Ice forms on carb- any thoughts!

fauthpk

Venturi effect lowers the air temperature. Does the engine run okay? If not, you may need to route some heat (during cold temps) to the air inlet. If the engine runs okay, you do not need to do anything. Been a LONG time since I messed with gassers.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I had a 68 IH Scout in high school and it would load up and die in cold humid weather. The ice formed inside the carb. Once it the engine had some heat it would run fine. If this doesn't cause trouble it's no big deal. It actually runs better with a cold charge of air as this provides more oxygen for the burn. Heat is the only cure if it makes her run bad.

Good luck.

Greg

just like a airplane engine it can frezze at 70 degress if the air has enough moisture in it.

Right on target Glenn,

On aircraft trainers (I call them) a richer mixure is formed by using carb heat. A lever pulled like a choke to send heat to the carb. And yes in aircraft it can ice up on a humid day. In B20Macks situation, if it is not giving trouble then don't fix it. But if you are having issues then send some heat from the exhaust manifold up to your carb. May have to modify a copper tube or plate. I would use some exhaust wrap and that would insulate it from the cold. But when it gets warmer outside then you may want to discard the heat to keep down a vapor lock issue.

mike

I ha a Datsun pickup years back that would ice the carb and choke down. when i found out what was happeing i found some one had removed the heat muff from the exhaust manifold to the aircleaner. I put one on it and problem fixed.Mike i ha a cessan that stopped runing with me and i know it was crb ice cause i didnt pull the heat. It was on final and no power on at 70degree temp but humid air.I had no problem putting it on the gtound but found that it was only wind milling after i added power.luck have it it was on the run way by then.

glenn akers

I ha a Datsun pickup years back that would ice the carb and choke down. when i found out what was happeing i found some one had removed the heat muff from the exhaust manifold to the aircleaner. I put one on it and problem fixed.Mike i ha a cessan that stopped runing with me and i know it was crb ice cause i didnt pull the heat. It was on final and no power on at 70degree temp but humid air.I had no problem putting it on the gtound but found that it was only wind milling after i added power.luck have it it was on the run way by then.

Glenn,

You are da man. It sure is a relief to know you were on short final. I went back to a thread that you talked about your training and looks like you have some skills behind your belt. I have only had a couple of close calls. On takeoff at end of runway 20@ about 800 msl a friend and I was looking south and in cockpit gauges a twin was crossing the south end coming from about 170 degrees and we just did see it in time before a bad mishap. I lowered the nose and he spoke to me but no time for explaining. I still believe the FAA has the better idea as to how an airplane is to approach any busy airport, big or small. Patten altitude @ our field is 1500msl and I feel everyone should stay out of the pattern until they are in the proper approach area, such as downwind, or say 5 mile final with jets. DO NOT CROSS MIDFIELD at anytime day or night. I believe it will keep down further incursions. I wish all pilots would adher to this idea.

mike

Mike i built a 150/150 texas taildragger that i liked. 150 with a 150 Lycombing engine and a tail drager kit and a prop twisted between cruze and power. I would climp pretty good for a trainer and the i had to trade it and get a 1958 180 cessna.I flew it 36 hrs and let the crosswind get under my left wing on final then not smart enough to go around so i nailed it down and ground looped it. I said this is showing me how slow i am getting so i put it away and sold it to another hand.It had float brakets and a sea going prop and the man wanted it bad.

glenn akers

When it gets about 40 degrees or below ice forms around bottom of carb. Anyone know what the issue is?

We had an old Dodge (Job Rated) 1956? maybe? Well it had a 413 flat head 6 with two carbs that used to do the same thing, (in cold weather) all we did was put 2 cans of dry gas in every time we gased her up and it did not do it anymore

BULLHUSK

We had an old Dodge (Job Rated) 1956? maybe? Well it had a 413 flat head 6 with two carbs that used to do the same thing, (in cold weather) all we did was put 2 cans of dry gas in every time we gased her up and it did not do it anymore

BULLHUSK

thank you all. I figured it was a Venturi issue. The dry gas is a great idea.