1958 B75 + END673, single axle (recovery)

OK, looks like this weekend my brother and I will try to recover the 1958 B75. There will be a lot of images taken, and posted..

Can anyone say how much a 1958 B75 single axle tractor weighs in stock form?

What are the tie down points on it (if any are specified) for trailering?

Is it a complete idiocy to trailer it slowly on flat Texas roads with a dodge 1500 pickup truck or can that be accomplished? I'm skeptical because I've seen what can happen and the pickup has little weight/traction in the rear.

(I am not in charge of this! but I seek wisdom coming from experience)

You will be cruising for disaster with a 1500 truck. You need at least a 2500 with a 20,000 lb. gvw trailer with two axles and good brakes. You should also have a diesel truck or big block gas rig to pull that beast. I hauled my B753 home with my Duramax and 20k gooseneck trailer, and I really knew it was back there.

If it was all back roads with no chance of the police giving me shit for going less then 10 mph and there were no hills of any size I would do it. Likely never get out of first gear and if the truck is 4x4 I would use the low-range without the hubs locked in for any tight areas I had to maneuver. But then again I am the kind of guy that bought a 5-yard dump truck in down town Portland OR and drove it 50 miles up a kinda busy 2 lane highway. The truck had an engine that was a knocking, the rear diff was stuck in low range.... 25 mph tops, the tires were almost as old as I am and had no tread cracked to heck and one splitting all the way around at the bead to the belts and almost flat, no wipers in the rain driving with my head out the window, backfire'n up the carb, no lights or signals and old plates. Some how I didn't get pulled over.

Yea, I think using the M818 to pull the trailer is the best bet. But if you absolutley have to, you can probably pull it with the dodge as long as the trailer has good brakes and you drive very carefully. If it is truely flat the whole way, it should be alright. But I would definately see if you could use a heavier duty truck if possible.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Yea, but some of us less fortunate folks don't have fancy lowboys or the money to pay somebody that does :whistling:

Ben

No offense, but they should have thought about that before they committed to the purchase. Now not only are they going to endanger themselves but anyone else out on the road that they may come in contact with. It is clearly obvious that this guy (and I mean no offense to him whatsoever) has absolutely zero clue about what he is doing.

Towing a B with a 1500? ARE YOU INSANE??????

I see it too often in this hobby, especially with antique firetrucks- people purchase trucks with their emotions, and not their common sense. Not having a clue in the world about how much money it can or will take to restore a rig, let alone make it safe and roadworthy- batteries, tires, brakes.....just to get it home or back and forth to truck shows. Or they purchase them without indoor storage.....and then they sit and get attacked by the elements, or worse- by the local Zoning man for being stored in a residential neighborhood that does not allow outside storage of large vehicles.

DO IT RIGHT (which means doing it safely) OR DONT DO IT AT ALL. Hire someone or rent the proper equipment to get the B from point A to Point B so that you dont kill yourselves or anyone else. If you can't afford it, what makes you think you can afford the B?????

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

No offense, but they should have thought about that before they committed to the purchase. Now not only are they going to endanger themselves but anyone else out on the road that they may come in contact with. It is clearly obvious that this guy (and I mean no offense to him whatsoever) has absolutely zero clue about what he is doing.

Towing a B with a 1500? ARE YOU INSANE??????

I see it too often in this hobby, especially with antique firetrucks- people purchase trucks with their emotions, and not their common sense. Not having a clue in the world about how much money it can or will take to restore a rig, let alone make it safe and roadworthy- batteries, tires, brakes.....just to get it home or back and forth to truck shows. Or they purchase them without indoor storage.....and then they sit and get attacked by the elements, or worse- by the local Zoning man for being stored in a residential neighborhood that does not allow outside storage of large vehicles.

DO IT RIGHT (which means doing it safely) OR DONT DO IT AT ALL. Hire someone or rent the proper equipment to get the B from point A to Point B so that you dont kill yourselves or anyone else. If you can't afford it, what makes you think you can afford the B?????

I have to agree with this statement. It's one of the things that has been holding me back from buying a big truck. Logistics of getting it home is the largest factor. I don't have big equipment or know anyone with the right equipment so will have to hire someone.

I can keep the truck at my shop but it will be stored outside so I can't buy anything too nice or it will get ruined.

• Like 1

I've done this before with slightly bigger stuff but not on main roads. I wasn't sure where the B75 was before but it turns out it is too far away from the storage yard to move it without heavier equipment. There is a professional that will transport it for $300 and that seems like the best thing going at this time.

The M818 no longer has a pintle but it would have easily moved the B75 anywhere. I gave up the M818's pintle in order to add the lift gate.