Strange International?

other dog

I saw this picture on FB, the fellow that posted it said it was a late '40s W series International.

So I said it was a W-71 Mack, and the headlights and grill must have been changed, and posted the same picture between two W-71s.

Then he posted this picture from a 2004 Wheels of Time-

I've never seen or heard of these before. The cab does look a lot like a W-71, but the red one looks exactly like a W-71 cab. Wonder if Mack made them stop making them because of the similarity? And the W-71 was made from '53 to '58- wonder if Mack took the design from International?..I just don't know, anybody?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

WoW! Very interesting.

One thing I noticed is how the windshield glass is cut. The Mack has rounded corners and the IH looks to have more of a square cut.

Some many other features say IH.

Was this a case where both cabs came out of Orrville or some other sub contractor?

I will be interested to hear the story behind this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

This is a International W-3034-L. Fred Crismon's book says these were built around 1947, and has a photo in his book of one built for LASME. A similar single axle W-3042-L model was built in very low numbers in 1946. According to the Stan Holtzman book.

Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

WoW! Very interesting.

One thing I noticed is how the windshield glass is cut. The Mack has rounded corners and the IH looks to have more of a square cut.

Some many other features say IH.

Was this a case where both cabs came out of Orrville or some other sub contractor?

I will be interested to hear the story behind this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

yeah, and they're rounded like the Mack on the red one, but the vents and step under the door are the same as on the WOT IH.The red one has no IH emblem that I can see, or a bulldog either. That red one still looks way similar to the W-71, much more so than the one in Wheels of Time.

I cant remember where i read it,wheels of time maybe? but there was a discussion about why the G-model Mack was so short-lived,and according to what a remember,it was something about trademark rights/simmilarities between Macks cab and the Kenworth cab of the same era,gotta admit they are pretty similar eh?....................................Mark

post-5836-0-28940300-1343862513_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-25359600-1343862522_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-00712900-1343862539_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-12171000-1343862549_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark, I heard the doors from a KW would fit on the G.

I cant remember where i read it,wheels of time maybe? but there was a discussion about why the G-model Mack was so short-lived,and according to what a remember,it was something about trademark rights/simmilarities between Macks cab and the Kenworth cab of the same era,gotta admit they are pretty similar eh?....................................Mark

Mark - I heard someone say the doors from the KW would fit the G.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Grand pa of the Emeryville

This is a International W-3034-L. Fred Crismon's book says these were built around 1947, and has a photo in his book of one built for LASME. A similar single axle W-3042-L model was built in very low numbers in 1946. According to the Stan Holtzman book.

Paul

post-3242-0-64810800-1343864300_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-34051900-1343864301_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-40311100-1343864302_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Grand pa of the Emeryville

Paul

post-3242-0-64810800-1343864300_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-34051900-1343864301_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-40311100-1343864302_thumb.jp

Thank you for the pictures. Well I'll be! I thought i'd seen most everything, or at least heard of everything, but this IH is all new to me.

The clue was the 3 Diamond Badge in the "grey" photo. I.H used that badge until 49 or 50. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul Fred Crimson's book paid off already in information for you and the rest of us. Joe D.

Sure did!! Even answered a lot of Questions on my I.H. that I didn't even have. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

i thought it was a kenworth myself,,,if you guys remember back,,theres been cab manufacturers that made cabs for more than 1 make with same white,autocar,diamond reo,,,and reo,and IH,,even made a mack, hayes,mack,with a ford cab,,,know a guy that has one,,ive also seen austrailian macks that look like western stars,so these similarities dont surprize me by the way,,,i used to own a F600 that was an old greyhound rig.bob

Hayes used the F model cabover cab.Mack called it the Interstater and Hayes called it the Clipper.One here in town,couple up Island.Rusted out fairly fast here same as the Budd cab rusted out ahead of there time.

you know,,,i think ive only seen 2 in my life,,,not very common.bob