673 P Engine Liners

Mike

All the dry liners for a Mack six cylinder are the same unless they are made for a fire ring or are for an END 711(5" bore).

What you need to do is clean the bores out in the block and measure to see what size O.D. liners you need.

Liners used to come in std. , P2(.002" over),P4(.004" over) P6,P8,P10,P12,P20,P30---don't know how many are still available.

I used to use a trick to find out what size liners were in an engine after I removed them---using a ball faced mic measure the wall thickness about an inch up from the bottom of the liner.

Here's where the memory fails me, used to be a std. would mic out at either .107" or .109" can't remember which one for sure but think it was .109".

So if you check the thickness of the liners and they mic out at .110" they would be .002" over or P2's, if they mic out at .111" they would be .004" over or P4's

Hope this is of some help to you.

Ron

All the dry liners for a Mack six cylinder are the same unless they are made for a fire ring or are for an END 711(5" bore).

What you need to do is clean the bores out in the block and measure to see what size O.D. liners you need.

Liners used to come in std. , P2(.002" over),P4(.004" over) P6,P8,P10,P12,P20,P30---don't know how many are still available.

I used to use a trick to find out what size liners were in an engine after I removed them---using a ball faced mic measure the wall thickness about an inch up from the bottom of the liner.

Here's where the memory fails me, used to be a std. would mic out at either .107" or .109" can't remember which one for sure but think it was .109".

So if you check the thickness of the liners and they if mic out at .110" they would be .002" over or P2's, if they mic out at .011" they would be .004" over or P4's

Hope this is of some help to you.

Ron

Use a piston wrist pin for the rounded surface if you don't have a ball end micrometer.

I used to do the same thing Ron and you are "spot on" with the advice. I've seen several engines that used differing sets of liners too and some never being rebuilt so each needs to measured before ordering replacements unless the block is to be bored.

Rob

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Ron for the advice. All pistons are standard with this number. G-6 4.869

41232 - P1

Number 1 piston is standard but it has a different code of CAM - G - 6 this piston was replaced at some time in it's life with another owner.

41232 - P1

Ok sounds like a good deal Larry, but ya need to send a photo of your G/F and then i'll decide. LOL

mike

Mike

The pistons are always the same size, it's the O.D. of the liners that fit into the bores in the block that change.

These could be different sizes from previous rebuilds or a lot of other reasons.

If the bores in the block are out of round or tapered then they have to be either honed out or machined to accept an oversize liner

these have to have a good snug fit so proper heat transfer can take place.

Ron

Mike

The pistons are always the same size, it's the O.D. of the liners that fit into the bores in the block that change.

These could be different sizes from previous rebuilds or a lot of other reasons.

If the bores in the block are out of round or tapered then they have to be either honed out or machined to accept an oversize liner

these have to have a good snug fit so proper heat transfer can take place.

Ron

I see what you mean now Ron. I'll mike all of them and see if any are different Outside Diameters. I hope I can still get these liners.

mike

It all depends on how the original fit was.

If you look at the picture Mike posted you see the really rusted ones that probably "grunted" pretty good coming out.

Then if you look at the shiny ones they weren't as bad.

O.T.C. makes a hydraulic puller rated at 17 tons to pull the Mack dry liners.

I had one of these that worked very well. Also had a homemade one using a bottle jack that did the job too.

Ron

They are hard to get out.I use a home built with a power ram to pull but its hard to use it on the rear cyl if in the frame.Here is another puller that will work on the later mack engines. Some times i have to run a few beads up and down the inside of the liner with welding rod tro pull. glenn

glenn akers