Another question

tkobes43

Hey Guys,

Most of you know I'm trying to obtain my CDL permit. I passed my general knowledge test and I'm having a very tough time passing my air brake and combo test.I I have read my CDL book front to back about 3 times now. I think i know the material very well but when it comes time to take the test i have a huge brain fart.... So my question to you guys is, would there be any possible way i would not need a CDL to drive my truck with a load on it. Wether its registering as something different, not exceeding a weight limit, etc. I would like to have the option to leave state to either deliver a load and or go and get a truck for personal use "mack". I tried to explain my question as best as i could. If you do not understand please just ask a question and i will try and explain it further!!!!

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Study more and relax . The weight limit for non CDL is 26000, Pretty easy to go over,IMO. You still have to stop at weigh stations, and prove what you have on it or in it is for your personal use and if you bust the weight limit, be prepared to pay per pound over. Just not worth the crap. Don't let the test stress you out, you know the material, relax and you'll be fine. Remember even the idiot from American Trucker passed his test. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't sweat it... I took my air brake and combo test 2 times and the dmv lady said i need to go home and study the book a little more. I told her i was ready to take it again and she replied id have to wait 30 days or whatever it is if i failed again... Took it the third time and passed... Alot of the questions are worded to mess you up, just think them through , you'll be fine.

When I worked for Alberta Mack in Calgary I had a B.C. licence, my boss said I'd better get an Alberta Lic just to be safe, after my next trip bringing in 3 new Macks piggy-backed I ran the lead tractor up to the D/L office, wrote the exam then went for the usual test-ride. I was crestfallen to say the least when the Examiner told me I was the worst driver he'd ever ridden with. He gave me my licence but said he thought he was making a mistake. A few weeks later several of my buddies and I were having a beer when I said. "I think I know the bartender." A pal said. "He works part time here but he's a full time Driver Examiner - when I took my test he told me I was the worst driver he'd ever tested but he gave me my licence anyway. He tells that to everyone - thinks it will scare them into being safer." Keep at it New Jersey, we've all been there. Ted Campbell

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Most of you know I'm trying to obtain my CDL permit. I passed my general knowledge test and I'm having a very tough time passing my air brake and combo test.I I have read my CDL book front to back about 3 times now. I think i know the material very well but when it comes time to take the test i have a huge brain fart.... So my question to you guys is, would there be any possible way i would not need a CDL to drive my truck with a load on it. Wether its registering as something different, not exceeding a weight limit, etc. I would like to have the option to leave state to either deliver a load and or go and get a truck for personal use "mack". I tried to explain my question as best as i could. If you do not understand please just ask a question and i will try and explain it further!!!!

Tom

you can go online and take a "practice" test in Va. for a drivers license, not sure about a CDL test though. You might look into that in NJ, it could help you.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Just take it again, and again, and again if necessary.

Paul is right - just go in and relax. Most places give you enough time that you can read through the whole test first, then go back and answer the questions, then go back and reread the whole thing over again and make sure the answers you used still make sense. They like to throw in questions to trip you up, so just really go slow and make sure you know what they are asking.

Don't feel bad, most guys on here can barely write, so you already have most of us beat!

HI !

Take your time read the book make yourself a couple of sketches of what you have problem with ,

right before the test get as much s.e.x. as you can get , tell yourself that you are the best and that

you will succeed and then tada !!!

• Like 1

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

Just take it again, and again, and again if necessary.

Paul is right - just go in and relax. Most places give you enough time that you can read through the whole test first, then go back and answer the questions, then go back and reread the whole thing over again and make sure the answers you used still make sense. They like to throw in questions to trip you up, so just really go slow and make sure you know what they are asking.

Don't feel bad, most guys on here can barely write, so you already have most of us beat!

U don rit tha gode olive

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You better leave Vinny and Hat out of this.

:notworthy:

P.T.CHESHIRE

Study more and relax . The weight limit for non CDL is 26000, Pretty easy to go over,IMO. You still have to stop at weigh stations, and prove what you have on it or in it is for your personal use and if you bust the weight limit, be prepared to pay per pound over. Just not worth the crap. Don't let the test stress you out, you know the material, relax and you'll be fine. Remember even the idiot from American Trucker passed his test. Paul

Thanks for the response Paul! Im gonna give it my best shot next time. slow down and relax. Another question, Would i be aloud to take my International and trailer and go out of state to deliver a load that is UNDER 26000? Or am i not aloud to leave state period until I'm 21.

That question i would ask NJDMV and NJ DOT, and print the answer to take with you. The enforcement seems to change from state to state and even county to county. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Seriously,Tom you have been given some good advise,just slow down,and don't overthink your material,you'll get it! NJ law(along with federal) reqiures anyone operating ANYTHING with airbrakes to have a CDL period! whats giving you trouble? maybe i can give you some pointers,or at least get you pointed in the right direction........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Seriously,Tom you have been given some good advise,just slow down,and don't overthink your material,you'll get it! NJ law(along with federal) reqiures anyone operating ANYTHING with airbrakes to have a CDL period! whats giving you trouble? maybe i can give you some pointers,or at least get you pointed in the right direction........................Mark

Really? We rented a Penske truck a few years ago, it had air brakes and we did not need a cdl to operate it!!

Tom

Really? We rented a Penske truck a few years ago, it had air brakes and we did not need a cdl to operate it!!

Tom

I know that in Vermont if the truck is under 26k, no cdl needed regardless of whether or not it has air brakes.

In PA if a truck is under 26k GVW with air brakes you can drive the truck with a Class C (under 26,000 GVW) as long as you have an Air-Brake Endorsement meaning you took and passed the test on Air-Brakes. I rented a Ryder truck last year 26k GVW and was asked to show my CDL when signing the rental agreement. My point being, it varies from state to state. It's best to call your State Motor Vehicle dept. and get the specifics for where you live.