Fiberglass paint?

I finished planting corn today. The planter boxes are made of some type of lightweight fiberglass. They are getting older and have lost their outer hard covering. I think it was some sort of coating/paint. It has not peeled or flaked off, it is more like it just has faded away from sun exposure/age.

post-6658-0-11941600-1336876363_thumb.jp

My sons are the head seed sack toters around here and I want to smooth these up so they have an easier job. If you rub up against them the way they are, for the rest of the day you have the "itchies".

What can I paint or coat these with?

post-6658-0-69710200-1336876405_thumb.jp

what about putting another layer of the resin over it (just leave the fiber glass out)? I dont know if it will work but the theory seems sound.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

what about putting another layer of the resin over it (just leave the fiber glass out)? I dont know if it will work but the theory seems sound.

You can do that but it will be cracking out and peeling in about a year. You are looking to encapsulate the exposed glass fibers.

There are a couple of options here:

Truck bed liner available at parts stores and commonly referred to as "Herculiner" but this is another temporary repair although it will last a couple of years.

Sprayed on truck bed liner which will be permanent but is expensive. The aforementioned liner is not very flexible once applied and most seep hoppers do flex in operation when full. "RhinoLiner", "Line-X", "Ultimate Liner", "SpeedLiner", etc. are of a polyurethane nature and do flex somewhat.

An industrial two part polyurethane based enamel available at a paint vendor.

The reason the fiberglass resin will not work is the lack of application thickness. Anything less than 1/8" applied film thickness will not withstand the flexing these items endure. Another thing most don't understand is that fiberglass resin will not bond to itself without abrasion. Even then, adhesion is marginal.

Originally the seed hoppers had a polyvinylcloride, (PVC) coating with a UV stabilizer sprayed onto them when new. Age has taken it's toll as these things are seldom kept out of sunlight when not being used. It breaks down the coating revealing the understructure as seen in the photo. Sweaty skin is a magnet for exposed glass fibers; hence the "itchies".

A couple gallons of house paint would work also but won't hold up too long.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I posted pics of this MH awhile back,looks like I'm getting it now.It's doing the same thing in spots.The guy that I'm getting it from sanded a small spot with his DA and it smoothed up nice,but I didn't know if that was the right way to prep it before painting.post-61-0-19184900-1336920705_thumb.jpgpost-61-0-65014200-1336920764_thumb.jpg

Olive, I was thinking about those cows drinking the fine fiberglass fibers and it going into the milk and you all drinking the milk. I'd bury those and find some stainless deep sinks and they will last longer than anything else.

mike

The milk tastes really good with that stuff floating around in there - and aren't we supposed to have more fiber in our diet?

The milk tastes really good with that stuff floating around in there - and aren't we supposed to have more fiber in our diet?

Yes, butt that stuff has been known to hangup in there and ya got to dig it out with both hands, just like you do your horses. Don't recommend drinkin milk and having an enema at the same time. Also will corrode pipes and cause meltdowns in outhouses.

mike

Yes, butt that stuff has been known to hangup in there and ya got to dig it out with both hands, just like you do your horses.

mike

One summer I worked at a horse farm until the day they put me in charge of cleaning all the geldings sheaths. Digging that shit out of there was my limit - no more for this farm boy, we all have our limits!

One summer I worked at a horse farm until the day they put me in charge of cleaning all the geldings sheaths. Digging that shit out of there was my limit - no more for this farm boy, we all have our limits!

Olive, If ya didn't get past the smell.....then ya didn't have it licked. LOL What about when ya have calves due?

mike

Since I was long ago "gelded" which one of you fine gents wants to come over here to clean my sheath?

The world wonders.

I've seen my daughter do it on horses many times with a hose and I must apologize as it is not an option for you guys.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Since I was long ago "gelded" which one of you fine gents wants to come over here to clean my sheath?

The world wonders.

I've seen my daughter do it on horses many times with a hose and I must apologize as it is not an option for you guys.

Rob

I guess i'll have to wear my horse outfit again. She does an excellent job using the hoses......and somestimes three at a time. I'll fly up this afternoon if the rates have not gone up since last year.

See ya!

Now got to get a weather briefing and then pre-flight the airplane.

I'll be up there directly.

mike

The world wonders.

Rob

Hows abouts I grab up me a big ol' handfull of them fiberglass shards off my planter boxes and stick them where the sun does not shine?

By the way - what color is the sun in your world? Is this the new question that friends ask each other as a way of greeting?

Hows abouts I grab up me a big ol' handfull of them fiberglass shards off my planter boxes and stick them where the sun does not shine?

By the way - what color is the sun in your world? Is this the new question that friends ask each other as a way of greeting?

Sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to it. Please, in the act of dignity use new gloves or bare hands. It all washes off you know.

Some say I squeal a lot, so be tolerant.

The sun is still bright yellow in the east and brilliant orange in the west near dusk. Been that way as long as I can remember; even before Obama.

Rob

Olive

Gel coat is what you need about $50 for a gallon. Gel coat can be applied with a standard paint gun with primer nozzle (70-80 thousandths) at 40-50 psi or Preval sprayer. Make sure that the catalyzed gelcoat does not set up inside the sprayer. The sprayer needs to be cleaned with acetone before the gel coat gels. The gel time is typically 17 to 20 minutes. Gel coat can be also applied with a brush or a roller.

My father in-law owns a marina/repair and I have help in the past while visting. Not real hard to put on.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Worked part time at a boat shop for about 15 years where we did a lot of fiberglass repair. You could gel coat them, but it's pretty hard to get a decent finish on something that big without the proper gear. Gel coat is applied to the mold before the glass is laid up, so the wet glass bonds to the gel coat, not the other way around.

One thought I had was to check into the "heat shrink" product that sign makers use to "wrap" a vehicle. It should be sun durable and would encapsulate the glass fibers.

Have you looked on-line for suggestions? A while back one of the TV shows about boating, ShipShape TV, featured a re-build of an older Sea Bird boat where the host used a roll on product to replace the gel coat. I cannot remember the product, but I'm sure a shop that specializes in fiberglass supplies could steer you in the right direction. You might even ask at West Marine if there is a store near you.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!