I Think There is Sumpin Wrong With This dE-tROit

Nothing wrong with Detroits, they helped shape this country, dont be making fun of them, I kinda like em, least they dont need kick stands when they park,,,randp

I like Detroits because they are loud. My favorite is a 318. I just make fun a little bit because they are not a Mack :twothumbsup: I have nothing against them though. Vinny

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

"Hunting" is common with cold 6-71's.

It is a fairly easy adjustment to control that "roll". Many just don't do it until there is problems with the overhead injection system. It is very common but not in a maintained unit.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Injectors? Not all cylinders working? I can tell its a detroit because you can here it from 10 miles away, and it sounds like it kind of "hunts" in the beggining. (I can also tell because there is always something wrong with them) :banana::clock_logo:

Vinny,

Maybe you would have liked Air-Products U's with the Detroit 6V-92's back in the 80's???

• Like 1

It just doesn't sound right because the driver forgot to smash his hand in the door first. He wasn't driving it mad enough. He was just babying it along. Got to take'r up to the govn'r and then shift it.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

You hit the nail on the head Larry,,,,to get ready to drive a detroit, go ahead and open door of truck, insert thumb, and slam as hard as you can. You are now in a proper mood and mind set to properly gnash on a detroit. been there, done that, it works,,,,randyp

All D. D. s blow smoke. That Crackerbox is a cool truck, i saw one of the earlier ones with the Air Bags front and rear, A arm front suspension. Pretty advanced for the time.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

At least 2 on the ATHS show curcuit................Schroyers from Celina,OH and Mack Scheesley from Phoenix . Mack had a front wheel off his at the 2004 California show to display that front suspension . Another weird thing on those units is the eaton 2 speed has a special cast iron rear cover and mounts the 2 speed shifter motor behind the axle . All this because it's built with a fabricated steel frame with X type crossmembers ,giving no room for a normal shifter ahead of the axle .

Injectors? Not all cylinders working? I can tell its a detroit because you can here it from 10 miles away, and it sounds like it kind of "hunts" in the beggining. (I can also tell because there is always something wrong with them) :banana::clock_logo:

That is a proper running Detroit. Great engine that turns oil and fuel into noise, smoke and oil stains....oh and horse power, almost for that. They liked to hunt like that when cold or when they needed adjustment, hunted at idle.

Oh, here is a real neat cracker box I found on TP, day cab, tandem, and a 318! : http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3556007&

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

At least 2 on the ATHS show curcuit................Schroyers from Celina,OH and Mack Scheesley from Phoenix . Mack had a front wheel off his at the 2004 California show to display that front suspension . Another weird thing on those units is the eaton 2 speed has a special cast iron rear cover and mounts the 2 speed shifter motor behind the axle . All this because it's built with a fabricated steel frame with X type crossmembers ,giving no room for a normal shifter ahead of the axle .

I took a ton of photos of Macks truck and talked with him about the really early version with the air tanks in the rear trailing arms. Interesting trucks. Paul

103-0338_IMG.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is a proper running Detroit. Great engine that turns oil and fuel into noise, smoke and oil stains....oh and horse power, almost for that. They liked to hunt like that when cold or when they needed adjustment, hunted at idle.

Oh, here is a real neat cracker box I found on TP, day cab, tandem, and a 318! : http://www.truckpape...x?OHID=3556007

That CrackerBox looks rough!!!

You know, now that I've watched it a couple of times, I think it was missig a little bit. Sounded like a 6-71 missing on one cylinder (5-71) Glad it runs better now.

Ben

Thats what I thought but everybody said it wasnt. I guess Cousin Ben and I are the ExPeRtSS :SMOKIE-LFT::iamwithstupid: <<<<,Just kidding on that one Cousin Ben.

Thats what I thought but everybody said it wasnt. I guess Cousin Ben and I are the ExPeRtSS :SMOKIE-LFT::iamwithstupid: <<<<,Just kidding on that one Cousin Ben.

It was misfiring on a cylinder. I thought others knew that. It was being overfueled to the point it could not burn the mixture with the supplied air. If the emergency shutoff door was tripped closed, and the engine continued to run, there is something wrong with the door sealing cause that shouldn't happen. Detroit two strokers may smoke, but that was excessive.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It was misfiring on a cylinder. I thought others knew that. It was being overfueled to the point it could not burn the mixture with the supplied air. If the emergency shutoff door was tripped closed, and the engine continued to run, there is something wrong with the door sealing cause that shouldn't happen. Detroit two strokers may smoke, but that was excessive.

Uncle Rob

Fine, Uncle Rob, Cousin Ben, and I are all ExPeRtSsss :iamwithstupid: -------times 2.

Fine, Uncle Rob, Cousin Ben, and I are all ExPeRtSsss :iamwithstupid: -------times 2.

I ain't no expert in nuthin. Just been around them damned thangs a long time.

Uncle Rob