Anybody Know What Kind of Transmission is in my U?

I gonna guess but will not be responsible for inaccurate information :whistling:

A 5 speed direct in 1975 should be a TRL 1076 or 1078. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2, but Mack made a bazillion of them.

OK, I thought it would be a TRL 10 something but I didnt know what the rest of the numbers woud be.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Slide under the truck on the driver's side and there is a flat pad in the case where the trans info will be stamped. Might take a minute to clean it so it can be read.

I try to write info like that in a small notebook and keep it in the glove box if needed in the future.

Jim

Have somebody with you in case the truck flips over!

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Slide under the truck on the driver's side and there is a flat pad in the case where the trans info will be stamped. Might take a minute to clean it so it can be read.

I try to write info like that in a small notebook and keep it in the glove box if needed in the future.

Jim

Have somebody with you in case the truck flips over!

OK, I'll check under there later and right it down and let you guys know. If I dont let you guys know, im prolly squashed underneath the drivers side door.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Being a tractor originally of disrespected R model origins I'd think it is prolly a TRL107 series. I've seen the TRL 1076 in an R model tractor and it did not have a PTO driving gear, and neither did the 1078 series I removed from an F series cabover. Both of these other transmissions are readily adaptable for the gear, just not installed factory from my observance.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

OK, I'll check under there later and right it down and let you guys know. If I dont let you guys know, im prolly squashed underneath the drivers side door.

Go under the frame rail and raise up beside the transmission, or look up at an angle.

Although the wheels are still on the ground be certain to use jack stands on the left side for safety's sake.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The TRL1078 was made to take the extra torque of the Maxidyne V8.

Although I didn't know it that does make sense. The transmission is still attached to the V8 out of the truck.

Rob

The TRL1078 was made to take the extra torque of the Maxidyne V8.

Thanks for the info.

Dang - I don't get it - and I thought tranny was such a nice word? Honestly - what's the problem with it? Thanks in advance, have a nice day

Paweł

Here's the first result on Google images for Tranny.

hi-im-tranny-large-msg-120416082356.jpg

Jim

Thanks for the info.

Here's the first result on Google images for Tranny.

hi-im-tranny-large-msg-120416082356.jpg

Looks like it would leave lipstick on the dipstick.

Rob

eeewwwwwww, why is this crap on my thread? I figured out what kind of "transmission" is in my U, so what is this crap. I thought the discussion was over? :idunno:

You got a lot yet to learn here on BMT.

We'll teach you; pay attention so we don't waste the effort.

Uncle Rob

Yeah Vinny - this thread is not just for you! I learned something too :D I'm still going to use this word in an automotive context - them dirty minds can't be kept from thinking dirty, those who will want to will understand. Keep on trucking, have a nice day

Paweł

• Like 1