broke down in Mt Airy N.C. 3/22/12

Do you have VIN# of truck, I can at least give you part number you nned for repair. Rich

Rich,the vin is 1M1AK07Y35N004466 You might need the whole number, last time they used the last four it cost me with a $8600.00 "mistake" so they tell me. Bought a transmission and clutch and it was a ride height adjustment. They got that wrong by 3+ inches.

Luce-y - sorry for your misfortune!

But if you have to break down, that is a good place to do it. If you do get stranded for a bit, that is the town that they modeled Mayberry after on the Andy Griffith show.

The blushing bride and I and a few of the brood stayed there for a few days years ago. They had the best diner on the main street and I even got a hair cut at Floyd's barber shop.

What did the engine/turbo start doing or not doing?

Luce-y - sorry for your misfortune!

But if you have to break down, that is a good place to do it. If you do get stranded for a bit, that is the town that they modeled Mayberry after on the Andy Griffith show.

The blushing bride and I and a few of the brood stayed there for a few days years ago. They had the best diner on the main street and I even got a hair cut at Floyd's barber shop.

What did the engine/turbo start doing or not doing?

Is that true? I should unhook and limp into town. Started getting a puffing noise out the intake, when I put my hand on the intercooler hose on the drivers side I can feel it puffing, no boost. If I throttle it at idle it goes from 1 to 0 pounds. There is a little oil below the turbo on the frame, looks like the big round gasket on the right facing it, where the cast iron flat plate bolts to the cast iron turbo body. I thought maybe it swollowed an intake valve but with no load it revs smooth, no smoke or popping. The oil makes and no boost makes me think turbo.

Luce-y :

Does not sound too good - no boost won't do much for you.

That is true about Mt. Airy. Great place to visit. I also remember there is Pilot Mountain nearby that Andy Griffith changed to Mt. Pilot in the TV show.

Andy Griffith grew up there and they have a Mayberry festival in the fall that we went to -

None of this helps you find a turbo though!

Well, stayed at the International dealer from 10:30 Sunday till they opened, nothing they could do, only did Internationals, nice guys though. So took off for the nearest Mack dealer, down 77 to 40 Greensboro N.C. seems they know what they are doing, the guy on my truck anyway. We both pinpointed it down to a loose rocker and even picked the righ cylinder. The turbo was ok, as I left Airy Mt. it would boost up if I got on it so the popping was what I was affraid off. So found a broken rocker bold and one loose in number 4, the set had moved so much they chafed the head beyond repair, he checked the front and it was the same, one bold finger tight and chafing. So two new complete heads. The base pan was removed to check the cam, H clips and ceramic rollers, all perfect, a blessing. Exhaust manifold has to come off and he found manifold gasket leaks on 2 cylinders anyway so thats another fix out of the way with the new and improved manifold gasket, also new and improved rocker train bolts and lock tite. Should be done Wed night, $8300.00 Trucking!!! I wish I had my 20% over injector nozzels with me, now would be the time.

They want me to trade for a new one with a MP8 but my home town Mack garage was the one that cost me $8600.00 last week on the transmission when it was the ride height after all and they adjusted the valves before this trip so I don't think I want to go there anymore.Thanks for all the concern and the funny stuff too, makes me feel better anyway. donations and flowers can be sent to Days in Greensboro N.C. room 165

Thanks for all the concern and the funny stuff too, makes me feel better anyway. donations and flowers can be sent to Days in Greensboro N.C. room 165

Luce-y: Sorry about your expensive stop - you will never look at Andy Griffith the same again?

$8600 one week, $8300 the next - at least it is decreasing. You could have bought a new Ford Focus.

Luce-y: Sorry about your expensive stop - you will never look at Andy Griffith the same again?

$8600 one week, $8300 the next - at least it is decreasing. You could have bought a new Ford Focus.

Didn't that cross my mind, a new Ford Focus and unemployment. Just not built that way though. She's just about all new so hope she stays together for 400 500k.

Didn't that cross my mind, a new Ford Focus and unemployment. Just not built that way though. She's just about all new so hope she stays together for 400 500k.

That's the right way to look at repairs - you are investing in your truck for future brighter days!

Still waiting, motel for 2 nights, hope to be on the road Wed night.I have realized my life is battery operated, my phone is dead and my laptop has 3 minutes, no 110V chargers.

That is a quick ride to office depot in a cab or wally world. think you can get a laptop charger for under 50.00 and hell phone chargers are almost a dime a dozen unless it is over 6 months old then your screwed

That is a quick ride to office depot in a cab or wally world. think you can get a laptop charger for under 50.00 and hell phone chargers are almost a dime a dozen unless it is over 6 months old then your screwed

I got all the 12 volt chargers with me, will have to pack the 110 chargers in a bag and tuck it away in the truck just for these ocasions.

Looks like I might be out of here tonight Wed the 25th, had them do a bearing roll on the rods and mains while the base was off. Looking good. If you happen to live near or break down in Greensboro N.C. you can have faith in Transourse who is the Mack dealer. They have a drivers lounge that is nice too. Showers, bathrooms,laundry,cable tv flat panel, all free. Great bunch of guys, free ride to and from the motel every day no problem just ask or call and they are right there. Can't say enough about the mechanics, Jeff who has done my truck it very fussy and knows more then 10 people should, every update, every measurement to the 1 thousandth. Real pro's.

yeah we keep all chargers in the truck. We get alot of motels. Also my comp won't run on anything but 110. When you leaving? I'll be heading northbound tomorrow going to Charleston to load for La. Probably pass you. So where do you want to eat?

I got all the 12 volt chargers with me, will have to pack the 110 chargers in a bag and tuck it away in the truck just for these ocasions.

Looks like I might be out of here tonight Wed the 25th, had them do a bearing roll on the rods and mains while the base was off. Looking good. If you happen to live near or break down in Greensboro N.C. you can have faith in Transourse who is the Mack dealer. They have a drivers lounge that is nice too. Showers, bathrooms,laundry,cable tv flat panel, all free. Great bunch of guys, free ride to and from the motel every day no problem just ask or call and they are right there. Can't say enough about the mechanics, Jeff who has done my truck it very fussy and knows more then 10 people should, every update, every measurement to the 1 thousandth. Real pro's.

Sorry to hear of another $8k hit in the wallet but the satisfaction and piece of mind you received from the dealer is priceless. You were fortunate to find a dealer that has a genuine concern for it's service customers and employs at least one (if not more) true professional mechanic to boot. This could have easily turned into an even worse nightmare on the road, too bad the crew at your local dealer are a bunch of clowns.

Jim