Mack's I've Shot in the Past

As mentioned, I do photoshoots and write articles for 10-4 Magazine. Being largely a West Coast magazine we don't see many Mack's, but, we still get a few here and there. Here a few I've shot in the past for the magazine or friends...

teaser3d.jpg

Gary Disher's "Gone Postal" MR Mack cabover. What a fun little truck to drive!

dsc0187cropped.jpg

Howard Elliot's (Artranist) Rawhide. One of the first (or the first, from my understanding) Rawhide's built. A beautiful rig that he keeps up, never seen his truck dirty.

granite1.jpg

Not done for the Magazine, but, one of Gary's Mack Granite's, an '03 Model. Mack driveline front to back, really like this truck, actually what I took my drive test in.

Troy.

Images Copyright 10-4 Magazine/ Troy Miller

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

10-4 Magazine - For Today's Trucker!

creek2smallcroppedsigna.jpg

Photography is a Beautiful Thing...

Contributor - 10-4 Magazine

I'm Not Fearless, I'm Just Stupid.

Glad you guys like the shots. Gary built the MR "Gone Postal" solely to have something different from the many Pete and Kenworth largecars. He originally got the truck to use getting loads in and out of very tight jobsites (the truck grossed well over 100,000lbs.). He and several of his drivers taught me how to drive and Gone Postal is actually how I got in contact with them when I did a shoot and article on it a few years back. It was a very fun truck to go toodling around in and was certainly his calling card. It was recently sold to a collector out East as we have a few other projects at the moment.

Troy.

Why arent there alot more MR's being used as tractors? Is there a reason there not being used for dumps etc. Theres seems to be a ton of them around from refuse use and they sell fairly cheap . I thought I would pick one up to put my septic tank on. Any input would be appreciated. doug

There are a few around here with septic pumpers and septic tank setters. They work great in that application. I don't think they ride that good but I've never seen one on air ride; all spring, and heavy spec.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There are a few around here with septic pumpers and septic tank setters. They work great in that application. I don't think they ride that good but I've never seen one on air ride; all spring, and heavy spec.

Rob

You'd be right about rough-riding. Between sitting ahead/ over the steer axle and a short wheelbase, no room for an air-ride seat, and airbags nowhere on the truck it could slap pretty hard going over the bumps and potholes.

USPS has a fair number, at least around here, operating as tractors, mostly single-drive tractors, but a number of tandems, as well.

Troy.

You'd be right about rough-riding. Between sitting ahead/ over the steer axle and a short wheelbase, no room for an air-ride seat, and airbags nowhere on the truck it could slap pretty hard going over the bumps and potholes.

USPS has a fair number, at least around here, operating as tractors, mostly single-drive tractors, but a number of tandems, as well.

Troy.

Around here Ive never seen these used for anything other than garbage trucks. In Philly and New York city they use these as a garbage truck/ snowplow in the winter.

Out here I'd say the most common application to see would actually be as concrete pumpers. Also seen as roll-offs, tractors (USPS), as well as some various, specialized vocational rigs like super-vac rigs.

Troy.

Almost all the concrete pumps set on an MR chassis around this area also.

The city of Peoria has a couple still in service as fire engines also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Im going to keep my eyes open for one. Preferably a tri axle so I can get a big tank on it. All our septic pumping is pretty local I think I could live with the rough ride if I could find a good enough deal on one. Otherwise might just as well buy a conventional type truck.

Looked at Galasso's website and looks like I can see a MR all the way on end of line up. Whould be cool to see some MR dumps. http://galassomaterials.com/

That's right - they need to move that MR up to the front of the line, at least in front of that off-breed which I will not name in polite company.

I see the MRs mostly as Postal trucks and garbage trucks. some of the late model postal trucks had air ride rears. Seen a few roll off trucks, concret pumpers and just a few years ago I saw a guy running one as tractor trailer 5 axel 18 wheel a Dump truck. that was kinda cool to see..but I can only imagine how many times he hit his head on the roof of that cab running it in the off road.!

Back in the days when I started driving trucks, my first MACK was an MR-SERIES truck from the '80s with a WARREN Bulk Feed tanker body. There were more than 30 of these Mack MR / WARREN bulk feed tanker trucks and they served well beause most delivery areas were so thight for a tractor truck with a WARREN bulk feed tank trailer.

Also a mayor concrete contractor here mande its own version of MACK MR, concretre mixer truck and has some large flat bed MACK MR trucks.

The problem I see with the MACK TERRAPRO is that MACK markets this trucks as if they were just for the REFUSE and CONCRETE PUMPER industry, when that chassis series is great for so many aplications.

Well, MACK must wake up and do some TERRAPRO trucks with tanker, vaccum tanker, dump, bulk-feed tanker, flat bed, dry box, fuel tanker etc because the TERRAPRO will have some competition soon:

http://r2.cygnuspub....in_10683061.jpg

Brundage Bone's 7-axle, 115,000lb. flagship pumper.

dsc0169small.jpg

Troy.

Whoaaaaa!!!!! I really like those MACK Concrete Pumpers trucks. We are waiting for the grand re-opening of the mayor FEED producer in our area and got a friend thinking about that the MACK TERRAPRO is perfect for a 7 bin WARREN Bulk Feed Tanker.

That 7 Bin WARREN tanker on a KW W900 straight truck chassis will be too long, thats were I throw the TERRAPRO onto the mix.....

Another thing MACK needs to do is to make the M-DRIVE available on the MR-TERRAPRO chassis and kiss the ALLISON goodbye.

EM6285-

Around the yard I shot the Brundage-Bone pumpers, only about 3 of them actually had automatics , them, the rest (about 50 trucks total at that yard) had either 9 or 18-speed manuals in them. They have a fair number of "TOR" trucks, as well (off-brand that utilizes Mack MR components)

Troy.