Nope, I'm not struggling with the alphabet. I actually found a BCR sitting along the road a few years back and (excuse me while I pat myself on the back) knew what it was by seeing it from the front 100 yards away. Just enough time to get the truck slowed down (going uphill) and swing into the yard where it was parked.

I knew it was a BCR because of the way the front axle fit in the fenders. The company my Dad was working for had built one of these and you could see the difference compared to a factory R, especially when parked next to one. The first pic is kinda close up to see the steer tires.

Pictures taken with a cellphone camera.

BCRfront.jpg

BCRright.jpg

BCRnameplate.jpg

The interior, while dusty, appeared to be in new condition. No holes, nothing missing, no scratches, the seats were even in great shape. Once again however, the only person there had little info to offer and couldn't understand my interest in an old truck.

BCRint.jpg

Jim

This one like others I've seen uses a thinner, (probably the B series) radiator than a standard radiator also. Look at the side fillers where lights are mounted in the grille area on this one.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm on my way,little buddy! :twothumbsup: Always good to see other BCR's out there! Thanks for taking the pics there,Green Dash :clap: Along with the cab,hood,grille filler panels,bag of brackets,you also got a new steering gear with a short shaft on it so you could adapt the R's steering column to it.$3000.00 from your Mack parts counter and 60 man/hours of labor and you could catapult yourself right into the 70's!! :bulldog3: (and yes it uses the stock B-61 radiator)

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I'm on my way,little buddy! :twothumbsup: Always good to see other BCR's out there! Thanks for taking the pics there,Green Dash :clap: Along with the cab,hood,grille filler panels,bag of brackets,you also got a new steering gear with a short shaft on it so you could adapt the R's steering column to it.$3000.00 from your Mack parts counter and 60 man/hours of labor and you could catapult yourself right into the 70's!! :bulldog3: (and yes it uses the stock B-61 radiator)

So thats what this BCR is all about.....I never ever heard of this before. A conversion kit to bring a B-model into the R-model realm of the 70s. No kidding...

maybe im being dumb for asking but what is a bcr? After making the statement the other month about not knowing mack put cats in there trucks i dont want to make myself look dumb again.lol

There are no dumb questions! That is what this forum is for!

I had never heard of a BCR before this thread. A guy can sure learn a lot just reading on here.

I don't mind when my lack of brain power raises its ugly head and shows itself to the world - that way when people meet me in the flesh, I can enjoy seeing the shocked look on their faces when they see I know how to tie my shoes.

• Like 1

maybe im being dumb for asking but what is a bcr? After making the statement the other month about not knowing mack put cats in there trucks i dont want to make myself look dumb again.lol

B model

Converted to

R model

Or just B converted to R.

I thought I had a pic of the ID but this one read B61T. Does this mean the original serial number is used?

I know of another one that is probably the finest example of a BCR that any of us will ever see. MR. 57BCR, care to indulge us with a photo?

Thanks for the details. Any idea on how many kits were sold?

Jim

It turns out I took these pics 5 years ago. I forgot I posted them on Hank's along with links to pics of another BCR. There is also a link to a pic on this site of THE 57 BCR, but it no longer works.

Over there, my user name is Boll Weevil in honor of my Dad. That was his cb handle for 40+ years.

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=6720.msg51130#msg51130

Jim

Guys, I have posted a few pictures in my gallery "57 bcr's Trucks".Here's another! Superdog as soon as I can dig up the pictures,I will publish one of a B-73 that was converted,using the R-700 hood(very,very rare).The Mack Museum estimates somewhere between 4-5,000 of the BCR kits were sold.My next version of a B-61 will be built using the Clariben fiberglass hood.Not the prettiest version of the B.But yet another example of what you could do with a B.(if you wanted to)!post-510-0-43746000-1330101866.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

post-510-0-66905100-1330102882_thumb.jpgpost-510-0-93327600-1330102918_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a R700 BCR or literature pertaining to one?I heard once along time ago a few were built to convert B-70 series trucks but never have seen any documented proof.

Heres the picture and caption(zoom in on "D"),Superdog.Its from an old Canadian Mack Bulldog magazine from like '74! Wonder what that guy did with that cab? :loldude: Frank Szabo from out east,knew of a converted B-70 series wrecker in N.Y. that was pretty rough,but all the important pieces were there.I don't know what ever happened There.that was several years ago.Enjoy!
  • Like 1

Pretty interesting on the 700 truck conversion. The old style cab, (steel dash) yet using the later style grab bars. The fuel tanks are B series, exhaust hanger on the frame is B series, and the grille opening uses a partial closure panel to conceal the hinges.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yep,you needed something to fill that gap between the tiny radiator/shutter assy. of the B-61,and the now HUGE opening of the R series hood! The last time I was at the museum(it was still by the Lehigh Valley Airport,Allentown),Dale Guth told me they had just found the assembly intructions(in the form of Mack Service Bulletins) and he copied them and mailed them to me! What a bunch of information!! "Cut off this bracket & reweld here" was used a few times! The next year at Macungie a guy was selling the very same packet of information.Don't know if he got it from MACK or they got it from him? Not going to make any judgement about that.Just glad I have a copy,thanks to Dale Guth. :twothumbsup::clock_logo::clap: