new transportation bill allows for longer, heavier trucks on interstates

In Europe their 5 axle trucks are allowed to carry 40 metric tons which works out to 88,184.9 pounds, this is the norm. Their single drive axles are allowed something like 26,000 pounds. A tandem tractor (most always a 6x2 for highway work) is allowed 44 metric tons which is drum roll please: 97,003.4 pounds. This bill does nothing more then bring our trucks up to the European weights which have been in place for years (if not decades). And what puzzles me is many states allow more weight than 80,000 with permits. Example: NY allows 117,000 on 7 axles for dump trucks which are allowed on the highways. There is also a state out in the mid west (I want to say either Nevada or Utah) which already allows something like 100,000 on 6 axles.

All this pissing and moaning by pussy politicians using the usual "think of the children" argument is laughable (The big trucks will endanger the lives your family!). I want to know who is paying them to run their mouth. Plus the AAA complaining about the sorry shape our roads are in only highlights the pathetic amount of money being invested in our transportation system (create jobs anyone?).

Excerpt:

"I feel confident we're going to prevail here, but we're here to tell the leadership of the House that we're raring for a fight here," McGovern said. "We are going to fight. This is a serious issue."

Yea sure, real serious. What an ass hat.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

thats the way the coal business has been around here for years truck owners made more in the 70s than they do today. someone will bid a haul and someone else will bid adollar a ton less and they will get it and when they go broke or quit hauling the coal company forces everyone else to haul it for the same price or threatens to put them off of the property. thats why everyone around here has to haul 40/45 tons on a tandem to barely make any money.

thats the way the coal business has been around here for years truck owners made more in the 70s than they do today. someone will bid a haul and someone else will bid adollar a ton less and they will get it and when they go broke or quit hauling the coal company forces everyone else to haul it for the same price or threatens to put them off of the property. thats why everyone around here has to haul 40/45 tons on a tandem to barely make any money.

Just like everything else. If you sit and tell the coal company to piss off on the rate. Somebody might haul it. But when trucks get few and far between the rate goes up. In theory it works. I've sat for a week or to looking for a load because I wouldn't haul for pennies

And thats the downside. people sitting and running just to cover fuel. Theres no right or wrong. I've done it when I was leased elsewhere and got so far behind the 8 ball was gonna sell everything. Came here and been good ever since but had they of wanted any upfront escrow I would of been screwed I was that broke. Couldn't go any more backwards

Trucking can be a race to the bottom. Superdog has it 100% right....longer and heavier trucks are a shippers dream and a trucker's worst nightmare. Just like the move from 48' and 96" wide trailers to 53' and 102", if you show up with something less than a 53/102 nowadays, you probably will get turned away even it the shipment would fit on a pup.

If this ridiculous thing goes through, you're going to see triple axle trailers everywhere and most of them hauling loads that would have fit on a 48' tandem. Rates won't change one single bit and everyone will be bidding today's truckload rate on the heavier capacity. That means anything paying by the weight hauled at 80,000 gross will pay about 75% of what it does today (figuring 44k payload today versus 60k payload if this passes). Also, your existing equipment (tractors with tandems under 40k and tandem axle trailers) will be as worthless as a 44'x96" reefer was after the move to 48's and 53's.

Personally, I'd rather see trucking go back to 73,280 and 44' trailers. Why any trucker would be in favor of this is beyond me.

Not that I really knows hows to read or have a subscription to it or nuthin', but I read in the Wall Street Journal today that the bill got kicked to a committee for "more study" which really means it is over.

I'm totally against heavier and longer trucks.It will be just like when we went from 73,280 to 80,000.Haul more freight for the same rate,or in some cases less.

You are absoulutely right! i dont know why ANYONE envolved with trucking would support this! todays trucking companies are so cut-throat i'm sure they'd haul anything the shippers threw at them for pennies on the dollar,just to keep them as customers. But that doesnt work in the real world,ie; increased fuel use,maintanence,higher road use taxes,tolls etc.A bad idea all around! trucks dont need to be any heavier or longer,especially when most of the existing infastructure was set up to be serviced by straight trucks,and 40' trailers,holy shit its hard enough to get around with a 53' now! and 80K GVW is more than enough! so if this does go through,John Q.Public should'nt be surprized when a gallon of milk at the store is $15.00!................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It is going to happen - 97,000 on 6 axles - Panama Canal s being widened and deepend, ports are being dredged to deepen harbors for bigger ships - bigger ships, heavier containers, heavier trucks. Good for the shippers, bad for truckers - ton mile rates will continue to go in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

It is going to happen - 97,000 on 6 axles - Panama Canal s being widened and deepend, ports are being dredged to deepen harbors for bigger ships - bigger ships, heavier containers, heavier trucks. Good for the shippers, bad for truckers - ton mile rates will continue to go in the wrong direction.

You are right - bad news for truckers - look up the panama canal widening on the net - it was interesting what is going on with worldwide shipping. They had to do it, too many new ships being built that just won't fit.

These are the answers id rather hear about. Real reasons instead of trying to attack from a technical angle.

You are right - bad news for truckers - look up the panama canal widening on the net - it was interesting what is going on with worldwide shipping. They had to do it, too many new ships being built that just won't fit.

Don't worry. If the American drivers refuse to haul for pennies then the Mexicans will be more than happy to help us deliver our goods!

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I'm totally against heavier and longer trucks.It will be just like when we went from 73,280 to 80,000.Haul more freight for the same rate,or in some cases less.

that's exactly right. Like the treated lumber we haul now- they want us to drop our rates to the same thing TMC gets. They haul it from Va. to Toledo, Oh. for $525 to the truck and that's ridiculous! That would only pay me $131.25 and I get $206 and change to go to the Akron/Canton area now. The thing is, they always have the weight on the bills as between 44 and 46,000lbs. but the last load I weighed, just last Monday or Tuesday, I had over 51,000lbs. on so they already get a good bit hauled for nothing. I've hauled loads that I know were heavier that I didn't weigh so about every 6 or 8 loads they basically getting a load hauled for free.

I've weighed 3 loads of it lately, one was over 81,000 and the other 2 were almost 84,000. If they increase the weight limit they'll want to add a couple more packs of lumber to the loads for the same rate.

Went up Sandstone in 6th. gear @18mph. with a heavy one I didn't weigh. Keeps on like that we'll need a push truck up there since I don't drive a big truck ( Peterbilt )anymore.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

You are absoulutely right! i dont know why ANYONE envolved with trucking would support this! todays trucking companies are so cut-throat i'm sure they'd haul anything the shippers threw at them for pennies on the dollar,just to keep them as customers. But that doesnt work in the real world,ie; increased fuel use,maintanence,higher road use taxes,tolls etc.A bad idea all around! trucks dont need to be any heavier or longer,especially when most of the existing infastructure was set up to be serviced by straight trucks,and 40' trailers,holy shit its hard enough to get around with a 53' now! and 80K GVW is more than enough! so if this does go through,John Q.Public should'nt be surprized when a gallon of milk at the store is $15.00!................................Mark

Funny you should metion that, there was a sign at the Cumberland Farms, milk $4.00 a gallon, right above it, diesel $4.16 a gallon, just seems there is alot more work in a gallon of milk?

Getting raped on rates pretty much a given if this were to pass, but I also don't think our infrastucture (and at least a small percentage of the driver pool) can handle longer heavier equipment. Many state DOT's cannot keep up with road maintenance as it is and the revolving door of students at the large truckload carriers already have their hands full with 80,000 lbs and 53 foot trailers.

Jim