M Drive and MP8

Our sister store sold 15 to a customer and after a month the customer ordered 15 more. I cant remember if it was a 415 or 445 MP-8 but all did have the M-drive trans and small sleeper. I can get the specs if you want. Customer reported 7+ MPG and some in the 8 MPG range.

I'll chime in here. I just joined this forum and I feel like I'm posting all over the place.. as if anyone cares what I have to say...

I like the mDrive, also known as Volvo iShift. The only difference that I am aware of is that Volvo uses a shift knob mounted next to the driver's seat and Mack has a dashboard mounted shift pad. They pull hard. They do get good fuel economy. A week or so ago I happened to check the fuel trip history on a Volvo VN with an iShift and 475HP D13 (which is a green MP8) and according to the ECM it was getting 8.1mpg. It's kinda cool to sit there and do nothing except hold the throttle on the floor and let it do it's thing. I have only driven one mDrive so far but with a Volvo you can you can hold down the engine brake switch and slow to a crawl from 65mph just hitting that one switch. It works smooth. I think it is the smoothest operating automated truck transmission ever. It's years and years ahead of any Eaton Autoshift that I know of. Maybe Eaton has something in the works, I don't know. They better if they intend to compete with Volvo. The iShift has been in the Volvos for several years now and I do not remember seeing a major iShift failure come through our shop. The only times I can think of an iShift with a problem in our shop were just air leaks from around where the ECU mounts on top of the case and we've replaced a couple iShift ECUs. The only campaigns I can remember on it were just software updates. It's pretty cool to see inside because you look down inside the case and there's not much there. It's a single counter shaft design.

I still would not have one if I was an owner operator.

This should be an interesting read if you are interested in the mDrive. Someone please let me know if this file doesn't work. It was too big to upload so I had to compress it.

mDrive - Design and Function

PV776-88979192.zip

Edited by Higgy

I'll chime in here. I just joined this forum and I feel like I'm posting all over the place.. as if anyone cares what I have to say...

Hey - Folks care what you have to say - when you can't find someone to brag on you, just go ahead and do it yourself!

I like the mDrive, also known as Volvo iShift. The only difference that I am aware of is that Volvo uses a shift knob mounted next to the driver's seat and Mack has a dashboard mounted shift pad. They pull hard. They do get good fuel economy. A week or so ago I happened to check the fuel trip history on a Volvo VN with an iShift and 475HP D13 (which is a green MP8) and according to the ECM it was getting 8.1mpg. It's kinda cool to sit there and do nothing except hold the throttle on the floor and let it do it's thing. I have only driven one mDrive so far but with a Volvo you can you can hold down the engine brake switch and slow to a crawl from 65mph just hitting that one switch. It works smooth. I think it is the smoothest operating automated truck transmission ever. It's years and years ahead of any Eaton Autoshift that I know of. Maybe Eaton has something in the works, I don't know. They better if they intend to compete with Volvo. The iShift has been in the Volvos for several years now and I do not remember seeing a major iShift failure come through our shop. The only times I can think of an iShift with a problem in our shop were just air leaks from around where the ECU mounts on top of the case and we've replaced a couple iShift ECUs. The only campaigns I can remember on it were just software updates. It's pretty cool to see inside because you look down inside the case and there's not much there. It's a single counter shaft design.

I still would not have one if I was an owner operator.

This should be an interesting read if you are interested in the mDrive. Someone please let me know if this file doesn't work. It was too big to upload so I had to compress it.

mDrive - Design and Function

PV776-88979192.zip

I beleive there is some politics going on with allison and there is no available Mp10 M drive in vocational apps yet So if ya want an M drive in a dump app you can't have it If you want it in a tractor you can!That is straight from the rummor mill

hey guys you can realy trust they M-drive here in europe they drive it already for years only the software could be a little bit different than the i -shift from volvo they match the M-drive with the MP 8 or the MP 10 in australia they heva tested the M-drive with the MP 10 685 HP in it and they are very happy with it

From what I have looked up the M-drive is not rated for the MP-10 torque output. We had a customer wanting a MP-10 605 HP with M-drive and we could not get it. Customer wanted big HP and an automatic, he bought a Kenworth with a Cummins and unknow automatic trans.

The M-Drive/i-Shift can handle the full HP output of the Volvo 750HP D16. In fact all of the high HP European engines are only offered with an automated manual transmission. You cant get a 750HP Volvo FH with a manual gearbox. I think that is the case because with all that torque, a simple erroneous gear change or clutch pop would tear the drive line apart. So to reduce the chance of drive line damage, they only offer auto gear boxes.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!