tool question

hatcity

Well, the boy is going to Diesel and heavy equipment school.

If he is starting out as an entry level tech. What would be a godd basic tool set for him?

He has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets metric and SAE standard depth and deep

combo wrenches up to 1" or 20 mm

3/8 air ratchet and 1/2 " impact gun and impact sockets

hex keys-metric and SAE

some screwdrivers and other small stuff.

he does have a tool fund that gets replenished often (thanks Dad)

Soooo, what else could he use/need?

Thanks, Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

If he is going to stay light duty stuff then mostly what you mention is fine. If going to work on tractors, implements, or large trucks, he will need that and a good 3/4" drive socket set also. Probably will want to go with open box wrenches to about 1.5" also.

Purchase good stuff and mark indelibly so it doesn't get stolen so easily. I still have tools I purchased on the early to mid 1970's and they are just as good now, as then. Good tools in my opinion are worth the extra cost even if only used occasionally.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup, 3/4" stuff will be mandatory if he works on bigger stuff. I had to replenish my tool selection when I bought the Mack. I wouldn't go crazy til he finds out what he will be working on. That big stuff gets pretty pricey if you go with a "tool truck" guy.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If he is going to stay light duty stuff then mostly what you mention is fine. If going to work on tractors, implements, or large trucks, he will need that and a good 3/4" drive socket set also. Probably will want to go with open box wrenches to about 1.5" also.

Purchase good stuff and mark indelibly so it doesn't get stolen so easily. I still have tools I purchased on the early to mid 1970's and they are just as good now, as then. Good tools in my opinion are worth the extra cost even if only used occasionally.

Rob

Something my dad does on all his stuff is he lays it out takes a can of spray paint and sprays everything. No you walk by a box and see a blue wrench in there you know it is yours and not trying to find an engraving. It isn't pretty but it does a great job

Something my dad does on all his stuff is he lays it out takes a can of spray paint and sprays everything. No you walk by a box and see a blue wrench in there you know it is yours and not trying to find an engraving. It isn't pretty but it does a great job

I've always ground a "divot" into the side of a wrench, socket, driver, etc. All the stuff at work is painted orange. You are correct about the paint but a bucket of stripper does wonders at removing it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Freight- They have a tool truck store on campus 50% off-but that is still alot of coin.

He won't be done until Aug. and may go into the Cummins program-15 weeks 5.9 to ItSuckZ

Hemay go to the local MACK dealer and see about PT and just be a grease monkey, but he will be around the size equip. he is training on.

Thank you. I have a 3/4 impact gun and sockets. Also combo wrenches to 2"

He doesn't need the tools right away but would like to have a good set ready.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Any thing that you buy as a set can get expensive in a hurry. Basic hand tools are always good. A good place to shop for specialty stuff is a pawn shop or flea market. They are a good place to find hammers of all sizes and description, punches, and drifts, fuel and oil filter wrenches. You can"t do much around tractors or trucks Without an oil pressure gauge with flexible hose and fittings, a cooling system pressure tester, or a hand held digital temp gun. I once bought a new Cummins engine baring tool by snap on, at a pawn shop in Baton Rouge, for $5.00. When the salesman asked me what it was, I said I didn't know, that I was going to weld it on a garden tiller. I wish I had, I might be able to find it. Depending on which direction he goes buying a lot of stuff now might not be a real good idea.

Any thing that you buy as a set can get expensive in a hurry. Basic hand tools are always good. A good place to shop for specialty stuff is a pawn shop or flea market. They are a good place to find hammers of all sizes and description, punches, and drifts, fuel and oil filter wrenches. You can"t do much around tractors or trucks Without an oil pressure gauge with flexible hose and fittings, a cooling system pressure tester, or a hand held digital temp gun. I once bought a new Cummins engine baring tool by snap on, at a pawn shop in Baton Rouge, for $5.00. When the salesman asked me what it was, I said I didn't know, that I was going to weld it on a garden tiller. I wish I had, I might be able to find it. Depending on which direction he goes buying a lot of stuff now might not be a real good idea.

By all means the young man needs to grow into his tools. I've seen a lot of guys that are way upside down with the tool guy for stuff they never use. Kind of a bravado type thing in the shops. Example: a $10,000.00 toolbox???? I too used to purchase a lot from pawn shops, and the tool trucks by paying off, (repossession actually) tool bills in arrears and then reselling the same at a profit. Many times I would negotiate the price on an outright purchase, pay the balance off, then resell the same tools to the former owner for 15% markup. This was much less expensive to the former and new owner for the duration. I say this because if the Snap man, (for instance) doesn't want to deal on a cash purchase, run his ass off the property cause he don't need your business. A tool truck dealer makes a minimum of 50% markup on the tools themselves, and then interest charges on anyone's outstanding balance. This is why it is so profitable and why they want you to carry a balance.

Slow and steady is the key. Usually for a start up individual, "journeyman" status technicians don't mind loaning a tool if it comes back clean, and timely.

Rob

By all means the young man needs to grow into his tools. I've seen a lot of guys that are way upside down with the tool guy for stuff they never use. Kind of a bravado type thing in the shops. Example: a $10,000.00 toolbox???? I too used to purchase a lot from pawn shops, and the tool trucks by paying off, (repossession actually) tool bills in arrears and then reselling the same at a profit. Many times I would negotiate the price on an outright purchase, pay the balance off, then resell the same tools to the former owner for 15% markup. This was much less expensive to the former and new owner for the duration. I say this because if the Snap man, (for instance) doesn't want to deal on a cash purchase, run his ass off the property cause he don't need your business. A tool truck dealer makes a minimum of 50% markup on the tools themselves, and then interest charges on anyone's outstanding balance. This is why it is so profitable and why they want you to carry a balance.

Slow and steady is the key. Usually for a start up individual, "journeyman" status technicians don't mind loaning a tool if it comes back clean, and timely.

Rob

That is one thing I told him regarding the school tools. Also his instructors told him the same.

Also, if he lets someone borrow a tool, it should come back clean, or no tools again go out

That is one thing I told him regarding the school tools. Also his instructors told him the same.

Also, if he lets someone borrow a tool, it should come back clean, or no tools again go out

Very true and once that "trust" is built, there is usually never another problem.

Rob

• Like 1

Purchase good stuff and mark indelibly so it doesn't get stolen so easily

Being in the FAA biz you'll like this. Right after high school I trained to be an A&P mechanic. I'll never forget one of my old salt instructors telling us to never mark our tools in case we left one in the wrong place on an aircraft we had been working on.

As stated here keep looking for used tools. They are the best bagain out there. Tools are funny; if you need something you'll pay almost anything for it at the time, but a week later it has almost no value. I know a very busy car dealership mechanic who runs three bays. He has a complete set of tools in each bay courtesy of new boy mechanics that had to buy everything new and couldn't afford the payments.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

i found when i started out was to buy tools as you need them.ie:don't go out and buy a big 3/4 drive because half the sockets you never use.find out what you need then shop around.same as big combinations,some of mine have only been used a few times.if you need to borrow wrench from someone you more than likly need it so buy one of your own.Bob

hammers chillsels,..punchs seal knockers,...gasket scrapers...a/c hoses an gauges,....clutch adjuter tool,..slack adjuster puller tool....torques heads set,...goot set of easy outs/boilt extractors...torch set...freind of mine got 5 strage vans full of tools an still gose tool shoppin most he's days off!! when i went to diesel collage we got 50% off craftsman,40% off snap-on,..an 60% off MAC,...if he knows witch way he gonna go at being machanic be best to buy all the bigger high priced tools there with these descounts an get warrenty!!

He should have a good 1/2" drive torque wrench, my pop just got me one for Christmas (guess hes trying to tell me something as his has been living in my tool box for about a year.) Also dont be afraid to get brands other than the two tool trucks- Craftsman has always been good to me, Stanley (hard to find their auto mech tools made in the USA any more......EASCO/KD- again hard to find these made in the USA any more.......I have had some good luck with the brand at Lowes but I cant seem to remember the name right now........And also dont forget to check with the two tool truck guys about used tools/trade ins/repossessions. I have a real nice Snap On roller and chest that I got second hand.

And of course nowadays he'll need a laptop, like a toughbook or equal, but wait for the school to tell you what to get. Also spend the money and get a good FLUKE diagnostic meter.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

He should have a good 1/2" drive torque wrench, my pop just got me one for Christmas (guess hes trying to tell me something as his has been living in my tool box for about a year.) Also dont be afraid to get brands other than the two tool trucks- Craftsman has always been good to me, Stanley (hard to find their auto mech tools made in the USA any more......EASCO/KD- again hard to find these made in the USA any more.......I have had some good luck with the brand at Lowes (KOBALT) but I cant seem to remember the name right now........And also dont forget to check with the two tool truck guys about used tools/trade ins/repossessions. I have a real nice Snap On roller and chest that I got second hand.

And of course nowadays he'll need a laptop, like a toughbook or equal, but wait for the school to tell you what to get. Also spend the money and get a good FLUKE diagnostic meter.

I like Craftsman....lifetime warranty w/ no questions asked in store exchange. I've heard Kobalt (Lowes) and Husky (Home Depot) are the same way with their lifetime warranties, but those have never been as convenient to buy/exchange as the Sears/Craftsman due to store location.

Some tools, though, I buy the brand name the tool is generally called by. Crescent adjustable wrenches, Vice Grips locking pliers, Channel Locks.....I figure the names stuck for a reason, and I've never been disappointed with the quality or performance of those tools.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!