Anyone seen this happen to a tire?

jaysm35a2

Looking at your pic, looks like it is caused by side scuffing or blunt impact, usually means the belt(s) split for want of a better word. Probbly the age of the tire added to it. Me, I'd look inside the casing and see if its split there to, if not I personally would run them but keep a close eye on them. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

They were new... 4 months ago so I cant say old tire. They are on the rear end.

What are you guys paying that are running the 10.00 tires for a new tire? Lug or Highway.

Just because you bought them 4 months ago doesn't mean they are new. If they sat in a warehouse for several years, they are still old. Check the DOT number for the date code to be sure.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Update, I found a guy with 4 virgin 90% tread lug tires I bought today pretty cheap. Guess il be mounting 4 tires now but it sure will look alot better with them too.

So , I will have two barely used 10.00 tires , highway tread with no cracks or weather checking if anyone needs them. Also a PTO set up off the Mack.

• 4 weeks later...

If I am seeing it correctly you have cracks at the base of the grooves (groove cracking). This condition can be caused by high side forces applied to a rib type tire. Can also be caused by petroleum damage, weathering, or exhaust on drive tires. If cracks are greater than 2/32" contact the tire manufacturer. Can be caused by tight turns.