Spring brakes...not even close

leversole

Bought a 2424 spring brake...checking to see if it will fit...not even close...

post-6773-0-14295800-1316218168_thumb.jp

I would swear the brake mounts are damaged (bent), but the other three are exactly the same!

post-6773-0-52728800-1316218359_thumb.jp

I never heard of Wagner airbrakes, this was a suprise!

post-6773-0-00764800-1316218520_thumb.jp

Can I just find a later model SWD5701 and swap the brake mounts that bolt to the axle housing?

post-6773-0-32923400-1316218821_thumb.jp

Appreciate any help!

Bought a 2424 spring brake...checking to see if it will fit...not even close...

post-6773-0-14295800-1316218168_thumb.jp

I would swear the brake mounts are damaged (bent), but the other three are exactly the same!

post-6773-0-52728800-1316218359_thumb.jp

I never heard of Wagner airbrakes, this was a suprise!

post-6773-0-00764800-1316218520_thumb.jp

Can I just find a later model SWD5701 and swap the brake mounts that bolt to the axle housing?

post-6773-0-32923400-1316218821_thumb.jp

Appreciate any help!

I've installed many 24/24 spring brake chambers on 34,000, and 38,000# Mack axles. I'd try a different manufacturer of the cans as I've not seen one that wouldn't fit myself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yep roto chambers. You will need to change the spiders to allow the spring brake chambers to fit without making contact to the drums.

By spiders, you mean the s-cam and brake shoe mount? Thanks...I wonder if all of the SWD axle housings would be the same bolt pattern on the end of the axle housing...

Yes the spyders bolt to the axel tube just behind the hubs. They hold the brake chambers brakes; and the hole for the s came to pass thru.. I think later r model spyders will swap in..you will have to clock them correctly to make sure the spring chambers will not hit the bottom of the frame rails when the Axels move up and down... Look at a r model and you will get the idea..

• Like 1

Yes the spyders bolt to the axel tube just behind the hubs. They hold the brake chambers brakes; and the hole for the s came to pass thru.. I think later r model spyders will swap in..you will have to clock them correctly to make sure the spring chambers will not hit the bottom of the frame rails when the Axels move up and down... Look at a r model and you will get the idea..

Thanks! The quest begins...

You have Mack brakes on there with cast shoes, they make a spring brake that will fit but very expensive. If you change to the later style spider (Rockwell brakes), you have to change the shoes.

FW

Although I've never done the conversion myself it seems you need to make some type of spacer when swapping to Rockwell "Q" style brakes to fit between the spider, and axle housing? Something about backset for the shoes to drum contact?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Does your truck have a frame mounted spring brake? the reason I ask this is the rod laying on your camelback spring. If it does why not leave the rotochamber and the mack style brakes. You have good lining left on the shoes.

Yes, I have the frame mounted spring brakes...AND was thinking I have never seen a truck in person with this setup (left the factory this way according to my build sheet), and that makes mine unique!

The main reason I wanted to change things was the there is a metal dust cover or something on each can that is all bent up...I may take them off and see if I can remove it, it looks like it made of sheet metal...the brakes do a good job and no leaks. One of the spring brakes gurgles a little when the brake is released (lots of oil in my air!)

May end up leaving the original system in place...looking closer, it looks like 3 of the 4 spiders are bent, dont know how they could have gotten bent, but they are definitely not perpindicular to the axles...

The lever that comes through the frame is a little higher than the the lever attached to the slack adjuster, and the rods inside the frame are slotted to allow the service brakes to actuate. The parking brake "pulls" on the slack adjuster for parking. With this setup, compressing the suspension would only move the lever forward in the slot, and not "pull" on the slack adjuster.

i have a cut off with part of that setup on it it has the chambers and the z bars through the frame but it dont have the rods inside the frame its out of a 70 dm600 if i could find the rest of the rods and stuff i would think about puting it on my 69 dm600 to keep it more peroid correct. joe

Hi Leversole,

I asked about installing spring brake chambers on my truck a few years ago and a gentleman (don't remember who) sent me these images. The individual fabricated a bracket to offset the chambers and installed offset slack adjusters. Hope it helps.

post-3332-0-97869000-1316647776.jpgpost-3332-0-79141700-1316647796.jpgpost-3332-0-77312800-1316647816.jpgpost-3332-0-13869100-1316647831.jpg

Trenton

• Like 1