"EE" Mack for sale:

Rob

Nice ,not to happy with the Chevy, but can't tell with the hoods closed. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

A nice Chrysler 361 or 413 would have been a better gas motor for a truck that size, but then again I'm a Mopar or Nocar kinda Guy!! LOL

BULLHUSK

Mack made them with the 413 in the R-400 series, I think Doug Manney has one. Odd looking installation though. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mack made them with the 413 in the R-400 series, I think Doug Manney has one. Odd looking installation though. Paul

there was quite a few of them back in the day,,had an opportunity to get a close up look at one in a mack shop in oakland,years ago,,but personally i think he shoulda used a ford driveline,mighta been worth more,,chevy is only one step up from a jap engine,i know ill hear a bout this one.lol,.but i think the price is way too steep,,,even if it was all stock.this guy,s nuts..bob

there was quite a few of them back in the day,,had an opportunity to get a close up look at one in a mack shop in oakland,years ago,,but personally i think he shoulda used a ford driveline,mighta been worth more,,chevy is only one step up from a jap engine,i know ill hear a bout this one.lol,.but i think the price is way too steep,,,even if it was all stock.this guy,s nuts..bob

bob, Ya got that right, my dad had a customer back in the 60' that had 5 shevy viking series stright trucks with 327's in them, we kept a new motor on the rack (I think a comp, new engine back then was 450 bucks). Well, his customer goes an trades them in after 5 years an gets new ones with the 427 motor!! O-MG 4mi to the gal an windows in the blocks!! so we spoke to one of the older guys over at the shevy shop an he told us 'every time a 427 blows up, put a 366 back into it' we did, and the trucks ran for ever!! We wanted him to by the C model Dodges back then but his gulfing buddy was the owner of the shevy joint. Ernie DS

Geez guys! i'm usually on the same page with pretty much everybody on this site,but gotta disagree with the Chevy thing! far as i'm concerned a small block chevy is bulletproof! would'nt consider anything else in a streetrod or hobby car. i do find some good in all makes/models,but fords are WAY expensive parts/buildwise,i never knew what was up with Mopar! i put a 327 into a 1958 chevy dumptruck 20 years ago for a friend who runs a landscaping businessmstill going strong today! the 350 in my 70 pickup has only been apart once,and that was just to ";freshen up" the top end (cam,lifters etc.) 146,000 miles and has never let me down.........................."Bowtie" Mark LOL!

post-5836-0-76558400-1316365696.jpg

post-5836-0-71453500-1316365714.jpg

post-5836-0-08182500-1316365953.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Geez guys! i'm usually on the same page with pretty much everybody on this site,but gotta disagree with the Chevy thing! far as i'm concerned a small block chevy is bulletproof! would'nt consider anything else in a streetrod or hobby car. i do find some good in all makes/models,but fords are WAY expensive parts/buildwise,i never knew what was up with Mopar! i put a 327 into a 1958 chevy dumptruck 20 years ago for a friend who runs a landscaping businessmstill going strong today! the 350 in my 70 pickup has only been apart once,and that was just to ";freshen up" the top end (cam,lifters etc.) 146,000 miles and has never let me down.........................."Bowtie" Mark LOL!
Mark, The 327 was only a 2 bolt main, an Chevy was using them in trucks that were way to big an heavy for that motor,I'm with ya on them being bulletproof!! The trucks I'm talkin about had a 22ft body on them with lift gates. They hauled everything from TV's to 600lb chem. drums, and COW BOYS for drivers!! As far as the 427's go... I don't know? but they would would throw the rod right through the bottom of the pan!! Once we put the 366 big block in them, our troubles were over.. The 350 shevy is a work horse, but don't send a boy to do a mans job, Dodge did the same thing with there 318 motor, an even there slant 6!!

Ernie

Ernie,i sure agree with sending a boy to do a mans job! LOL! i remember when i was a kid,there was a local south jersey guy who ran a "modified" at our local dirt track, 196? valiant with a slant 6 for power,wierdest sounding engine i ever heard! but he was ALWAYS in the top 5-10! do gotta admit,427 is pretty much junk!.....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm with you on that Mark, i've had A Dodge and several Ford pickups and cars, but all the "hotrods" in my younger days were Chevys- a '72 350 Nova, a '70 Chevelle SS with a 402 big block, and even the Scout mud bogger had a 355 small block Chevy with a turbo 350 transmission. They all ran great.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ernie,i sure agree with sending a boy to do a mans job! LOL! i remember when i was a kid,there was a local south jersey guy who ran a "modified" at our local dirt track, 196? valiant with a slant 6 for power,wierdest sounding engine i ever heard! but he was ALWAYS in the top 5-10! do gotta admit,427 is pretty much junk!.....................Mark

reminds me of the first time I went to the dragstrip in Suffolk, Va. in the '70's. I saw 2 '66 or '67 ChevyII's running in the 11 second range- with 6 cylinder engines. Probably not a big deal now, i've heard rumors of 9 second rice burners on the street now, but I was impressed at the time.

I remember a solid black Corvette too, about the same year as the Novas, that had a big old 6 cylinder GMC truck engine in it running about a 10 flat.

A small journal 327 Chevy with "splayed" four bolt main caps was a good stout little motor for a car. They took high rev's willingly and made very good power with 64cc heads with large valves, (2.02/1.60). There wasn't enough "meat" through the main saddles to take the torsional vibration the spinning crankshaft induced and the rods would beat the bearings until something parted. Install a set of "Milodon" main caps, align hone the block, install good Clevite "77" bearings and zero balance the rotating assembly and you had a fine engine. Of course the next best thing for the lower end was an aftermarket crankshaft but that got expensive.

I never cared for many big block engines much with the exception of the 440 Chrysler. I feel they did a good job with that one balancing durability and power in the earlier models. The later ones were boat anchors. Of course the 426 "Hemi" is legendary even if you are not partial to Chrysler.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Some of the stuff that I always liked about Mopar.. Back in the 50's about 20 Chry. engineers got together an started the Ramchargers Club an built themselves a 49 Plymouth business coupe, with a 354 or a 331 HEMI, 2 4b carbs homemade tunnel ram an hand built headers! they called it High & Mighty (after a John Wayne movie). Then in 1962 when the 409 an the 348 'Stone Crusher' Chevys held the track records on both east an west coasts in the Super Stock Class, Dodge showes up with a 413 Max Wedge with a push button A/T, an sent the Chevy guys home early. Soon after the 413 came the 426 M/W an the Alum. front ends with the battery in the trunk. Then I think about mid 64?.. Mother Mopar rolled out the SS/AFX with a 426 Hemi (Fuel Inj.) they moved the motor back, the front axle foward an the rear axle just behind the front door some of the guys who ran these cars off the top of my head?..Hodges Ramchargers, Candymatic, Dick Landy and I think Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkens ran a Mopar back then!! An the Cars?? Well they looked Funny!! they were 'Funny Cars'!!! An the rest my friends is history!! Then in 1964 Richard Petty won the Daytona 500 in a Plymouth with the new 426 Hemi, then in 69 & 70 Mopar came out with the Wing Cars an Cry Baby Ford made a stink about them an NASCAR took em off the track an a few years later they took the HEMI out!!.. So Today if you look under any Drag Car doing less then 5 sec in the 1/4mi Mustangs, Toyotas, Pontiacs, It's Crysler's basic double rocker, Hemispherical combustion chamber V8! an thats just some of the stuff that I always liked about Mopar.

BULLHUSK

i had a 49 plymouth,,but it had the 6 popper and 3 on the tree,,and a 51 desoto,with the fluid drive,,,also a 69 roadrunner,,66 plymouth fury,,and a 61 chrysler,,and a 64 plymouth valiant,,,so i guess ive had my share of them,,,wonder why they in such big trouble nowdays,,,they were all good cars,,,wish i had all of them back.lol.bob :twothumbsup:

dont feel abused,mark,,i also had a 70,,but that was 30 years ago,,had a 4 wd and a snow plow,,,sold it when i moved west,,didnt need it anymore...bob

i had a 49 plymouth,,but it had the 6 popper and 3 on the tree,,and a 51 desoto,with the fluid drive,,,also a 69 roadrunner,,66 plymouth fury,,and a 61 chrysler,,and a 64 plymouth valiant,,,so i guess ive had my share of them,,,wonder why they in such big trouble nowdays,,,they were all good cars,,,wish i had all of them back.lol.bob :twothumbsup:
bob, I think anyone who owned a Mopar, had to know Mopars, an anyone on this site who ever owned one like yourself knows what I'm talkin about. Take the Carter AFB, if you didn't have a screw driver or a stick under your seat to hold the choke open, when It decided to stick closed?? you called a cab!! (same on the slant 6 carb., an they would sometimes stall if you made a sharp left) I donnn noo! An then there was the good old BALLAST RESISTOR!! a must to have in your glove compartment! if you didn't have one?? you called a cab!! Reduction starters? keep on on the shelf! if not? your callin a cab! Then back in the 60's if you started your car on a cold morning an put it in reverse before putting it in neutral (automatic trans) an letting the oil warm up, you would break the reverse band!! Why because the Chrysler trans. pump did not turn in Park like the GM's an Ford's!! So when I was a kid for as long as a could remember, my Dad an I would go out on a Sunday afternoon every couple of months an look behind the gas station garages, an there was usually a Mopar sittin back there, that people who got tired of callin Cab's told the garage guy 'Just sell the freakin junk!!' An guess who bought the junk?? We did! An we fixed em an sold them with a screw driver an Ballast Resistor in the glove compartment an a list of instructions!!!LOL Ernie DS

bob, I think anyone who owned a Mopar, had to know Mopars, an anyone on this site who ever owned one like yourself knows what I'm talkin about. Take the Carter AFB, if you didn't have a screw driver or a stick under your seat to hold the choke open, when It decided to stick closed?? you called a cab!! (same on the slant 6 carb., an they would sometimes stall if you made a sharp left) I donnn noo! An then there was the good old BALLAST RESISTOR!! a must to have in your glove compartment! if you didn't have one?? you called a cab!! Reduction starters? keep on on the shelf! if not? your callin a cab! Then back in the 60's if you started your car on a cold morning an put it in reverse before putting it in neutral (automatic trans) an letting the oil warm up, you would break the reverse band!! Why because the Chrysler trans. pump did not turn in Park like the GM's an Ford's!! So when I was a kid for as long as a could remember, my Dad an I would go out on a Sunday afternoon every couple of months an look behind the gas station garages, an there was usually a Mopar sittin back there, that people who got tired of callin Cab's told the garage guy 'Just sell the freakin junk!!' An guess who bought the junk?? We did! An we fixed em an sold them with a screw driver an Ballast Resistor in the glove compartment an a list of instructions!!!LOL Ernie DS

Yup, you had to love um. Still do. My 68 Barracuda still sets in the garage just as it did in 1976 when I got the car.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The only Chrysler product I ever had was a '76 3/4 ton pickup. It had a 360 engine with a bigger cam, Edelbrock intake, Holley carb. Got about 9 mpg, but I paid only $500 for it. Used to go to the woodyard and cut a load of firewood and load that old Dodge up even with the top of the cab and it didn't know it was loaded.

I sold it and bought a '71 Ford pickup with a 351, 2 bbl. carb, 3 speed. Turned out it got about 9 mpg. too, and throw 3 sticks of firewood in the back and the bumper was dragging the ground.

My grandfather was a Dodge man and my father was a Chevrolet man so we always had a mix of trucks and pickups between the two. I my self have owned both brands. My main gripe with Chrysler was that they didnt know how to build decent sheet metal, and their first real good body was the 94 and up ram. After owning a 87 d150 and a 92 d150, both great trucks, the sheet metal was lacking. Chrysler always had killer drivetrains with sub par to average sheetmetal. I still loved my Dodges tho.

GM had better parts interchangability in my book, with more simple vehicle systems. (how about that Torqueflite kick down linkage, ha)

oh my god.lol forgot all about that screwdriver deal,,and resister,,speaking of starting forgot i also owned a 48 plymouth delux one owner 75 th orig miles 6 volt positive ground,,and middle of winter,that motor would turn real slow,,you would think it wasnt gonna go and all of a sudden it would fire,,,i also had allotta fords,and chevy,s..used to be a big car buff,,reason ive had so many,,,now been driving the same taurus for 9 years,lol...how boring can you get???...bob