Mack Factory, Plainfield, NJ Pics

Thats were both my B came from WOW! My AC was made in Astoria the building is still there and used by the NYC FD I believe. Cool photos thanks for posting them. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I believe mack left this place maybe 40 some odd years ago. I believe they moved to allentown,pa. Good move on their part, plainfield is not a pretty place though im sure it was at one time.

ah gotcha,,i didnt even know it was gone... my 62,f model i think was built there.my 66 DM was built in allentown..thanks bob :omgcarrot:

The original plant was at 1325 West Front and opened in 1911, 1355 West Front (building b ) opened just before WWII and closed in 1961 when the Hagerstown plant opened. Got this from the Plainfield N.J library site. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The original plant was at 1325 West Front and opened in 1911, 1355 West Front (building b ) opened just before WWII and closed in 1961 when the Hagerstown plant opened. Got this from the Plainfield N.J library site. Paul

ahrite thanks..there was another one somewhere in jamestown,ny,i suppose its gone also ..bob

i know we used to have quite a few mack dealers in california,,most of them gone now.sacramento,oakland,los angeles,fresno..depressing man :blush: ..bob

Thanks paul for looking that up. I just drove by again, the building next door is an old bank(now a church) and its 1301, the rest of the city block is now labeled 1355 and is pretty big. I work for the electric company here and i was inside the building 2 winters ago for a no power. That was before i realized it was the old mack plant. I toured the macungie plant during the antique show in june. That and all the nameplates on the b models with plainfield,nj on them got me curious of finding where this place was.

I never even thought to see if the Jersey plant was still there, I think that 1325 is the part of the original SAUER trucks building with the stone International Motors logos, that's what is on the ABs, ACs and AKs. The Manhattan plant was torn down in 1946 and the Astoria plant was / is Swingline Staplers by the el. The LI City plant is part of the NYC FD truck garage on the western service road of the LIE. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I didn't know they built trucks in Plainfield. It was World headquarters before Allentown office opened in 1970 and the engine plant until Hagerstown opened in 1961.

Both my F's 1963 and 1970 were built in Allentown. The 1963 has Plainfield,NJ on the door tag because that's where HQ was at the time.

Gregg

• Like 1

My AC and B were both built in N.J. I don't have a scanner but in John Montvilles book "BULLDOG" there are a few photos of the early part of the Plainfield plant with AB and AC chassis coming out if this door. Paul

post-3242-0-10271400-1312821136.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

Probbly no idea. of its history and could care less. The post office was refaced a few years ago where I grew up. They stuccoed right over the plaque the was dedicated personally by Ike. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Probbly no idea. of its history and could care less. The post office was refaced a few years ago where I grew up. They stuccoed right over the plaque the was dedicated personally by Ike. Paul

man,,,aint that just the way it is,,,,but dont dont forget the spotted owl.lol.bob

• 2 weeks later...

Was there a plant in New york?? My LJ has a tag that has Mack Manufacturing Corporation New York USA.. Thanks Paul

It was in Long Island City /Astoria Queens, it is now part of the NYC FD garages. tThere was also a plant in Manhatten in the 20s early 30's/\. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...

I took these pictures inside and outside of the Plainfield, NJ MACK plant in 2011 when I was employed there by the Union. At the time, I didn't know what the building was used for. But soon after, my employer told me that they used to make MACK trucks here. I was surprised. This building has alot of history behind it.

Just being able to step inside some of the run down parts, and look at some of the old machinery they used to use, was amazing. I did some further research, and It let me to your guys' forum. So, included in my post, you'll find a few pictures I took.

Enjoy.

post-12789-0-34886600-1354066955_thumb.j

post-12789-0-38394000-1354066956_thumb.j

post-12789-0-32783300-1354066957_thumb.j

post-12789-0-12914200-1354066958_thumb.j

• Like 1

I took these pictures inside and outside of the Plainfield, NJ MACK plant in 2011 when I was employed there by the Union. At the time, I didn't know what the building was used for. But soon after, my employer told me that they used to make MACK trucks here. I was surprised. This building has alot of history behind it.

Just being able to step inside some of the run down parts, and look at some of the old machinery they used to use, was amazing. I did some further research, and It let me to your guys' forum. So, included in my post, you'll find a few pictures I took.

Enjoy.

Very cool!!! Thanks for posting!!!! Welcome to the site!!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg