Maxi Brake Danger

hey ,,,noticed alotta you newbe,s around this site nowdays,and buying old trucks,thought i would give you fellars a fare warning about maxi brake pots,a lot of you guys dont realize they have a lethal high powered spring in them,,that can kill you ,or cause severe bodily damage,,,when your working around them,try to keep your body parts away from open end,with the key hole,,and if you find one leaking,,just remove it from the truck real carefull,and replace the pot,,dont try the repair it,,,its not worth the risk,,people have been severely injured,with these brake pots blowing apart,,,a friend of mine was outta work a whole year due to one exploding,,and just grazing his face,,got lucky,,,be careful,,guys...enjoy your hobby,,,bob :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thanks for the advice Bob. Ive been around trucks since i was born. Uncle worked for Hess, my other uncle is a fire man, and my Dad had a few box trucks. Even though ive been around them for awhile, i bet i still have a ton to learn. Thanks alot Bob

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Thanks for the advice Bob. Ive been around trucks since i was born. Uncle worked for Hess, my other uncle is a fire man, and my Dad had a few box trucks. Even though ive been around them for awhile, i bet i still have a ton to learn. Thanks alot Bob

Tom

you know,im 55 years old,and been around these big rigs since 1959,owned 5 macks,been driving since 1973,,and im still learning,,there is nothing wrong with that,,im certainly not a know it all,although sometimes i think so.lol...bob :banana:

Tom

oh forgot to tell you,,my cousin worked for hess a long time...bob

You mean it's not alright to stand off to the side as you cut the bolt that snugs the retaining ring? I was kneeling one time a little too close and had to go to the hospital over it cause of a circular incision. Unable to read my writing, the doctors give me a circumcision rather than fixing the cut.

"Momma" took care of the rest.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You mean it's not alright to stand off to the side as you cut the bolt that snugs the retaining ring? I was kneeling one time a little too close and had to go to the hospital over it cause of a circular incision. Unable to read my writing, the doctors give me a circumcision rather than fixing the cut.

"Momma" took care of the rest.

Rob

im supprized you didnt put up a fuss,over the circumcition.lol.bob :banana:

im supprized you didnt put up a fuss,over the circumcition.lol.bob :banana:

The sight of blood petrifies me so they knocked me out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

you know,im 55 years old,and been around these big rigs since 1959,owned 5 macks,been driving since 1973,,and im still learning,,there is nothing wrong with that,,im certainly not a know it all,although sometimes i think so.lol...bob :banana:

Exactly, theres so much to learn from this hobby. It could be driving trucks, working on the brakes, engine etc. Theres a ton of information to be learned. Hopefully ill get the hang of it soon!

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

"Momma" always tells her friends about me; "He ain't got no brains to learn nothin".

Guess that's why I'm where I am today.

Rob

The sight of blood petrifies me so they knocked me out.

Rob

I usually have to tape myself up....paper towels over the wound to soak up the blood, then wrap it in duct tape to hold the paper towels in place. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Exactly, theres so much to learn from this hobby. It could be driving trucks, working on the brakes, engine etc. Theres a ton of information to be learned. Hopefully ill get the hang of it soon!

There is a lot to learn,being around trucks both old and new! but there is absoulutely NO substistute for safety/common sense! nothing puts a damper on an old truck project like a serious injury! kinda' takes the fun out of it! a good rule of thumb i learned a long time ago,is when in doubt,ASK!!!! there is always someone who knows more than you,and can guide you through "un-charted territory" and when starting out on a project,in my opinion,there is no such thing as a stupid question! (well,really there are,but thats another subject) we are all on here because of a love of Mack trucks,and the information here is valueable,and free for the asking! when someone makes progress,or tackles an un-familiar job with great success,its good for the hobby,and all concerned! just my .02......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thats when you need some supper glue

Problem with super glue is that once the tube is opened, it doesn't have a very long shelf-life. Can't see wasting a $2 tube of super glue for a mere flesh wound when a couple paper towels and a 6-8" strip or two of duct tape will work just fine. :thumb:

...but then that might just be my cheap a$$ pinching pennies again. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Problem with super glue is that once the tube is opened, it doesn't have a very long shelf-life. Can't see wasting a $2 tube of super glue for a mere flesh wound when a couple paper towels and a 6-8" strip or two of duct tape will work just fine. :thumb:

...but then that might just be my cheap a$$ pinching pennies again. :pat:

I've sported more bandages, paper towels, shop towels, toilet paper, duct tape, electrical tape, and the like to close up a cut to finish a job prior to going to get stitches through the years I've lost count. I've even soaked a shop towel in water, wrapped ice cubes in the towel and smashed them with a hammer, then duct taped this to my arm to soothe a nasty burn so I could finish installing a top on a van once. Do what it takes to get the job done sometimes no matter the pain.

Rob

You should have had the little pretty blue gloves on.Maybe safty glasses to.

I really only wear gloves when working with sheet metal. These typically are kid leather. Usually do wear safety glasses when grinding or cutting something. I'm always getting hooked or jabbed by something sharp or protruding which in nature of the business it seems.

Rob

I've sported more bandages, paper towels, shop towels, toilet paper, duct tape, electrical tape, and the like to close up a cut to finish a job prior to going to get stitches through the years I've lost count. I've even soaked a shop towel in water, wrapped ice cubes in the towel and smashed them with a hammer, then duct taped this to my arm to soothe a nasty burn so I could finish installing a top on a van once. Do what it takes to get the job done sometimes no matter the pain.

Rob

As long as I'm not dripping blood all over whatever it is that I'm working on, there's no reason for the work to stop. Pain is all in your head.:thumb:

LOL duck tape has a use for everything these days...

I found that new "stretchy tape" they sell on T V works best.. It pulls the gash closed and acts like a presure bandage to stop all the blood. :lol: No problem with safety glasses and ear plugs ( quiets down all the screaming) but I just can't work wearing gloves of any type. I did learn at an early age to never ever wear any jewelery, had a shop teacher with missing finger. It was burned off when his wedding ring hit a battery lead and shorted it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE