Need A Steering Shaft For My Superliner

Hi guys, I really need a steering shaft for my 86 superliner. It was a real pain trying to find the Mack P/N but i finally found it and now mack is telling me is not even available.

The part # is 13KF39304BP5 . any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pics.

steeringcolum3.jpg

steeringcolum2.jpg

steeringcolum1.jpg

steeringcolum4.jpg

The "+" section is for the telescopic feature of the column. If you don't use this feature it is not needed. The second thing this does is allow steering column collapse in the event of a front end collision. This was mandated for the 1968 model year in USA for light trucks and automobiles.

You could get any splined shaft and socket, then "time" the universals in sync with each other. As David said you could also lengthen an R600 shaft easily also. Ensure you keep the timing of the universals correct meaning either in the same angle plane, or 90 degrees from each other, otherwise the shaft will bind against itself when turning.

As mentioned, a driveline shop can set you right up.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A small tip on the drive line shop. Tell them it is a pto on you log splitter or other wise they or here will throw you out of the store. Libility

But i have had them built before and always tell them its for me and my someting but no steer parts.

glenn akers

A small tip on the drive line shop. Tell them it is a pto on you log splitter or other wise they or here will throw you out of the store. Libility

But i have had them built before and always tell them its for me and my someting but no steer parts.

You are very correct. I neglected to mention the liability exposure to someone making this part.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi guys, I really need a steering shaft for my 86 superliner. It was a real pain trying to find the Mack P/N but i finally found it and now mack is telling me is not even available.

The part # is 13KF39304BP5 . any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pics.

steeringcolum3.jpg

steeringcolum2.jpg

steeringcolum1.jpg

steeringcolum4.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mack-Truck-Spicer-Dana-Steering-Shaft-13KF39306BP6-NEW-/120483379661?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c0d5e79cd

this guy may be able to get you one?

Grant

Thanks alot..too bad that one is not the same as mine..I'll email him to see. Sombody's gotta have one.

David: as far as the R600 shaft that you have. Do you have pics? are they nice and stiff?(not worn too bad), can they work? Thanks

Well i just got off the ph with Dana and the told me that the OEM# 13KF39304BP5 has been cross referenced to 913618-1.

He said i have to locate a dana dealer and try and order it.. Getting closer

a new one would be allot cheaper,the drive line shop,can build you one,,but it wont be cheap,good luck,,bob. :pat:

a new one would be allot cheaper,the drive line shop,can build you one,,but it wont be cheap,good luck,,bob. :pat:

all taken care of. Found a distributer that will order it for me. 5 day build time from Dana. Alot cheaper then the dealer too. :banana:

thanks alot guys!! :thumb:

When i put power steering on my truck I had to cut down the shaft and then re weld it. If you can find any used shaft that is in good shape I think you would be able to have it milled down and re welded . the guy that made mine drilled a hole in the shafts where the new weld was and then was able to get better penatration for added safty. It will likely be cheeper than getting a new part.

just my .02

Trent

When i put power steering on my truck I had to cut down the shaft and then re weld it. If you can find any used shaft that is in good shape I think you would be able to have it milled down and re welded . the guy that made mine drilled a hole in the shafts where the new weld was and then was able to get better penatration for added safty. It will likely be cheeper than getting a new part.

just my .02

Trent

This is a bit of a different animal however. When the steering gear is mounted to the steer axle the splines work much the same as a driveshaft with the slip, and spline moving with the axle. This induces a lot of wear into the shaft splines. Much like a driveshaft the shaft has to endure the torque of twisting also. These needed greased often but a lot were neglected. A steering gear that is frame mounted does not have the same rigors on the input shaft this setup does.

Rob

This is a bit of a different animal however. When the steering gear is mounted to the steer axle the splines work much the same as a driveshaft with the slip, and spline moving with the axle. This induces a lot of wear into the shaft splines. Much like a driveshaft the shaft has to endure the torque of twisting also. These needed greased often but a lot were neglected. A steering gear that is frame mounted does not have the same rigors on the input shaft this setup does.

Rob

Couldn't have said it better my self!! :clap:

Rob

I'm glad manufactures no longer mount the gear on the axle. In most wrecks the front tires end up at the fuel tanks. Seems like that would sent that shaft through the driver's belt buckle.

I'm glad manufactures no longer mount the gear on the axle. In most wrecks the front tires end up at the fuel tanks. Seems like that would sent that shaft through the driver's belt buckle.

They did that to give about 1/2 second warning before impaling the driver's chest. In reality, this is the reason for the collapsable steering column. In cars, the steering column has to collapse 3" before moving the entire column by federal mandate.

Mounting the steering gear in that fashion was a bad design in my opinion.

Rob

They did that to give about 1/2 second warning before impaling the driver's chest. In reality, this is the reason for the collapsable steering column. In cars, the steering column has to collapse 3" before moving the entire column by federal mandate.

Mounting the steering gear in that fashion was a bad design in my opinion.

Rob

I was told that the main reason for that design is so that people can stuff any engine they wanted to in superliners without any problems.

People would go buy gliders and put cat,cummins,detroit etc.....Mine is a glider aswell

I was told that the main reason for that design is so that people can stuff any engine they wanted to in superliners without any problems.

People would go buy gliders and put cat,cummins,detroit etc.....Mine is a glider aswell

That would explain why you have a Superliner I frame and a Superliner II model year.

The first generation Superliners are on Cruiseliner chassis have axle mounted steering gear and the hood attaches to the radiator sides. Not an ideal place for the steering box but it works.

FW

And to top it off and really drive you nuts, Mines is a 86 with round head lights. There suppose to be square

IMG_20110430_142503.jpg

Edited by LAZR GUIRA