And Now For Something Completely Different !

3rdWrightBrother

Had coffee with Bigen several months back, he suggested that some members here might be interested in things aviation related. Living in Reno is a big plus being a fan of the National Championship Air Races, which were started in 1964. Last year I helped crew in the International Formula 1 class, and have gotten to know many of the photographers and some of the pilots and crew from some of the other classes. Check out rara.org for more info on the air races, I will post more photos if people are interested. The gentleman I crewed for last year took me for my first ride in a light aircraft today over Lake Tahoe in a Lancair 235. What a thrill. Hope everyone enjoys the photos.

Russ

post-3283-0-41978300-1305863579_thumb.jp

post-3283-0-13209700-1305863624_thumb.jp

post-3283-0-73947400-1305863661_thumb.jp

post-3283-0-61433900-1305863722_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mike is a pilot an he will be interested.

I work on the shit that gets airplanes in the air, to their destination, then back on the ground safely.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice pictures! i have always had a passing intrest in WW-II aircraft,as my maternal grandfather was a right-door gunner on a B-17 from 1943 to 1944,as well as a small plane pilot in cillian life. The plane in the picture reminds me of a smaller version of a P-51D "mustang".............Mark

post-5836-0-70397400-1305896334_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yea, I'm a Rare Bear fan. Been wanting to go but never have been. The plane looks similar to the Socata Trinadad I used to fly in the picture. The Lancair is a great flyer and beautiful also. By looking at the Skyforce GPS, your ground speed is 155 kts. nice.

Sorry got to go help someone.

mike

Been a Rare Bear fan since 1995. I have a VCR tape of the 94 event. The Bearcat is a Grumman F8F, once had a Pratt & Whitney 2800 Radial engine. Now has a Wright Cyclone 3350 with 4 rows of 7 cylinders with over 4,000 HP on Nitrous Oxide Injected. Has a shortened wing span by 4.5 ft. get this.....consumes 600 gallons per hour of racing fuel. Tanks hold 180 gallons....you do the mathematics.

My screen saver here at work is of a Bronse Class Racer named Risky Business, it is a P51D Mustang with pilot Bill Rineschild at the controls. I was fortunate enough to fly a P51D back in June of 2005 from Falcon Field, Atlanta from the trainer seat. It had only the bare essentials to get the pilot trained. It was mostly original except the rudder fabric was changed to a different color. The Mustang is called "Ole Red Nose"incase you want to look it up. The seat pans allow you to sit down on your parachute, inwhich you are buckled into, same as the WW2 pilots. The only thing missing I recall is the bomb sites. Very few have them today anyway. Other than me flying it around the area 10 miles south of the airfield we did a high speed dive at a small airport...and yes it was just below the tree line across the numbers at 320 kts. People were running out to see us fly by. They could have thrown a rock at us, we were so close to them. I had the time of my life that day. One that I will never forget. The mustang is my favorite airplane since it was the first plane that I sat down inside of in 1963, here in Nashville.

mike

I...uhhh...am way out of my league here. I woulda guessed 154.8 kts-nice pictures though!

Here's a couple for the Bear fans here. The last photo is a Wright 3350that Anderson Aeromotive had on display at the races, they are the company that built the engines for FIFI, the CAF's B-29, currently the only flyable B-29in the world.

Bob- You should come out to Stead next month for PRS, you can park your lawn chair and cooler right on the ramp and watch the flying.

Russ

post-3283-0-31707000-1306003895_thumb.jp

post-3283-0-42853100-1306004022_thumb.jp

post-3283-0-90149000-1306004092_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well, I guess this counts as aviational, I have always been completely fascinated by radial engines, the bigger, the better. I wish I could put one in my truck. Sorry, I know im wierd, cant help or explain it. randyp

It's OK Randy, we understand.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

heh heh,,thas too good Tom! I been watching a show on National Geographic lately, dont know what its called, bout a man running a couple of old DC-46's?, i thinks thats what they are called, moving freight and passengers around Alaska in weather bout 30 below. They got big radials. The mechanic goes with them, and several times has had to work on them between stops, outside, brutally cold weather. Hes a young guy, but seems to really know all bout them. They look like a nightmare to wrench on though. randyp

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I hope Spot did not make a booboo in the seat.

mike

Mike, I let Spot come in house one time this winter, really cold day, he sat by fireplace a while being really behaved. My wife said, "If he does a booboo in my house, Im gonna rub his nose in it!" I got up and let him back out, she asked me why I did that, I just told her I didnt wanna see her get her arm chewed off up to her shoulder. Spot wont allow anybody to get rough with him. randyp

• Like 1

Randy's radial engine B model should really scoot going backward cause the prop rotates to the right looking from the rear of the engine and not as the depiction represents. This is true with both Pratt&Whitney, and Wright Aeronautical engines.

Must be technologically correct you know.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

heh heh,,thas too good Tom! I been watching a show on National Geographic lately, dont know what its called, bout a man running a couple of old DC-46's?, i thinks thats what they are called, moving freight and passengers around Alaska in weather bout 30 below. They got big radials. The mechanic goes with them, and several times has had to work on them between stops, outside, brutally cold weather. Hes a young guy, but seems to really know all bout them. They look like a nightmare to wrench on though. randyp

I think it takes a special kind of dedication to want that kind of job. I've watched that show back several months ago but did not see the DC aircraft. Randy if you go to the web-site of the Rare Bear and look at the You-Tube of it taking a practice run around the patch we Fly-Boys call it, you will enjoy the lope that those 28 cylinders put out as he taxis out to the runway.

mike

One that i built or a freind built for me from a fuel management problem.

ya,,,russ thats what we usually wind up doing anyway,,cause my wife is too cheap to pay entry..pisses me off cause the veiw is much better if you go in,,hehe bob

I...uhhh...am way out of my league here. I woulda guessed 154.8 kts-nice pictures though!

ya,,,thats what we have to do anyway...wife is too cheap to pay the entry fee,,pisses me off,cause the veiw is much better,inside,hehe bob