A Couple Pictures

vision386

Ended up this week not far from my old hometown in Jersey,had to lay-over,as one of my stops closed early,so i decided to stop in for some hot-dogs (best in south Jersey) this is a combination flea-market and rodeo,supposed to be the oldest sanctioned rodeo on the east coast.This giant cowboy has been a local landmark since the 1970's,the S*J CX was just a bonus! as i was leaving,a sharp looking older model pete showed up (sorry Rob!)...did'nt really see anything else of much interest this week.............Mark

post-5836-0-66771300-1305381513_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-56214700-1305381525_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

a sharp looking older model pete showed up

I think that is what they term an "oxymoron".

Was a nice looking truck. I don't like all the added on garbage that is so popular these days.

We have a few of those fiberglass statues around the midwest. They were all made by the same company in the late 1950's and 60's. I read an article on them years ago.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

LOL! i agree,i dont like all the added crap either! i also read an article about these statues,i dont know if its true,but there are supposed to be more of them in NJ than anywhere else in the country,i can think of at least 20 right off the top of my head within 25 miles of where this picture was taken.......Mark

We've got one here that they renamed Sunny, I have always called him Henry though. Used to be on top of an appliance/tire store until it was sold a few years ago. They sold the statue to a glass shop along with all his accoutrements and they still dress him up for holidays.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

That cowboy used to be at "The Great Danbury State Fair" in CT. fairgrounds were sold to build a mall. All the stuff went to auction. The local Vol. Fire Dept. I belonged to was able to acquire an old :mack1: fire truck. Chain drive and all that. Some older folks remeber driving it and occasionnaly stopping to put the chain back on.

We were all crazy about fixing it up and .......... well it got sold because we didn't know WTF we were doing.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Sorry,once again I couldn't stop myself...

LMAO! i been in that situation once or twice (in my younger days) jess hope i never meet what fits in them "drawers"!........Mark

I found some info on these "giants" and most were manufactured by the same commpany, in a variety of configurations,paul bunyan being the most popular,but i know of some other types as well,the viking is at a carpet/flooring store right down the street from my mom's house,the one-legged guy is at a popular seafood restaurant about 12 miles from my old house in jersey,the real guy lost his leg to cancer,and would sit outside smoking a big stogie,greeting people as they went inside,pretty neat guy to talk to! and a damn good place to eat!..............Mark

post-5836-0-10721900-1305498350_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-12168600-1305498365_thumb.jp

I found some info on these "giants" and most were manufactured by the same commpany, in a variety of configurations,paul bunyan being the most popular,but i know of some other types as well,the viking is at a carpet/flooring store right down the street from my mom's house,the one-legged guy is at a popular seafood restaurant about 12 miles from my old house in jersey,the real guy lost his leg to cancer,and would sit outside smoking a big stogie,greeting people as they went inside,pretty neat guy to talk to! and a damn good place to eat!..............Mark

I've seen the viking characters in places but can't remember where.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Maybe at a gay bar?

Prolly not. Coulda been at a "gang bang" where I was screaming "Me Last, Me Last".

Rob

The photo of the Pete is an old picture. That piece belongs to Randy Brown. It has gone through a tremendous transformation since those photos were taken. It has even changed quite a bit since then. This photo is from the article I did on the truck for ATCA's Double Clutch in 2008.

post-91-0-10517500-1305562902_thumb.jpg

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org