Some Pics Of The Rs

I've really enjoyed searching. With a limited number of chassis to search through it was a little easier to find a specific VIN than it would be to find one for something like an R685S. One of the most helpful things was the specifics remembered by first hand observations of the Phantom 309 when it was in operation.

I think 35358 and Rob's 35359 are pretty close to the same spec as 28683 (as far as the factory options go). If the truck on eBay is all original then the 13 speed transmission would dictate that it is not an RL753LST, since all of the 753's I saw were equipped with RT9509A transmissions, but instead is likely one of the original 2 RL755LST's, either 11230 or 11231. It sounds like it may not be all original though. Anybody know what the Caterpillar 1674 was rated at?

My understanding is that the 1693 parts were really expensive, even back then. I've heard main bearings ran somewhere around $1,000 a set.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I've really enjoyed searching. With a limited number of chassis to search through it was a little easier to find a specific VIN than it would be to find one for something like an R685S. One of the most helpful things was the specifics remembered by first hand observations of the Phantom 309 when it was in operation.

I think 35358 and Rob's 35359 are pretty close to the same spec as 28683 (as far as the factory options go). If the truck on eBay is all original then the 13 speed transmission would dictate that it is not an RL753LST, since all of the 753's I saw were equipped with RT9509A transmissions, but instead is likely one of the original 2 RL755LST's, either 11230 or 11231. It sounds like it may not be all original though. Anybody know what the Caterpillar 1674 was rated at?

My understanding is that the 1693 parts were really expensive, even back then. I've heard main bearings ran somewhere around $1,000 a set.

You ain't shittin parts are expensive for this engine. Just an overhaul gasket set was over $1000.00 for the three piece set priced retail. My wife can purchase a bit less expensive.

I will be working at O'hare field all next week. I will try to physically get a look at this RL to straighten it out further. I'm going to call the Mack museum, and maybe some local police agency's to see if I can find something in the national database of current registered trucks.

Got a few more things dug out of the shop today and I can actually walk up to my truck now. Still can't flip the hood open cause another B61 chassis blocks the way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Peoria airport had a bunch of airfield equipment powered by 1674 Caterpillar engines. All were in the 275hp range if I remember correctly. Seems like they didn't much care to go a lot higher and yield good service.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I Spoke with the owner of the Ebay RL. his name is Jim and here is its story... It was Bob Eckstein's first or 2nd truck. Factory new in 72 it had spoke rears, spring ride and a short 36" sleeper. It was cat powered, not sure of the transmission.(sounds just like his style?) When Bob bought the new RL"309" he sold the truck to Jim. Jim stretched the frame 3' and put an air ride cut off that he had bought from a mack dealer. at this time he also removed the small crawl in sleeper and put a walk in bunk from a KW. a few years later work had slowed down, he parked it and went trucking localy in a company truck. the engine was kind of tired and was going to need to be gone thru. While in the slow down Jim thought Instead of rebuilding the engine he would put in a 3406C? but he never got to install it. So I think it retains the factory engine? The truck was put into garage storage in the mid-late 90s.He said it sat there untill 5-6 years ago when he Moved. He said he did fire her up and drove it the 5 miles to its the new indoor parking spot in Lake villa. He said he primed the turbo put new fuel filters on added some new fuel, jumped started it and it fired off. The cab does have some rust in the normal spots, behind the cab under the door etc... He did have mack put in new lower cab metal panels when he was running. forget where he had them do the cab maintance but it sounds like he was trying to maintain it. the cab interior was painted blue, and he had some interior panels made to spruce it up. the bunk is all facotry KW tan...

He has sevreal people intrested in it so I said I will call him early this week to set up a time to get over to look at it.

We chatted about Bob a little and he said that Bob had died from a hart attack in his mid-late 30s. the truck went to his uncle or brother in NJ/PA. He was hoping that if it was ever going to be sold that they would have contacted him first but he herd that the hood and sleeper showed up at a auction and the rest of the truck was junked.

Hope to get some pics next week and more of the story of both trucks..

Tret

• Like 1

I Spoke with the owner of the Ebay RL. his name is Jim and here is its story... It was Bob Eckstein's first or 2nd truck. Factory new in 72 it had spoke rears, spring ride and a short 36" sleeper. It was cat powered, not sure of the transmission.(sounds just like his style?) When Bob bought the new RL"309" he sold the truck to Jim. Jim stretched the frame 3' and put an air ride cut off that he had bought from a mack dealer. at this time he also removed the small crawl in sleeper and put a walk in bunk from a KW. a few years later work had slowed down, he parked it and went trucking localy in a company truck. the engine was kind of tired and was going to need to be gone thru. While in the slow down Jim thought Instead of rebuilding the engine he would put in a 3406C? but he never got to install it. So I think it retains the factory engine? The truck was put into garage storage in the mid-late 90s.He said it sat there untill 5-6 years ago when he Moved. He said he did fire her up and drove it the 5 miles to its the new indoor parking spot in Lake villa. He said he primed the turbo put new fuel filters on added some new fuel, jumped started it and it fired off. The cab does have some rust in the normal spots, behind the cab under the door etc... He did have mack put in new lower cab metal panels when he was running. forget where he had them do the cab maintance but it sounds like he was trying to maintain it. the cab interior was painted blue, and he had some interior panels made to spruce it up. the bunk is all facotry KW tan...

He has sevreal people intrested in it so I said I will call him early this week to set up a time to get over to look at it.

We chatted about Bob a little and he said that Bob had died from a hart attack in his mid-late 30s. the truck went to his uncle or brother in NJ/PA. He was hoping that if it was ever going to be sold that they would have contacted him first but he herd that the hood and sleeper showed up at a auction and the rest of the truck was junked.

Hope to get some pics next week and more of the story of both trucks..

Tret

If you can set the meeting up in the evening and I'll go with you. I'm staying at my boys's place about 12 miles south of Kanzler's yard just off 59.

Rob

I'm calling him this Tuesday noon to see if he can meet Tuesday at 6 pm. He has to get some stuff moved to get pics the truck...

I just spoke with a fried about the 309. He is a bmt member and knows some more cool stuff about both of bobs trucks. told him to check out this thread so. Hopefully he will post what knows.

I have really enjoyed reading this topic. I asked my Dad if he remembered seeing these trucks on the road "back in the day", and he does. He said that they pulled covered wagons and that that the maroon truck used to park off of Rt. 12 between Lake Zurich and Wauconda on the east side of the road. I thought that was pretty cool. I hope you guys get a chance to see the truck and I trust that Trent will give me a full report. -Brad

post-61-0-15642800-1304238389_thumb.jpg

This truck was for sale awhile back in WI,probably still there cause he was asking quite abit for it.It's a RL753LST,with a 1674 in it.I'm pretty sure the ad said it was a 1971.

Guess I was mistaken,this truck is a RS753LST,VIN# RS753LST14786,1674 Cat,TRQL7220,5:73 Mack rears

Trent,here are the pics that i have...............Mark

Nice pictures of Bob Eckstein's Phantom 309,Mark. I took the pictures of what was left of it at Macungie,Pa.,in about 2003 or 4.Some guy from N.J. was selling the bunk,hood and other misc. parts.If I would have had a pick up, that stuff would have returned to Ill. I will have to dig up the pictures.The guy who painted that truck for Bobby, is in our local ATHS chapter.His name is Rich Johnson from Freeport,Ill..Trucks he painted and lettered, were featured in OVERDRIVE many times throughout the 70's and 80's.Bob was leased to the Viking Division (flatbed) of Spector Freight out of Chicago. :mack1::thumb:

Edited by 57 bcr
  • Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Nice pictures of Bob Exstine's Phantom 309,Mark. I took the pictures of what was left of it at Macungie,Pa.,in about 2003 or 4.Some guy from N.J. was selling the bunk,hood and other misc. parts.If I would have had a pick up, that stuff would have returned to Ill. I will have to dig up the pictures.The guy who painted that truck for Bobby, is in our local ATHS chapter.His name is Rich Johnson from Freeport,Ill..Trucks he painted and lettered, were featured in OVERDRIVE many times throughout the 70's and 80's.Bob was leased to the Viking Division (flatbed) of Spector Freight out of Chicago. :mack1::thumb:

Thanks for adding your info Al. Another piec to this puzzel and more info added. It was good chatting with you today. hope I can make it to South Bend to say hello to you and some of the club members.

Trent

Nice pictures of Bob Exstine's Phantom 309,Mark. I took the pictures of what was left of it at Macungie,Pa.,in about 2003 or 4.Some guy from N.J. was selling the bunk,hood and other misc. parts.If I would have had a pick up, that stuff would have returned to Ill. I will have to dig up the pictures.The guy who painted that truck for Bobby, is in our local ATHS chapter.His name is Rich Johnson from Freeport,Ill..Trucks he painted and lettered, were featured in OVERDRIVE many times throughout the 70's and 80's.Bob was leased to the Viking Division (flatbed) of Spector Freight out of Chicago. :mack1::thumb:

Thanks for adding to the discussion. Any chance that he might have some pictures of the paint job when it was freshly done?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks for adding your info Al. Another piec to this puzzel and more info added. It was good chatting with you today. hope I can make it to South Bend to say hello to you and some of the club members.

Trent

You bet. See you there! :thumb::mack1::thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

OK Rob,

How about this one RL771LST5389X Vintage '71 'built in CA This has been very interesting an Egie me cational. Some of the pictures an an info have been a learning curve on the R700's! The serial # is the one off the truck I got last month out of WA State

Ernie DS

OK Rob,

How about this one RL771LST5389 Vintage '71 'built in CA This has been very interesting an Egie me cational. Some of the pictures an an info have been a learning curve on the R700's! The serial # is the one off the truck I got last month out of WA State

Ernie DS

HI Ernie, I really don't have any way to research anything with the number except through the Mack museum or tasking someone at a dealership. You are however missing a digit in your vin number to the truck as it should be 13 characters long.

Nice to see so many of these R700 series trucks still around and in memory.

Rob

HI Ernie, I really don't have any way to research anything with the number except through the Mack museum or tasking someone at a dealership. You are however missing a digit in your vin number to the truck as it should be 13 characters long.

Rob

The old VIN #'s didn't have to be a certain number of characters,my '69 RL for example is 12 characters,RL739LST4574.Got a '73 R with only 11,it's R685ST30384.Big share of my B models are only 8 characters.

The old VIN #'s didn't have to be a certain number of characters,my '69 RL for example is 12 characters,RL739LST4574.Got a '73 R with only 11,it's R685ST30384.Big share of my B models are only 8 characters.

I think it was the 1974 model year when vin numbers in North America went from 11 characters to 13. 1980 brought out the 17 character vin numbers which we have today. This is for automobiles at least and I'm uncertain of heavy trucks.

Rob

Rob,

Thats what is on the frame an the title, I did call Mack museum an gave them the info they needed and am waiting on them

Nice pictures of Bob Exstein's Phantom 309,Mark. I took the pictures of what was left of it at Macungie,Pa.,in about 2003 or 4.Some guy from N.J. was selling the bunk,hood and other misc. parts.If I would have had a pick up, that stuff would have returned to Ill. I will have to dig up the pictures.The guy who painted that truck for Bobby, is in our local ATHS chapter.His name is Rich Johnson from Freeport,Ill..Trucks he painted and lettered, were featured in OVERDRIVE many times throughout the 70's and 80's.Bob was leased to the Viking Division (flatbed) of Spector Freight out of Chicago. :mack1::thumb:

Another piece of the puzzle! thanks so much for posting your info! if you have been following any of this,i would eventually like to duplicate this truck as close as possible,so any good pictures (or bad!) are helpful,would also sure like to know the specifics of that paint-job,IE: paint color,brand, types etc.as this is not an easy scheme to "eyeball" LOL!, i'd even like to see the "what was left" pics,a sad end to a great truck for sure! It has been brought to my attention Bob mainly pulled a flatbed,but i saw the truck a few times pulling a dry-box (van) in North Jersey/Eastern,PA early in my career,i wish i had have been able to talk with him about this truck,as it has been my alltime favorite truck i always thought it was tastefully done,allways clean,well maintained and reflected pride of ownership! Thanks again,Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'll let Trent explain what we found this evening by looking at the truck in Chicagoland. It is not an RL755LST, but rather an RL753LST.

Looks to have been a nice truck.

Rob

Truck was very cool to see. Jim was very kind to let us truck nuts come see it. I had someone from the east coast Email me last week asking for pics so Rob and I killed 2 birds with one stone.

Truck looks good for its age. to me it looks like it was just parked after it was last used 15 years ago. Im not fond of the early R cabs but this truck had some neet options.The dash had some custom touches and the roof had some cool things to make it more liveable. Its a walk in KW sleeper. with its own Heat and AC in the bunk. Engine looked all there. These guys were outlaws! still has the radar detector on the dash! thought that was great!.

Jim told us some stories about running with Bob and how Bob was always showing off the power in his new truck. very cool to have met him and his truck tonight.

Its for sale so if intrested check his ebay add and give him a ring

Trent