Bad Day For The Superliner!

Buddy of mine sent me these pictures,seems the RW could not stop in time,and rear-ended another dump-truck making a right turn,shot the transfer box right off the rails! no one was seriously hurt luckily! wrecked up what looks to be a pretty nice truck...........Mark

post-5836-0-48347000-1297997685_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-19887200-1297997705_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Buddy of mine sent me these pictures,seems the RW could not stop in time,and rear-ended another dump-truck making a right turn,shot the transfer box right off the rails! no one was seriously hurt luckily! wrecked up what looks to be a pretty nice truck...........Mark

Glad noone was hurt. But oh how it hurts to see that old dog wrecked.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Must be some place out west?

Looks like a "Reliance" brand transfer setup. Very popular in California although I don't know if the company is still in business.

These are what my RL797L used in it's prior life.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes,this was out in california,not sure when it happened,but transfer dumps are very popular out on the west coast,seems like an awful lot of work to run one though......but when its done right,its kinda neat to see in action! some of thse guys can really hustle getting them changed over! i have seen a similar contest like this one once when i was in L.A. for a weekend a few years back,wish i had taken some pictures,beacuse a woman in a RL-700 won the overall speed competition!........Mark

Ok I watched this and have to ask, How does the transfer box get into the dump body when loaded?

Also, what keeps the transfer box inside when dumping?

Trucks should have a load to get real time. Unless they spread driveways that way.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Ok I watched this and have to ask, How does the transfer box get into the dump body when loaded?

Trucks should have a load to get real time. Unless they spread driveways that way.

They straiten out, unhook the trailer and back up over the draw-bar (thats why their draw bars are so low.), then unlock the transfer box and it rolls into the main box. There is a locking mechanism that keeps the box inside.

Supposedly they are good for operating on sites that are too difficult to navigate with a dump trailer. There are even doubles so you have a dump pulling two transfer trailers. Quite a sight.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Saw a similar thing happen a couple years back up un RT 73 Maple Shade NJ. Only dump trailer was loaded with animal carcasses and all kinds of CRAP! Must have come from a slaughter house or something. A cube van stopped short to turn in the Cumberland Farms but the Big truck didn't!!! Man that stuff was all over the hiway, it was a nice hot, humid Jersey summer day. Gotta hand it to NJDOT they had to clean it up and then put sand down. :(

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the BUG!!!

Saw a similar thing happen a couple years back up un RT 73 Maple Shade NJ. Only dump trailer was loaded with animal carcasses and all kinds of CRAP! Must have come from a slaughter house or something. A cube van stopped short to turn in the Cumberland Farms but the Big truck didn't!!! Man that stuff was all over the hiway, it was a nice hot, humid Jersey summer day. Gotta hand it to NJDOT they had to clean it up and then put sand down. :(

I'm sure nobody noticed the smell

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I talked to a driver out at work some time back that lived in Ca and he was a transfere dump driver. He Said the transfere was just another way of life with him. I said why them and he said that one reason was weight restriction in the city and with them they can get around better plus take two different materials at the same time to same job.

glenn akers

The one that i looked at up close had a cable (like a roll-off) to draw the loaded box into the dump body,once inside,it has a latch (like a dump tailgate) to keep it in place,this was a few years ago,they may do something different now......the one i saw was a real nice RL-700 Mack,driven by a pretty nice lookin' woman,this girl was about 120 lbs. 5'4" if that,and the R-model did'nt have power steering,and was a duplex,she did better with that truck then a lot of the men out there that day! she was the winner in the overall speed competition.....Mark

Worst mess i ever saw like that was at exit 7,getting on the Turnpike, a tanker load of raw hersheys chocolate syrup turned over,broke in half on the get-off ramp coming south right at bordentown by the truckstops...they had fire trucks out there washing down the road! that S**T was an inch thick,and covered half a sqaure mile! was running down the overpass like brown snot! nasty,nasty mess! LOL!..........Mark

I'm still cornfused. What powers the box forward? The pup trailer? Then what power the trailer as it's never hooked up to the truck when transfering? Or is it when they stick the two prongs of the pup into the back of the dump body, does it get power that way???

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Try this one,it goes into a little more detail,you can see the driver hooking up air/electric lines to the transfer,and un-hooking when he's done....Crazy canadians in this one!,hope you can stand the "hindu" music towards the end,but a neat video non-theless! if you watch carefully,you can kind of see how it operates...........Mark

I'm still cornfused. What powers the box forward? The pup trailer? Then what power the trailer as it's never hooked up to the truck when transfering? Or is it when they stick the two prongs of the pup into the back of the dump body, does it get power that way???

No power either way. The trailer box has rollers on it. The truck box has rails for the rollers. They park facing down hill and the box rolls down into the truck box. When moving the box back the truck box is usually left up just a little. The third guy looks like is pulling the box at the end. In the second video (Canadian)the trailers look like they have air powered chain drives to push/pull the boxes. Did you notice they have a starter switch on the back of the truck? They turn off the engine, leave the trans in reverse, and bring the truck back to the trailer with the starter when hooking up the hitch.

Guest 45LMSWM

Maybe a little hard to believe, but at least 2 companies run them in New Jersey, Silo Service/Spinelli & Manville Mason Suppply both run them. Manville still had their's a few years ago, but not sure if they still do. I saw one from Spinelli a few months ago. Very odd to see transfer dumps in this part of the country.

-John

Maybe a little hard to believe, but at least 2 companies run them in New Jersey, Silo Service/Spinelli & Manville Mason Suppply both run them. Manville still had their's a few years ago, but not sure if they still do. I saw one from Spinelli a few months ago. Very odd to see transfer dumps in this part of the country.

-John

Hey John,are you talking about J.spinelli & sons in Millville,NJ? before i moved to VA i remember seeing at least one transfer dump,if i remember correctly,it was a bright yellow T-800 Kenworth?............Mark

Guest 45LMSWM

Hey John,are you talking about J.spinelli & sons in Millville,NJ? before i moved to VA i remember seeing at least one transfer dump,if i remember correctly,it was a bright yellow T-800 Kenworth?............Mark

Yes, J. Spinelli & Sons. They also operate as Silo Service, Inc. They have T800s and used to run Autocar ACLs with transfer dumps. Manville Mason Supply had an ACL Autocar as well, quite possible could have been an ex Spinelli truck.

-John