Change Your Air Filter!

I dunno....sounds to me like he was gettin' kinda fresh with the bulldozer's parts & pieces. :lol:

It all changed when he "borrowed" my bear.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I dunno....sounds to me like he was gettin' kinda fresh with the bulldozer's parts & pieces. :lol:

Might want to keep a watchful eye on your dog...since his name is Dozer and all...just sayin'.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Might want to keep a watchful eye on your dog...since his name is Dozer and all...just sayin'.

I had thought about that but the bear is a little more his "size", and female.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Randy, You got my VOTE iffin ya run for office of some kind.

mike

heh heh,,,sometimes you gotta bend the rules to play by the rules, but, yes, well, I guess I may have enough "suction" to put one in the RED. Actually, didnt take much to lock it into red. I dont know why it wasnt working as it should, possibly had trash blocking input port on filter housing, but filter was definitely plugged up. LOL,,I have also been known to "pressurize" fuel tanks before too, kinda leaves a greasy ring round your mouth though,,,heh heh,,,now run with that,,,,randyp :pat:

heh heh,,,sometimes you gotta bend the rules to play by the rules, but, yes, well, I guess I may have enough "suction" to put one in the RED. Actually, didnt take much to lock it into red. I dont know why it wasnt working as it should, possibly had trash blocking input port on filter housing, but filter was definitely plugged up. LOL,,I have also been known to "pressurize" fuel tanks before too, kinda leaves a greasy ring round your mouth though,,,heh heh,,,now run with that,,,,randyp :pat:

You left the door wide open right there bud! but i'm gonna be good,and not comment on your "suction"!!!!!.................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

You left the door wide open right there bud! but i'm gonna be good,and not comment on your "suction"!!!!!.................Mark

I've been good for several hours since seeing the post.

Rob

:lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 2 weeks later...

My truck gets a new air filter every time I change the oil and give it new oil & fuel filters. Sometimes I feel like THAT is even too long...and it's only a couple months.

The filters in my pickup trucks generally last several years...but they don't play in the dust near as much, and probably see less miles in 3 years than the Mack does in 1 month. B)

That one was pretty bad. :blink:

Actually changing your filter too often is about the worse thing you could do. It allows the fine dust to get straight through to your engine. Of course if you like polished cylinders and don't mind in frames fairly often I guess it won't hurt much...

If you aren't the lead dog the scenery never changes!

Blue G00se

• 9 years later...
On 2/12/2011 at 10:47 AM, MACKS said:

I know a lot of guys that change there air filter every year whether it needs it or not,the filter in my cl is going on three years,I'm going by what mack says and watching the restrition gauge,is this wrong should I just change it anyway.This subject has come up from time to time with some of my friends and they say I'm nuts for not changing it once a year,I tell them to read the label on the filter housing,what do guys think?

Another thing people don't think about. When I was still running Cat motors I used to  use Cat's SOS engine oil sampling at every change (I changed my oil and filters at 300 hours as it was on/off road vocational use)

Anyway one winter I started getting higher than average sodium levels in my oil. I went to my local Toromont Cat and asked the service manager about it. He said "that is the winter road salt getting in through your air filters when you are running in the wet mist."

After that I started replacing my filters every spring.

And I am not a fan of those gradual lockup filter restriction minders. My new Stars, I get the gauges that read restriction real time. I find them way more accurate.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2011 at 5:56 PM, BGT said:

Actually changing your filter too often is about the worse thing you could do. It allows the fine dust to get straight through to your engine. Of course if you like polished cylinders and don't mind in frames fairly often I guess it won't hurt much...

Which is why I like my Kubota tractors. They have an inner and outer element. You change the outer and the inner is there to catch anything that may fall in when you remove the outer.

But even on the big trucks, I am more careful than most dealers would be. When I remove my filters I shop vac the cans out and wipe out the intake elbows as far as I can reach.

Same with greasing. I wipe the fittings off BEFORE I grease. It irritates me when I see people just push the grease gun on and start pumping the dirt in with the grease.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Which is why I like my Kubota tractors. They have an inner and outer element. You change the outer and the inner is there to catch anything that may fall in when you remove the outer.

But even on the big trucks, I am more careful than most dealers would be. When I remove my filters I shop vac the cans out and wipe out the intake elbows as far as I can reach.

Same with greasing. I wipe the fittings off BEFORE I grease. It irritates me when I see people just push the grease gun on and start pumping the dirt in with the grease.

all off road equipment has a inner and outer air filter,  I have had to blow the outer out every 6hours on combines and every day on tractors before,  why they haven't  put inner safety filters on on road trucks is beyond me

4 hours ago, bts-4120 said:

all off road equipment has a inner and outer air filter,  I have had to blow the outer out every 6hours on combines and every day on tractors before,  why they haven't  put inner safety filters on on road trucks is beyond me

Oh ok. I only have Kubota, so that was all I was sure about. And my Allis Chalmers have oil bath. But I agree, it is a good idea.

Back in the late 90's and 2000's I hauled wood chips. That job was brutal on air filters.

33 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Back in the late 90's and 2000's I hauled wood chips.

Sorry to sideline this a little.........

Did you haul wood chips to Domtar in Huntsville. I used to haul sawdust there in the middle, late 90's from manufacturing plants just north of Toronto. I used to take it Brantford for paper too . I seem to remember that alot of the chips came from northern Ontario. I could be wrong though. 

Keith 

24 minutes ago, 85snowdog said:

Sorry to sideline this a little.........

Did you haul wood chips to Domtar in Huntsville. I used to haul sawdust there in the middle, late 90's from manufacturing plants just north of Toronto. I used to take it Brantford for paper too . I seem to remember that alot of the chips came from northern Ontario. I could be wrong though. 

No Snowdog. I have been by that mill because I used to work for Fowler's for a few years with my dump truck. But when I hauled wood I pulled walking floor and did bark, logs, slabs and hog fuel between the Sault and Thunder Bay, Chapleau, Sudbury and as far south as Alban, Noelville and Monetville.

And chips and shavings I hauled from all over Michigan to the Sault.

• Like 1