Building Mack Water Tanker

curtb515

Is that safety yellow, or just bright yellow? The computer is not accurate with color representation to me.

Gonna be an attention grabber for certain.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is that Botsford, CT? Newtown/Monroe area?

Truck looks good so far. What size pump?

Yes you are correct Botsford, CT.aka Newtown It will have a 450gpm pump., quik dump on rear, 3000 gal. portable pond. She's meant to be a workhorse to haul water effectively. Not going to be a parade queen but will be nice when complete.

• 4 weeks later...

lookin good. What will be on the roof?

BTW-y'all had some excitement the other day with those buildings collapsing.

I read the Newstimes on line. Originally from Danbury.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

lookin good. What will be on the roof?

BTW-y'all had some excitement the other day with those buildings collapsing.

I read the Newstimes on line. Originally from Danbury.

It seems funny when you drive by Georgia pacific now. Just the office building left standing.

Hopefully nothing, plan for the light bar is to fabricate a mount off the front of the body as I will have a gap between the cab and body due to the stack.

looking good. Will it have one of those nice stainless steel water tanks on it?

No. I originally was headed in that direction but found a full poly body with a lifetime warranty. It's really lite weight. The engineering staff at UPF in Massachusetts designed the body for my chassis. Spec the weight distribution and believe it or not they claim the truck with a 3000gal tanker, driver and equipment will scale out at 43,200 vs a gross of 52,000. With that being the case this truck should "roll" nicely.

• 2 months later...
Does it matter? it's NOT RED!!!! Either way it's SLIME LIME

As Kermit said "It ain't easy being green"

On a more serious note, I'm really glad you are doing it right by getting the proper engineering for the body and weight. Tankers are easily the most dangerous fire service vehicles to drive, especially those home made jobs that use old oil tanks that are not designed to carry water. If you look at the numbers more members get killed in tanker roll-overs than any other vehicle incidents.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

As Kermit said "It ain't easy being green"

On a more serious note, I'm really glad you are doing it right by getting the proper engineering for the body and weight. Tankers are easily the most dangerous fire service vehicles to drive, especially those home made jobs that use old oil tanks that are not designed to carry water. If you look at the numbers more members get killed in tanker roll-overs than any other vehicle incidents.

My nextdoor neighbor in jersey was a volunteer fireman,in charge of driving the tanker (an old hess oil truck,B-model) never had any roll-over type problems,but when the truck was donated,it went in for paint/bodywork lettering etc. the only fact that was overlooked was that there was 800 gallons of unleaded gas left in the trailer! made the local newspaper,luckily the structure that burned down was un-inhabited! (chicken coop) it was quite the fire! i could see it from my house about 10 miles away!..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Hopefully nothing, plan for the light bar is to fabricate a mount off the front of the body as I will have a gap between the cab and body due to the stack.

Modify that pipe at the bottom of the stack to move it forward, then install a straight pipe & the stack will be far enough forward that you can mount the body without excessive gap between body & cab. That's what I did when converting CH tractors into dump trucks.

06_12_1.jpg

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah not real thrilled with the chevron on the back but it is required. It will be ready for late next week. Finishing up the details and off to the Lettering guy for some stripe details. It's been a long journey getting this thing built.

Yeah not real thrilled with the chevron on the back but it is required. It will be ready for late next week. Finishing up the details and off to the Lettering guy for some stripe details. It's been a long journey getting this thing built.

You can always rent it out to the highway department to use as a traffic blocker!

Is the rear dump going to have a swivel so you don't have to back up to the fold-a-tank? Or does it have side dumps as well?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Why not point the swivel section up? I'm sure you know this, but being able to quickly dump to the side really speeds up the whole operation and keeps the fold-a-tank out of the traffic pattern better. Is the dump valve air operated?