Modern Wheels

20in cross over to 22.5 tubeless (one piece)

22in are 24.5 tubeless

The differant wheels are:

Dayton

Budd

And the newest have piloted studs/nuts

Packer

Do you mean that the 22 inch I have now would require a 24.4 inch rim to go tubeless? But If I stay with a tube tire,

they have 22 one piece wheels? I assume Dayton is the spoke type?

Thanks

Do you mean that the 22 inch I have now would require a 24.4 inch rim to go tubeless? But If I stay with a tube tire,

they have 22 one piece wheels? I assume Dayton is the spoke type?

Thanks

You are correct on the first count. To replace a straight 22" tube type tire and rim will require a 24.5" tubeless tire and rim. There are no 22" one piece rims offered for trucks. You are also correct in that Dayton wheels are the spoke type. There are also no american produced 22" tires readily available for sale; all I've seen are either chinese, or india produced and neither are worth their costs as production quality is lacking.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You are correct on the first count. To replace a straight 22" tube type tire and rim will require a 24.5" tubeless tire and rim. There are no 22" one piece rims offered for trucks. You are also correct in that Dayton wheels are the spoke type. There are also no american produced 22" tires readily available for sale; all I've seen are either chinese, or india produced and neither are worth their costs as production quality is lacking.

Rob

Thanks...I guess I am going to look for a couple of used tubeless 24.5's!

I am a little thick sometimes, just wanna be sure...a 24 inch rim will fit the 22 in dayton wheel I have? Is the rim that much thicker?

A 24.5" tubeless tire rim will fit spokes originally equipt with 22" rims. I don't know about a 24" tube type rims as I've never owned any, but assume they will also fit the spokes set up for 22/24.5 rims.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A 24.5" tubeless tire rim will fit spokes originally equipt with 22" rims. I don't know about a 24" tube type rims as I've never owned any, but assume they will also fit the spokes set up for 22/24.5 rims.

Rob

No way. 24" are in a league of their own.

I am looking for 1 piece front wheels to replace my old style with the rings...What is the correct terminology and are all 22 inch one piece wheels the same (as long as the width is the same)?

If Im reading this right..... you are look for a rim and tire to change from spoke(dayton) to 1peice(budd). you can go to any size you like 22.5 or 24.5. You will have to change the hubs to put a 1peice rim on your truck OR are you looking to change the split rim to modern day dayton rim??? are you wanting to put aluminum rims on? answer these 3 question and Im sure some one can help you out! b0b0

I recently converted split rims to one piece tubeless rims, without using a bud or aluminium wheel. The one piece rims allow you to use tubeless tires and they fit right over your spoke hubs. Once installed, the untrained eye won't be able to tell the difference. Also, you won't have to worry about the hassle and danger of the split rims. The one piece rims are made by Accuride. They have a pretty good website, with a comprehensive product catalog. I will write back with more specific info in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I posted a few pictures of the installed one piece rims. engine3

post-7253-075020700 1289815193_thumb.jpg

post-7253-052933600 1289815210_thumb.jpg

Edited by engine3

I recently converted split rims to one piece tubeless rims, without using a bud or aluminium wheel. The one piece rims allow you to use tubeless tires and they fit right over your spoke hubs. Once installed, the untrained eye won't be able to tell the difference. Also, you won't have to worry about the hassle and danger of the split rims. The one piece rims are made by Accuride. They have a pretty good website, with a comprehensive product catalog. I will write back with more specific info in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I posted a few pictures of the installed one piece rims. engine3

thanks for adding the pics,

As i am a new member, i was bit confused, but got clarified after looking at pics.

keep it up.

No way. 24" are in a league of their own.

David - The nice little stack of 24 inch wheels and rims I bought for you at the auction are sitting right here. The last time I walked by, they whispered that they were hoping to get sent back into action! I told them to calm down, they don't realize what it could mean for them to have to haul containers in the Carolinas. Hanging out on a cattle farm ain't such a bad gig.

I noticed that one of the wheels has a 25 inch tire and it had a spacer rim inside it for when it was used on a truck with 24 inch wheels - was that some kind of off highway thing? I have never seen it on a highway truck. Several of the wheels are Euclid puke green. Strange stuff!

To clarify all issues...........what does it say on the sidewall of your tire? 10.00-20 or ??

My B model had 10.00-20's and I put tubeless 22.5 tires all around using rims supplied by tire store I bought tires from. Basically the same size only tubeless. My tire store charged me $50/ea rim when I bought new tires.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

There's a whole bunch of things at play here and its easy to get screwed up. Before buying anything, if you don't know for sure, you need to post your exact size tire and folks here will help you find out the tires that are equivalent rolling diameters.

Even though it is tempting to refer only to the "wheel" or "rim" size of 20", 22", 24", 22.5", 24.5" etc,, another important factor in the rolling diameter is the complete size of the tire mounted on the rim.

For those converting from the most common tube-type tire/rim/wheel assemblies to tubeless, the size conversions are:

10.00x20 (bias) and 10.00R20 (radial) tube type tires convert directly to 11R22.5 tires when you change the wheel/rim assembly along with it. In otherwords, 10.00x20 has the same rolling diameter as an 11R22.5.

10.00x22 (bias) and 10.00R22 (radial) tube type tires convert directly to 11R24.5 tires when you change the wheel/rim assembly along with it. Note that the 10.00R22 (radial) is no longer available in the US and 10.00x22's (bias) are only available by special order from a limited number of distributors. These are the cheap Chinese and Indian tires that were referred to in an earlier post.

Be careful when buying "22.5" or "24.5" tires as they come in various low-profile sizes that share the same 22.5 or 24.5 inch rim respectively, but have different rolling diameters. Some of the "low profile" tires also use a slightly narrower rim. Also, for heavier applications, some 22.5 or 24.5 tires have a larger rolling diameter, such as 315's, 385's and 425's commonly used in refuse, fire and construction trades.

On tube type tires, although 10.00R20 and 10.00x20 are the most common size, there are 9.00x20's, 11.00R20's, 12.00R20's and many more.

This can get very confusing really fast.

On the wheel side, Dayton (spoke) assemblies limit the ability to increase or decrease the wheel size, unlike disc wheels. On disc wheels, however, you have to know if you have "ball-seat" stud piloted wheels or "hub piloted" wheels. The changeover was gradual but let's call 1990 the point where hub-piloted wheels started becoming popular. Today they are the industry standard. You can still buy new ball-seat wheels, but they are usually non-stock items. When buying a set of used wheels, be sure to find out exactly what they are as they are not interchangeable at all.

Hope this is as clear as mud now.

• Like 1

David - The nice little stack of 24 inch wheels and rims I bought for you at the auction are sitting right here. The last time I walked by, they whispered that they were hoping to get sent back into action! I told them to calm down, they don't realize what it could mean for them to have to haul containers in the Carolinas. Hanging out on a cattle farm ain't such a bad gig.

I noticed that one of the wheels has a 25 inch tire and it had a spacer rim inside it for when it was used on a truck with 24 inch wheels - was that some kind of off highway thing? I have never seen it on a highway truck. Several of the wheels are Euclid puke green. Strange stuff!

25 inch? That is a tire size only found on off highway equipment. The ones I have seen are fitted to demountable rims that mount to a 24" hub. I am curious as to what size it is, 25's come in many sizes but the smallest I have heard of is 14.00-25/14.00R25, which are almost identical in size to a 14.00-24.

So you are correct in the off highway assumption. And it might have very well come off of a smaller Euclid dump.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!