Pics I Promised

Some nice "brute" trucks there.

There are a couple of reasons for installing Mack rears under a Pete:

1: To extend it's agony on earth as in revenge.

2: To lessen the chance of the driver having to return on foot, or a hook, as tow bills are EXPENSIVE!

Either way, A mistake in my opinion, as one should let sleeping dogs lye.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the good thing about it is they are going to part it out for extra parts and scrap the cab and frame. joe

Looks like that truck has an aluminum frame.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

its tripple steel just like the macks except the front area the holes for the susp is drilled dif for the weard front axle thats under it.

Thats some nice looking trucks, dont know laws in other states, do those trucks haul coal strictly offroad? Here in Texas, they wouldnt be legal with dump beds that far behind rear axle, DOT around here would probably get out with guns drawn and cocked,,,,randy

Some nice "brute" trucks there.

There are a couple of reasons for installing Mack rears under a Pete:

1: To extend it's agony on earth as in revenge.

2: To lessen the chance of the driver having to return on foot, or a hook, as tow bills are EXPENSIVE!

Either way, A mistake in my opinion, as one should let sleeping dogs lye.

Rob

Hi,my name is Tom...and...and I...OK, I drive a Peterbilt! It's in the shop right now with the engine light on again.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hi,my name is Tom...and...and I...OK, I drive a Peterbilt! It's in the shop right now with the engine light on again.

Hi Tom, my name is Rob. You drive, (or make attempt) one of them things???? I hear the engine light in those trucks is to make for easy map reading to the nearest Pete dealer for repairs? I'm also told the newer ones use a talking GPS to tell you how far the next repair shop is, and every two minutes, recite the telephone number!!

Ain't technology great?

Damn, that truck has got to be frustrating.

Rob

hi randy the legal load limit in ky with the over weight permit is 94,500 on a tandem 120,000 with a tractor trailer. most times the trucks are way over weight so you can make a little money until the dot is around then its legal agin till there gone. cant remember the correct laws on over hang i think its 2 1/2 feet for them to be legal on the highway. most of them have car catchers under the rear of the bed at the legal space but with beds that long it makes dumping in a hopper or bin a pain in the butt without tearing the car catcher off.

rob i took the pic of the 1968 r600 just for you i thought you would like it. having a soft spot for models and all.its got a hyd boom on it that will pick up about 12 tons all day long. i herd that the new petes will have heated frontends so tom wont have to worry about the wrecker driver getting frost bit hands in the winter tryin to hook the chains...joe

Hi Tom, my name is Rob. You drive, (or make attempt) one of them things???? I hear the engine light in those trucks is to make for easy map reading to the nearest Pete dealer for repairs? I'm also told the newer ones use a talking GPS to tell you how far the next repair shop is, and every two minutes, recite the telephone number!!

Ain't technology great?

Damn, that truck has got to be frustrating.

Rob

it is, it derates itself when the light comes on and it came on just as I got to Woodstock Sunday night,then I had 2 more stops in Md. and De.

Probably came on because I was just telling another driver Friday that I hadn't had any trouble for a long time.

This truck is a 2006 model and this driver that I was talking to was loading Kubotas in Ga. too. He drove for H.H.Moore a long time ago,then got his own truck,leased to Landstar now I think. He was saying Cat had a lot of engine problems in '06 and '07. He must be right.

By the way, I was reading a truck paper a week or so ago and it said 55% of owners reported problems in new engines last year,up from 25% the year before,before the newest emissions laws took effect.Said the engines with the fewest reported problems was Detroit Diesel.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

By the way, I was reading a truck paper a week or so ago and it said 55% of owners reported problems in new engines last year,up from 25% the year before,before the newest emissions laws took effect.Said the engines with the fewest reported problems was Detroit Diesel.

In my neck of the woods, the drivers of Detroit Diesels would be less inclined to report problems due to the inability to make the language... :pat:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I've heard of a 6 and 4 but hadn't seen one before. saw this Freightliner with a 7 and 4 and a Peterbilt cap at the show in Colfax last year.

I used to drive an International 4700 series rollback with a DT466 and what they called the "6 plus" transmission....same 7 speed shift pattern, but without the 4 speed aux. trans....1st was labeled as "L", and every gear was 1 number lower.

R135

L246

Loved that truck.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rowdy...

I drove a few DT466 with the 6 plus trans. Loved the trucks as they had power and did very well for its size. But I really dont like that transmission. the gate pattern was to tight and I think those transmissions were synqronized? (sp?) I could not shift that thing smooth unless I used the clutch. I always was banging into 2nd and could never find 4th at the right time. The ratio step was great but just never could shift them smooth?

Rowdy...

I drove a few DT466 with the 6 plus trans. Loved the trucks as they had power and did very well for its size. But I really dont like that transmission. the gate pattern was to tight and I think those transmissions were synqronized? (sp?) I could not shift that thing smooth unless I used the clutch. I always was banging into 2nd and could never find 4th at the right time. The ratio step was great but just never could shift them smooth?

I had one too that lost the countergear thrust washer and ate the case. I replaced it with a small nine speed direct and it was a world of difference with three wrecks on.

Rob

Spicer at one time made a heavy duty 6 speed and I have seen plenty in front of a 4 speed aux for a 6x4 setup. TTC (Spicer) still makes a heavy 6 speed that can take 1400 ft/lbs, they also make the heavy 2 and 4 speed aux boxes too. Eaton also made up until recently a heavy duty 7 speed as well.

Rowdy...

Those synchro boxes are annoying. Drove an IH rental with a 6 speed and if you woud it up to the gorvenor it would shift without the clutch, if you were lucky. Our GMC has a 4 speed synchro and when I first drove it all the synchros were already burnt out which made it shift nice and smooth. Then when it was rebuilt and synchros replaced is a pain to shift, wish the mechanic left the synchros alone lol.I fell bad for the Europeans, that all they have over there, synchro boxes.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Rowdy...

That was before I got my CDL and started driving bigger trucks. I had always used the clutch in my pickup, so its what I used to. Shifted just fine for me with the clutch. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!