How Many Have Detroits In Their Mack?

The 6-73 is my favorite Mack engine, but I'm also a big Detroit fan from way back. I used to ride with a friend of mine that had a '70 R-700 that had an 8-71 (318) with a "Quad Box". That truck had twin stacks with little short mufflers and sure sounded sweet. I remember only knowing of 1 B-Model with a Detroit. It had a 6-71, but believe it was put in and not original, as I don't believe any B's had Detroits from the factory. For the farm tractor fans out there, I have a John Deere with a 2-53 Detroit. Would be interested in hearing from other Detroit owners.

I like the sound of the detroits also. I also have seen the 318s in the R700s but never in a B model. We have an old pulverizer at work with a detroit for power its equipped with a straight stack. that thing screams when I drop a bucket of dirt in the hopper. there was a pic that i think barry posted of a V12 in a superliner or RS700.

Trent

i drove a R-700 with a 318 Q/box. we had 6 r-600's. 5 with 325 v-8 macks and the 1 with the 318. it was no match for the 325's but a lot funner to drive. we 'd load 30 ton s of aggregate on the trailers and that ol'detroit sure did work, not to say both of my arms. if you tried to skip a split that ol' v-8 jimmy would fall flat on her face but no better sound could have come out of those stacks. :SMOKIE-LFT::blink:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Hi, B61Bill -

I have a '69 R773ST with an 8V71, 13 speed Road Ranger. 44K camelback, 4.50 ratio, Kysor roof mount a/c, all original from the factory. It was used in the Long Island area to haul a sandbox. Here's a picture of the truck - restoration is in progress. The truck is real fun to drive if you have a kidney belt on :pat: (real short wheel base and it sounds great.

- Bob

I am restoring 1959 White Mustang 4264 that had a 477cu inch White gas engine new from the factory,and after running it for a few years,they found that when they were moving a large crane this engine would vapor lock and quit on them.

This company then had it repowered with a 6-71 GM diesel and ran it up into the 80s.It sat at their farm for 15 years and was sold to some one else.I bought it from him and have been restoring it for the last 10 yrs.This was the 2nd truck I ever rode in when I was 4 or 5 yrs old.6-71, 5C-72 Fuller,7231 aux.,SLDD Rockwells and Garwood winch.Of course,the first truck I rode in was a B-61 that was also repowered with a GM diesel,but was a 4-71 and had a R.O. crane on it.

Tim

The 6-73 is my favorite Mack engine, but I'm also a big Detroit fan from way back.  I used to ride with a friend of mine that had a '70 R-700 that had an 8-71 (318) with a "Quad Box".  That truck had twin stacks with little short mufflers and sure sounded sweet.  I remember only knowing of 1 B-Model with a Detroit.  It had a 6-71, but believe it was put in and not original, as I don't believe any B's had Detroits from the factory.  For the farm tractor fans out there, I have a John Deere with a 2-53 Detroit.  Would be interested in hearing from other Detroit owners.

Hello Bill,

here in the Netherlands is a restored B81 which has a 335? HP detroit in with an Allison automatic transmission. I'm not sure but what i heared is that the truck was refitted with the Detroit engine just after a couple of months when it was new.

It has always been used in the heavy haul.

Later the same company did order 5 DM 600 trucks with an V12 Detroit 500HP.

There is one restored and is still here in the Neteherlands. Boy do these trucks

sound nice when they drive by!

Can you get a pic of the dm600 with the v-12 ..and engine bay shot?... mumn...I just was about to by uty a 1971 brockway u360tl with a v-12, 13spd, 44 rockwells, and double frame from long island ny area..had the cash and had the lowbed from my old job ready to move it ..day before im supposed to get it the guys calls up and decides to keep it..argh....says to check back in a few months..I was pissed..considering i bought a complete used jake set with thetall covers for $750 fom out in portland oregan and had em shipped to ny cost $80 bucks to ship..ha..now its sitting in my basement looking pretty..maybe i can get the truck soon enough keep checking with the guy...

As for mack with detroits there was a b75 on the truck paper with a 8v71 in it for sale a couple of months ago it was a old highway or dot truck it was tractor and looked nice... I have 2 6v92 sitting here i've debated trying to put one in a b-81 thats near here or makeinga 12v92 out of them..i heard the 6v92 were a little better then the 8v92, ie more reliable less likely to break down or get water in the oil etc, any body have any info have info?..

thanks

deo

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Keep on keeping on...

Interesting stories and pictures.  Appreciate all the replies.  Any others out there?  Mack or non-Mack?

Bill,where did you see the B model with the Detriot in it?The one I mentioned the last time I seen it was at the football stadium in Vermillion,SD when the stadium was being built.It had a 4-71 and by then had a dump bed on it but the driver lost the bed off of it and it was just sitting up there-don't know if it made it back to Kansas City or not.Just curious.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Had some extra time last night to check out some trucks for sale over at Truckpaper. I found a '73 R Model that has an 8V-71 with a 13-Speed and two trucks with 12V-71's. One is in a GMC General and the other in a Kenworth W Model. In my opinion 12-71's still in trucks are getting pretty hard to find nowadays.

Continental Baking bought a couple hundred F model Mack Westerns in the mid 60s with 8V-71s, probably a few still around. Back around 1980 I remember seeing at least a dozen new Cruiseliner (W series) cabovers at the Oklahoma City Mack dealer. They had Detroit 6V-92T power with tandem axles and a heavy front axle with super singles on the front. They were in Haliburton colors so I suspect they were going to be fitted out with oil field service bodies. Back about '96 I saw similar trucks out the window of the Empire Builder as we passed Haliburton's Williston, North Dakota yard. Was out there last summer on the motorcycle and found the yard nearly empty, only Haliburton vehicles I saw were SUVs with guys in white shirts driving...

• 2 weeks later...

In '84,there was a '57 B61 from Toledo,Iowa at the Walcott Truckers Jamboree that had a 8V92T in it.It was also Tractor of the Month in Overdrive in that same time period,'83 -'84.A year or so back,the same truck was for sale on one of the Truck Trader sites,but was in Kentucky.

Superdog, In my search for restoration sites on old Macks I found your comments on old Macks with Detroits in them and particularly the B61 with the 8v92 in it. I bought the truck you spoke of about four years ago from a guy out of Bend,Oregon. He had owned it for a long time and just kept it in his garage. He did not build it and said he got it from Califorinia,I tried to find who built it but had no luck there.I MISTAKENLY!!!! thought I wanted to sell or trade it about a year ago to get a live floor trailer for my business but luckly I didn't since I had looked to buy or build a B61 forever.I have recently started to disassemble it and have the paint stripped to the metal,taking everything apart.It still has the 8v92 with a 13 speed,and airride suspension.It appears to have been put togeather over 20 years ago and lots of things have changed and/or improved in that time.I will be looking and listening for ways to improve this old B61 as we get further into it.I plan to eventually use it to pull a 35/50 ton detach to move equipment I use in disaster recovery work. All information and suggestions on inprovement in any asspect of rebuilding this truck by any knowledgeable sources out there will be greatly appreciated by myself and my guys working on the truck. As for now I must head back to the Florida Keys to finish my work with Wilma to try and make enough to pay for all of it. I will be back on line to ask some questions I have once I get down there where my laptop is. Hope to hear from other B61 folks soon. Best regards, Flashy Mack :SMOKIE-RT:

Hi Guys. Detroits are a reliable tough engine but all I remember about those Acars, Diamond Reos and Fords powered by them was having a sore right arm and left leg from shifting all day. Real snappy empty but with a load .... maybe I'm just getting old and lazy. Ever see one run backwards? When I was younger and dumber I'd stall a crane powered by a 671 and it would run backwards. I don't think my boss would have liked that. How about a runaway Detroit? We had dewatering pumps with 4-71's or 53's that ran full throttle all the time. When they'd occasionally run out of fuel the rack would stick wide open and after priming and restarting look out! All you could do was pull the emergency stop and run! Never did see one come apart though.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

The 6-73 is my favorite Mack engine, but I'm also a big Detroit fan from way back. I used to ride with a friend of mine that had a '70 R-700 that had an 8-71 (318) with a "Quad Box". That truck had twin stacks with little short mufflers and sure sounded sweet. I remember only knowing of 1 B-Model with a Detroit. It had a 6-71, but believe it was put in and not original, as I don't believe any B's had Detroits from the factory. For the farm tractor fans out there, I have a John Deere with a 2-53 Detroit. Would be interested in hearing from other Detroit owners.

Toronto Mack ,which was the last factory branch store to close, had 4 or 5 CL700's with Detroits in them for sale in 96,when I bought my CH.They must have been a special order that went bad as they were all identical ,maybe they got stuck with them because they were a company store.I only ever saw 1 of them on the road around here ,don't know where the others went.

Pete

every now and then I see a ch or cl with a detroit series 60 in them for sale in the canadian ads from truck trader..I wonder if some were from the store in toronto?..,mummn for the gentleman with the 8v92 in a b61..let us know how it runs?..I am kinda leaning that direction with my truck..for a repowered b81sx..

Thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...