Any Info On Mr / Mf Tunnel Wrecker?

This was in a parade in Staten Island. It is a N.Y / N.J Transite Authority Tunnel Wrecker. Couldn't get near enough to find any info on these other than it's a Century wrecker body and it's on a 96 or 98 inch wheel base. Anybody know about these? Paul

post-3242-037103700 1282184109_thumb.jpg

post-3242-054330700 1282184123_thumb.jpg

post-3242-072919200 1282184134_thumb.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

41chevy:

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel that connects the Delmarva peninsula to the Norfolk, VA

area has a similar Mack wrecker stationed at the rest area on the bridge. I crossed the bridge

in 2008 and it was there; it was parked in a garage so I couldn't get a picture of it. It's a combination wrecker/fire truck.

bulldogboy

Edited by bulldogboy

Weld built body company (wyandanch L.I.N.Y) has built a lot of these for the PATH (post authority NJ/NY) made compact so they can be operated in really confined spaces tunnels,bridges,one way streets etc. the ones weld built makes are called "tunnel sentrys' and can be ordered with many options,standard equipment consists of a 98" wheelbase, 40,000lb retractable boom,80,000lb tow rating. in the 70's 3 of the first ones built went to the baltimore harbor tunnel authority,at a cost of $133,000 each! NY/NJ were so impresssed they ordered 20! these were all mack powered,with an allison automatic trans.for ease of operation/mobility really unique trucks! made to be able to turn around in a single 11'wide lane if neeeded,the white one like in your pictures are driven by specially trained police/firemen....the yellow and red ones are civillian drivers.....hope that sheds a little light on the subject!..........Mark WWW.weldbuilt.com for more info

post-5836-011802800 1282186195_thumb.jpg

post-5836-060058300 1282186206_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

41chevy:

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel that connects the Delmarva peninsula to the Norfolk, VA

area has a similar Mack wrecker stationed at the rest area on the bridge. I crossed the bridge

in 2008 and it was there; it was parked in a garage so I couldn't get a picture of it. It's a combination wrecker/fire truck.

bulldogboy

It was there, (or one like it) in the mid 1980's when I was in the NAVY also. The Hampton Roads Bay Bridge Tunnel also had one stationed in the center of the span. The Chesapeake, (sp) had a short wrecker also but not one of these. I don't know what it was as only seen it once when moving at speed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the info. Welbilt is about 25 miles from me. Sure like one for my business, theres a lot of places I can't get into with my DM unit. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Glad to see it, I wonder where it went.?. Weldbilt gave me some info on the Tunnel wreckers, including the non hydralic / non fire fighting units. The NY/NJ units had a foam unit ,Scotpacs and external plug in for breathing air. Here is a photo from Weldbilt for they thought was a Chesapeake unit. Paul

[

post-3242-003995900 1282437074_thumb.jpg

post-3242-015788900 1282437093_thumb.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

Glad to see it, I wonder where it went.?. Weldbilt gave me some info on the Tunnel wreckers, including the non hydralic / non fire fighting units. The NY/NJ units had a foam unit ,Scotpacs and external plug in for breathing air. Here is a photo from Weldbilt for they thought was a Chesapeake unit. Paul

[

Did'nt know any of them used an international chassis,the ones at the baltimore harbor tunnel are freightliners,REALLY short wheelbase! looks like you could stand on the drive tire to climb in the cab! don't know if i'd want to try and make a "U" turn with that B-model! look like a handfull!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

[

The one I seen at the Chesapeake tunnel was not a cabover chassis. Too long as I can't remember the color but think I would if it were orange as the photo.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

hello mack frends.

yes. i bought the b model.

it`s now in the netherlands wayting to be restorerd.

i wqanted to start at it this summer but i`m working on a trailer right now so i don`t have the time for it.

i found a picture of the B with the collors from the first owner.

when i start to restore it i wil put some pictures here on the site.

i think i wil need some help of you people to find some parts and info for the mack B 61.

mack4ever. leon.

Firefighting capabilities were varied, most of these units had a nitrogen charge-powered 150 pound dry chemcial system which was either monoammonium phosphate (ABC powder) or Potassium Bicarbinate (Purple-K.) Some trucks had small water tanks (100 gallons) powered by compressed air from the on-board system. The dry chemical units were more effective though, as they could store a larger "punch" of agent on board the small vehicle rather than an equal amount of water which would have needed a bigger space.

A previous poster also mentioned having an on-board breathing system which is also true. Car/Truck fires in the tunnels got rather nasty, so the driver did have the option of donning a SCOTT mask, and hooking into the on-board system, and then hooking into a self-contained unit when he got off the truck (to hook up chains, etc.)

Here is a pic of one I took at the Holland Tunnel, I want to say 15 years ago or more.

post-1729-077390500 1282480250_thumb.jpg

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Firefighting capabilities were varied, most of these units had a nitrogen charge-powered 150 pound dry chemcial system which was either monoammonium phosphate (ABC powder) or Potassium Bicarbinate (Purple-K.) Some trucks had small water tanks (100 gallons) powered by compressed air from the on-board system. The dry chemical units were more effective though, as they could store a larger "punch" of agent on board the small vehicle rather than an equal amount of water which would have needed a bigger space.

A previous poster also mentioned having an on-board breathing system which is also true. Car/Truck fires in the tunnels got rather nasty, so the driver did have the option of donning a SCOTT mask, and hooking into the on-board system, and then hooking into a self-contained unit when he got off the truck (to hook up chains, etc.)

Here is a pic of one I took at the Holland Tunnel, I want to say 15 years ago or more.

Is that a winch cable set up on the front push bumper?

Leon...Glad you bought the B . Are you doing it as a tractor or a wrecker/

P.T.CHESHIRE

Around 1983 I was crossing the Tappan Zee bridge going into New York city. The traffic caused me to stop an the steepest incline of the bridge. I was loaded heavy, pulling tandem flatbeds, maybe grossing 140K. My 5 speed R Model could not start the load on that grade. One of these wreckers came quickly to my assistance and gave me a push to help get me moving. Looking back I would not want to be in the cab of that wrecker so close to that load on a steep grade.

Around 1983 I was crossing the Tappan Zee bridge going into New York city. The traffic caused me to stop an the steepest incline of the bridge. I was loaded heavy, pulling tandem flatbeds, maybe grossing 140K. My 5 speed R Model could not start the load on that grade. One of these wreckers came quickly to my assistance and gave me a push to help get me moving. Looking back I would not want to be in the cab of that wrecker so close to that load on a steep grade.

I'm sure that different chassis were used at different times but when I crossed the Chesapeake Bay

Bridge/Tunnel in 1998 and again in 2008 the wrecker at the rest area was a Mack MR. Not sure if it was

the same one each time. In 2008 there was also a Ford F-550 wrecker outside the garage.