2003 427 Granite Failed Nj Smoke Test

Have a customer with 03 with 427 300k miles.N.J changed the law to 20% and he blew a 25%.Truck and engine in excellent condition.Just wondering what needs to be done to lower emmisions or does he have to take it to dealer to be reprogrammed.He's running stock no mods.Injectors were replaced about 50k ago.

Have a customer with 03 with 427 300k miles.N.J changed the law to 20% and he blew a 25%.Truck and engine in excellent condition.Just wondering what needs to be done to lower emmisions or does he have to take it to dealer to be reprogrammed.He's running stock no mods.Injectors were replaced about 50k ago.

If you have a VIN in the truck I can check to see how it's programmed. About this time frame Mack got real stingy about this information so its hard to tell what some of the files in it are, but I can check and see if it's been programmed before. There may be some changes in the software that improve certain emission characteristics, but you're probably right in taking it to a dealer to have it checked out. If there isn't anything mechanically wrong with the engine maybe Mack needs to come up with a new software fix.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The customer took the truck to a private shop and passed with an 18% i guess THE DOT"S meter was off or the tech that was conducting it.The private did the test three different times and the max was 19.2% The states was a 26% resulting in a 150$ ticket.

The customer took the truck to a private shop and passed with an 18% i guess THE DOT"S meter was off or the tech that was conducting it.The private did the test three different times and the max was 19.2% The states was a 26% resulting in a 150$ ticket.

Makes me wonder where the DOT performed the check. Maybe they intentionally skew the results knowing that the cost of retesting the engine privately, going to court to fight the ticket, and the lost time on the road will cost more than just paying the ticket. A gap that large is kind of suspicious to me

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

My 04 Fliner failed NJ 2 weeks ago on RT 78 I took it to my guy in that same day and he would not take the test because it was to humid an you will get a false pos. Also the trooper had my guy for 90 min. truck off then he tells him to start it up an he takes the test @ 140 on the temp guage truck has to be up to operating temp!! so any way I took it the next morning and it passed!!! SO I'm goin to fight it !!BULLHUSK

this state is out of control.Now they want all shops to buy new smoke test equipment and it has to be bought from the state.And the company that is supplying the equipment to the state to sell is also the idiots that made all the dynos that had to be installed in every garage in order to do state inspections but failed to realize after every garage had to take a second mortgage to have them installed that they couldn't be used on all wheel drives.Whos pockets are getting lined.

The smoke laws in NJ are total BS. As long as your truck meets emission specs for the year it was built, I say take 'em to court and fight every ticket. If you have an '03 how can your truck meet '07 specs? Even if the state wants to lower the opacity level, older trucks should be grandfathered.

• Like 1

The smoke laws in NJ are total BS. As long as your truck meets emission specs for the year it was built, I say take 'em to court and fight every ticket. If you have an '03 how can your truck meet '07 specs? Even if the state wants to lower the opacity level, older trucks should be grandfathered.

couldn't agree more. My buddy has a 96 rd with a 350 that failed it. They told him to get it fix. The problem is what are you going to fix?? It was never even made to even think about passing todays emissions. This is nothing but a money making scam for NJ. Something should be done about this. It is total BS.

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

couldn't agree more. My buddy has a 96 rd with a 350 that failed it. They told him to get it fix. The problem is what are you going to fix?? It was never even made to even think about passing todays emissions. This is nothing but a money making scam for NJ. Something should be done about this. It is total BS.

Thats one of the reasons i moved out of NJ, tired of the BS! lived there all my life up until 2 years ago.....between the asshole governor, taxes, high cost of living, highest car insurance rates in the country.......have you ever seen one of the mobile smoke test trucks? they all have the "grim reaper" painted on them! so that shows their serious about screwing somebody out of their hard earned money! now-adays trucking is hard enough, without this needless bullshit! jersey has become a joke the last few years, never thought i'd hear myself say that! but it's true....the sopranos quit the state,springsteen ,and now me too! LMAO!.......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 1 month later...

Feel bad for me because I still live here in South Jersey. I just brought my truck to a private place for the Smoke Test and it threw a 31. 97 Mack RD688S E7 350. Now they say I have to bring it back tomorrow so they can attempt to Detune the engine to try and get it to pass. My question is why didnt they grandfather the older trucks. They were never designed to pass the new standards. I have a few choice words for them, but I will refrain so I dont get out of hand. I have my reservations whether or not they are going to be able to get it to pass with my truck. I wish I could exempt myself as I signed up with the FMCSA to do my own Vehicle Inspections. Bunch of BULL!

I believe that we have a Govenor that will listen now that has already reeled in an out of control njdep. Write him a letter about how it is affecting your ability to earn a living. I did, and so far I feel that Christie might do something about it if he gets enough feedback.

Sometimes when I encounter a Cummins or Mercedes powered truck I do a "RollingTest" because that is the best way so see exactly what the true load smoke is, and 99 percent of the time they fall right into the Jersey spec without even trying. Much of the problem with the "snap Test" is the fact that some engines need more than the 10 seconds between snaps to stabilize

May the Peace that excels all thought be with you

I went to court yesterday to fight my smoke ticket,I was told by the prosecutor they are going by the troopers test an thats it!! even though i had two tests from different NJ certified garages. It don't make no difference if its raining,humid,truck temp. your screwed, your gona git a ticket an thats it!!! When you enter a NJ court room bring your check book because you have no wrights, just bring some K/Y gell to make it a little easier on your self BULLHUSK

Sorry about your outcome.

I gather the standards are set by the states? N.Y.S. specs are more liberal than N.J. The 2010 New Yorks standards for emissions failure go by model year. Failure of the opacity test for 1991 or Newer is greater than 40% , 1974-1990 greater than 55% and 1973 or Older greater than 70%

The NYS Police and the NYS Department of Transportation and various repair shops conduct heavy diesel inspections. If the vehicle fails the inspection by NYSPD or NYDOT, the driver can receive a summons and a fine of $700 for a first offense and $1300 for a second or subsequent offense. The driver can reduce the fine if the vehicle is repaired and passes a reinspection at a DMV-licensed facility within 30 days of the violation.

I recieved a emissions ticket at a NYDOT stop, had it retested at Gabrelli and the fine was waived.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE