Mid America Truck Show

Buried on the Mack web sight there is reference to a new econodyne engine and a rear axle

carrier. But the big news is reference to a new model**********! Could it be the revival of

the **********? We shall see. banana.gifsmile.gif

Burried where on the site?

My bad. It looks like new**********! stands for the new automated manual transmission MackmDrive. I thought it might be Superliner. Will have to wait for that I guess. New products look promising however I hope they don't turn into an additional electronics nightmere. Trucks are definately no longer keep it simple stupid. :)

Read that today. MmmmmmmmmDrive. Just a continuation of the dumbing down of America.

Todays "Truck driving School Graduates" have no idea about shifting. OR two sticks.

I can see application in some areas, but not all

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

The mDrive looks like a relabeled version of Volvo's iDrive automated manual transmission. An automated manual isn't all that bad an idea, provided the transmission being automated is something like the triple countershaft Maxitorque. But the mDrive is based on Volvo's single countershaft 12 speed. I've been around long enough to remember the bad old days of single countershaft transmissions that didn't make it half a million miles before needing rebuilding. These days it's routine for a Maxitorque to make it past a million miles before the case has to be opened up, and even Eaton's inferior product sometimes makes it to a million miles. Even with computers to protect it from the newby "steering wheel holders", I suspect the mDrive will have it's work cut out for it to make it to a half million miles. It's telling that Mack is only offering the mDrive in on highway Pinnacle models...

The new tandem rear axle is encouraging though- besides the improvements it shows that Volvo is committing to keeping Mack components around for another decade or so. Maybe Volvo management is finally listening to us? As for the new Econodyne engine variant, hard to tell if it's anything significant or just a new rating. They've also packaged the exhaust more neatly on the Granite so there won't be a foot or two of embarassing exposed daylight between the cab and box. BTW, Mack's recent PR noted that Mack is now the largest truck exporter in North America- perhaps Volvo salespeople around the world have figured out that there's no point in trying to sell a Mack customer a Volvo!

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

there was no volvo boot on the mats in louisville that was due of the economic crises.they are watching now the second hand market and thad was going up for the first time.so truck companys are investing again.furter it was not so busy in louisville like last year not inside and not outside so we all hope the economie is climbing out of that deep hole greetings rene

The new tandem rear axle is encouraging though- besides the improvements it shows that Volvo is committing to keeping Mack components around for another decade or so. Maybe Volvo management is finally listening to us? As for the new Econodyne engine variant, hard to tell if it's anything significant or just a new rating. They've also packaged the exhaust more neatly on the Granite so there won't be a foot or two of embarassing exposed daylight between the cab and box. BTW, Mack's recent PR noted that Mack is now the largest truck exporter in North America- perhaps Volvo salespeople around the world have figured out that there's no point in trying to sell a Mack customer a Volvo!

Today we were ordering/specing out a new CHU 505HP MP8 with SCR, the new Mack rears were a $5000+ option over the Rockwell rears. While I hate dealing with Meritor/Rockwell or Eaton warranty, I could not convence the customer to go with the new Mack rears. I didnt get a chance to check the weight savings of the new Mack rears.

It's disappointing to see Mack Trucks, once legendary for its own proprietary drivetrain engineering, deceptively announcing their new "mDrive" AMT as a Mack-designed product, when in fact it is none other than a Volvo I-Shift 12-speed AMT transmission.

The fact is, Mack engineers wanted to design an AMT version of Mack's signature triple-countershaft Maxitorque ES 300 transmission, but Volvo said no. This decision continues a trend of Mack engineering being snubbed by Volvo Group. Mack trucks now use Volvo truck chassis and Volvo D11, D13 and D16 6-cylinder engines (renamed MP7, MP8 and MP10 respectively).

With this latest development, I'm sure a great many Mack customers will agree that a truck with a Volvo engine, Volvo transmission and Volvo chassis isn't a Mack truck. Despite the remaining Mack-unique cab and hood, it's nothing more than a U.S. market Volvo heavy truck with a Mack emblem.

Under Volvo ownership, Mack's market share continues to fall. When will Volvo realize how badly they have mishandled Mack Trucks, and under a drastically new direction allow Mack to prosper once more?

• 3 months later...

kscarbel- why dont you have something positive to say for once about the Mack brand you obviously care and know so much about? You sounds like a broken record. Most of the changes you mention were largely engineered to some degree (sometimes almost completely) by Mack engineers in Allentown or Hagerstown. In the end, if it works well for the customer then who cares what country the idea started in? Let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Things change- companies get bought and sold all the time. There isn't a thing you or I can do about it other than continue to support the Mack we have today and hope that Mack engineers continue to make great and innovative products, along with preserving their great history.

Positivity goes a long way and is contagious!

BTW, ever driven a new mDRIVE? Don't knock it till you try it.

The mDrive looks like a relabeled version of Volvo's iDrive automated manual transmission. An automated manual isn't all that bad an idea, provided the transmission being automated is something like the triple countershaft Maxitorque. But the mDrive is based on Volvo's single countershaft 12 speed. I've been around long enough to remember the bad old days of single countershaft transmissions that didn't make it half a million miles before needing rebuilding. These days it's routine for a Maxitorque to make it past a million miles before the case has to be opened up, and even Eaton's inferior product sometimes makes it to a million miles. Even with computers to protect it from the newby "steering wheel holders", I suspect the mDrive will have it's work cut out for it to make it to a half million miles. It's telling that Mack is only offering the mDrive in on highway Pinnacle models...

I keep hearing the iShift is amazing and reliable. Supposedly the best AMT out there, better than ZF, Scania and Fuller. Its pretty compact and I believe lighter than an Allison. Plus it can be paired up with the MP10 (Volvo has it behind their 700HP 2323 ft/lb European D16). If it can stand up to that kind of power then I imagine it is pretty robust.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I keep hearing the iShift is amazing and reliable. Supposedly the best AMT out there, better than ZF, Scania and Fuller. Its pretty compact and I believe lighter than an Allison. Plus it can be paired up with the MP10 (Volvo has it behind their 700HP 2323 ft/lb European D16). If it can stand up to that kind of power then I imagine it is pretty robust.

There are four different versions of the I-Shift. They weigh between 597-610 lbs.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Good to see UPS back as a Mack customer! Back when I last temped at UPS during 2007 peak season in feeders the mechanics were saying that the next UPS tractor purchases would be automatics. I'd be more than happy with something reliable like an Allison, but I fear the single countershaft M-Drive isn't going to last a million plus miles. The UPS center I've temped at has plenty of Macks with over a million miles on their Maxitorques with no major repairs. I hope the M-Drive doesn't sour UPS on Mack; Hopefully the Eaton automatics they're speccing on their non Mack tractors will be even less reliable than the M-Drive.

Today we were ordering/specing out a new CHU 505HP MP8 with SCR, the new Mack rears were a $5000+ option over the Rockwell rears. While I hate dealing with Meritor/Rockwell or Eaton warranty, I could not convence the customer to go with the new Mack rears. I didnt get a chance to check the weight savings of the new Mack rears.

Were you specing them with both the interaxle power divider and the interwheel power divider? The new CR50/51 differentials have an air lock out for the interwheel power divider, much like the vendor differentials. I've heard that option was pretty high, but I'm not sure about the base cost on the differentials.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I'm sure the M-Drive will be a joy to drive- I've previously driven Postal Service Macks with Allison automatics and was quite impressed. But we have to remember that beneath the snazzy electronics this is a single countershaft synchronized transmission. The american trucking industry evolved away from that type of transmission in the 1960s for good reason- the twin and triple countershaft transmissions lasted twice as long. Synchromesh never really made it into class 8 trucks- the synchros wear out prematurely and it becomes a crash box anyhow. So while UPS and other customers will probably be happy with their M-Drives for the first couple hundred thousand miles, after a few rebuilds at half the mileage they'd expect from a Roadranger or Maxitorque they're not going to be happy campers, and they're going to blame Mack even though it's a Volvo transmission. In the long run, that's not good news for Mack...

You cant compare an automated manual to a Maxitorque or Roadranger. They are generally for different applications, i.e. a driver who uses a T300 usually wont be considering an AMT. The I-shift has been around for nearly ten years and improved since it's introduction I'm sure. There is plenty of data showing how it holds up compared to the competition. Mack knew exactly what they were asking for, and yes Mack people asked for it due to the many benefits. This decision wasnt forced by Sweden I feel very confident in saying.

I doubt very much volvo has a U.S. speced truck that has covered a million miles,musless a trans.i am not a fan of "automatic" trans. in a truck regardless of manufacturer, i am sure they serve some well in specific applications, but they are hard on the driveline,heavy, problematic,(overheating etc.) look at the newer "fleet" trucks with automatics, the ATA did a study recently, that shows an increase in heavy truck accidents eqiuipped with automatics, granted, driver error/inexpierence is a factor, but there is still something to be said for the ability to shift your own gears, do your own thinking!......just my 2 cents.......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Considering the warranty alone is good for 500k+ and the design life is over a million miles for highway use, yes. They could probably show you several thousand.

How it would fare off road I don't know, but then that why it isnt offered in a Granite, just the Pinnacle models. Buy a T300 in that case.