What's A Old B-model Worth For Parting Out

Hello Guys, Yesterday as i was working on my old R-400 i remebered a fellow down the road from me that has several old non-functional b-models on his property. If i was to tow these hulks home are they worth "parting out"?. I know they are pretty much complete but have not run for years, one i remeber is a tractor and one is a dumper and im sure he has loads of B-model parts, he is quite old and no longer in the excavating business, Kinda just wondering if it's worth the trouble to get in old part retailing. Any views on this?. thanx for the input. E.S.D. :idunno:

E. S. D. just because these trucks have been setting for a long time they may still run. I bought three B-Models once that had been setting outside for over twenty years, Nd after just a little work they all 3 ran. If they are for the most part complete,and not stuck I would get them and try to get them running, then depending on how much work you want to do from there you can sell them as a running truck, and save from the scrapmans torch. Block

I agree 110% with Block.Way too many B models have died needless deaths already.Just because you don't consider it worthwhile to restore ,doesn't mean it wouldn't be the dream truck of someone else.And just because something is rusty,doesn't mean it should be thrown out either,I've seen perfectly savable cabs,doors,fenders,etc. tossed because they had rust problems.B models were made of real steel.A rusty cab can be repaired,try putting one back together after it's been thru the shredder.They aren't making any more,guys,part them out and they are gone forever.I know I've said this time and time again,but until there is no more scrapping and parting out of old Macks,I'll keep preaching.Tell me,is this how a once proud and complete B model should end up??

Hello Guys, Yesterday as i was working on my old R-400 i remebered a fellow down the road from me that has several old non-functional b-models on his property. If i was to tow these hulks home are they worth "parting out"?. I know they are pretty much complete but have not run for years, one i remeber is a tractor and one is a dumper and im sure he has loads of B-model parts, he is quite old and no longer in the excavating business, Kinda just wondering if it's worth the trouble to get in old part retailing. Any views on this?. thanx for the input. E.S.D. :idunno:

what part of new york state are you from empire state dog? jj.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Good Morning, Now Superdog, I am not advocating the scrap business which makes these old dogs into Toyota's and Nissan's but like i said they have been sitting for at least 20+ years that i know of and they are way to far gone for me to restore. I understand what your saying, My old Mack is from a out of business lumber yard and was sitting 16 years and it started and ran perfect. You guys missed my point. All i was saying are they worth bringing home to sell complete OR to part out. I prob should have made my statement a little clearer. sorry, my mistake. I will see what he wants for them and any loose parts he has and find out the model numbers and full conditions of the units in question. I will go today and find out.

I'll let you guys know later in the week. Thanks E.S.D. :bulldog1:

what part of new york state are you from empire state dog? jj.

Twostickmutt, Im in the Lake George region of N.Y. State, about 70 miles from Albany.

post-61-1152464137.jpgThat's the point I was trying to get across,ESD.You say they are too far gone for you to restore,but that doesn't mean they are too far gone for someone else.And who has to say they need to be restored.What's wrong with saving them and leaving them as is?I and many other appreciate the "as found" ones just as much as the 100 point full restorations.I've got quite a few "too far gone" B models happily resting in one piece in my back lot,safe from ever been scrapped or parted out into none existance.

What some of you don't realize,the B model Mack isn't just a truck.Each one has it's own personality and charm,no matter what condition it's in.The B model was the hardest working,most dependable and versaltile,and by far the best looking truck ever made.The B model is a legend and deserves our respect.

So by all means try to save these trucks,find them a good home,be it in your yard or someone elses,but don't drag them home just to make parts out of them.

Good Morning,

Here's the deal on those B-model's I found, The first is a 1961 b-61 with a quad baox and 44 camelback rears, is has a air starter and does run and drive, the doors and fenders are pretty rotted but cab is about 80% ok. The second is also a b-61 diesel he was not sure of year but it's overgrown with brush and trees and full of wasps and he did not want to go and look.the first one is a long frame and the second is a tractor.

the second he said the engine is no good and is missing some parts. The first one was a dump truck at one time and he did have it running last year. The second one has not moved in 30 years. I dont have pics as i do not own a dig camera or have a photo program on this computer. He told me he would let the pair go for "$7000.00 or there about's". He however did not want his phone number on here as over the years he has had alot of tire kickers bugging him and told me to refer only serious buyers from B.M.T.. If anybody is interested and has cash for these old B-models, let me know and i'll have him call you. There's the scoop.

E.S.D :)

Good Morning,

Here's the deal on those B-model's I found, The first is a 1961 b-61 with a quad baox and 44 camelback rears, is has a air starter and does run and drive, the doors and fenders are pretty rotted but cab is about 80% ok. The second is also a b-61 diesel he was not sure of year but it's overgrown with brush and trees and full of wasps and he did not want to go and look.the first one is a long frame and the second is a tractor.

the second he said the engine is no good and is missing some parts. The first one was a dump truck at one time and he did have it running last year. The second one has not moved in 30 years. I dont have pics as i do not own a dig camera or have a photo program on this computer. He told me he would let the pair go for "$7000.00 or there about's". He however did not want his phone number on here as over the years he has had alot of tire kickers bugging him and told me to refer only serious buyers from B.M.T.. If anybody is interested and has cash for these old B-models, let me know and i'll have him call you. There's the scoop.

E.S.D :)

I may be a little "off base" here, but I don't think you would obtain anywhere near $7000.00 in usable parts sales from these two trucks.

The trucks as you describe are for "parts only" and if a guy needed them, $1500.00 for the pair sounds about a fair price to pay, given the benefit of doubt.

I'm like you, I don't sell anything, but I buy to use parts for my own restorations, and I feel someone is "off their rocker" with that kind of asking price, but that is only "in my opinion".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Rob, I kinda tend to agree with you but I'm just letting the guys in here know about them, don't kill the messenger. lol :idunno:

Hey ESD, believe me, no harm as I, along will all others appreciate someone taking the time for the research. It's guys like you, me, and several others that make this hobby great. Shame some just see profit potential.

Thanks for your help, and time!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Rob, I kinda tend to agree with you but I'm just letting the guys in here know about them, don't kill the messenger. lol :idunno:

I get your point clearly. We all take things apart and some times never getr around to putting things back or find more issues we wish to tackel. $7000 does sound steep so I would pass IMO and find a better price and condition.

Superdog. Im a little confused. Explain to us how you are one to preach the do not scrap or take apart motto, yet your a scrap dealer?

Its also funny that you only show the same pics of the truck parts I sold you "dirt cheep" from 3 years ago, in an attempt to get a rise out of me. :lol: I think most here would agree I did the right thing by dismanteling a truck with cracked rails and sold, traded and gave away everything except the rear springs and truninon. wich I did attempt to give away Free. Im gunna guess you eye color is brown from all the BS attempts to rub my name,trucks and character in the dirt. Feel free to keep trying, but it wont work,People are catching on to you my friend, Be carefull with your words.

A for effort :thumb:

Trent Blasco

Well,Trent,I went back and re-read my post 3 times,didn't see once where I mentioned your name or who I bought the $100 worth of butcherd parts that I paid you $350 for,plus 100 gal of diesel it took to get them home.

As far as me being a scrap dealer,don't hardly qualify what I do as being a scrap dealer.I pick up old farm junk,appliances,and cars in the little spare time I have when not trucking.Never scrapped a Mack truck,never will.And like I said in an earlier post,if I have to take a part off a B in my back lot,I replace it so the truck can still be whole as possible,and not turned into a pile of dismantled parts,like the trailer loads of parts that I've bought from others that don't share my point of view.

As far as my preaching,if it saves one B model,it's worth it to me.If it offends someone,so be it.I'd rather offend a person than harm a Mack.

Maybe someday,after you've driven your B model more than 10 miles,you might just understand why I and so many others feel so strongly toward our B's.

So go watch Convoy again,then jump in that Cat powered Binder you drive and think up some more good ones.

Well Mike. It dosent take 3 times to Re-read your post to figure the point you are trying to make about me? Its the same pics of my parts i sold you and the same subject that just somehow comes back to me. I also have never scrapped out a truck but for some reason you think all I do is hold a torch to them. I have used a torch to do to things on a truck. 1) cut the bad cracked rails of my first B model and 2) to remove some butched welds or metal that needed to be replaced, Period. I do recall you offering to sell me some parts from your collection and I can only assume those parts would not have been replaced or would they??? Or is it proper to say you can sell B model parts but others cant?? The part you all ways fall short on is that both of us, and I use "US" as a term as truck fans, have a passion for old trucks yet you continue to take stabs at me, as well as others inside the clubs that share our same intrests. Im not shure as you have been around these clubs longer than I but, is there really room for this unessasary taunting behavior. I think you got everyones full attention from us Mike, We are fully aware that you like to save old trucks, just like all of us do here.

I can only wait to drive the old B farther than around the yard Mike, again its the same reason you and others take yours to the show. The Cat powered binder at work is doing just fine sence you care to know. Is not a Mack but again I dont own it. :bulldog1:

just might pop in that Convoy vid tonight, thanks for the idea :thumb:

Trent

Take 'er easy guys...everyone is entitled to their opinions! After all, we are all here for the same reason...the love of old iron. Ten different people may see a topic 10 different ways. That's what makes these forums interesting! I just don't want anything esculating into flaming.

Good job keeping your discussions civil, but I just wanted to stick my nose in before anything gets outta hand. :thumb:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK