Stupid Snow

other dog

I'm surprise ya don't use Baldwin filters on your Mack like most people use Baldwin filters on everything else or Fleetguard. Actually I got a 350 Summit crate motor in my truck.

Only Baldwin filter on my Mack is on the hydraulic return line...don't think Mack makes a hydraulic filter.

Like I said, I use OEM filters whenever possible...ESPECIALLY if there is a warranty on the vehicle. My Fords even get the Motorcraft brand oil...same cost as any other reasonable option, so why not? Especially if there is a warranty. Otherwise, Ford would blame Pennzoil saying it didn't adequately lubricate the engine....Pennzoil would blame Fram saying it was inadequate filtration....and Fram would pass the buck to Ford claiming a manufacturing defect and NOBODY would want to pay for the repairs. This way, it's a Ford engine, Motorcraft (Ford) oil filter, and Motorcraft (Ford) oil. I don't care which branch of your company pays the bill, work it out amongst yourselves and fix my damned engine.

I even tried the Bulldog (Mack) brand oil on one oil change. I could only get it by the gallon jug (I prefer 5 gallon buckets) and there was ONLY one place to get it. Not even all of the Mack dealers carry it. So, I ended up back at Rotella...them 5 gallon buckets are available dang near anywhere...Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply Co, Rural King, Bucheits, Orschelens, etc... When I get my shop built, I'll be able to get a 55 gallon drum (and have a place to keep it), as even the 55 gallon barrels are in stock. Brand loyalty ends when I have to make a special trip 40 miles one way to town just to get to the only place that carries the product in the brand name I'm looking for.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of oil filters, I've had a bad experience with a NAPA filter.

Put one on my old Plymouth minivan, and evidently the check valve in the filter was inoperative or missing.

Every time I started the engine, it would be without oil pressure for at least 5 seconds, while knocking from lack of lube.

Took off that POS NAPA filter and went back to the Fram that I always used the rest of the time I've owned the vehicle, and end of problem.

I usually ran Mack filters on all my Macks when I was in business, unless I needed a filter quick, then I'd just run to town and grab a generic filter to get by.

Where I work now, we run CAT filters on all the equipment and Cat truck motors, Fleetguard on the Cummins & IH DT466 motors, and Hastings filters on the small stuff.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Speaking of oil filters, I've had a bad experience with a NAPA filter.

Put one on my old Plymouth minivan, and evidently the check valve in the filter was inoperative or missing.

Every time I started the engine, it would be without oil pressure for at least 5 seconds, while knocking from lack of lube.

Took off that POS NAPA filter and went back to the Fram that I always used the rest of the time I've owned the vehicle, and end of problem.

I usually ran Mack filters on all my Macks when I was in business, unless I needed a filter quick, then I'd just run to town and grab a generic filter to get by.

Where I work now, we run CAT filters on all the equipment and Cat truck motors, Fleetguard on the Cummins & IH DT466 motors, and Hastings filters on the small stuff.

There are really only four major filter manufacturers around any longer; Wix, Hastings, Purolator, (I heard they have been sold), and FRAM. In my opinion all are on equal par if the filter level of quality is evaluated. All manufacturers have different levels of quality to fit the appropriate market segment. I typically run an engine manufactures' filter on their engine for much the same reason Rowdy mentioned. Personally I've never had a filter come apart but have seen it happen. One is particular was a Baldwin, (Hastings) the the crimp was defective holding the shell to the baseplate. This wasted a Cat engine and after being sued, they installed a fresh reman engine to replace the original. I've seen the same on Wix branded, Purolator branded, AC branded, and a couple others. Purolator manufactured AC filters for several years as a side note. Defects can happen to anyone's brand.

I've seen for years in parts stores cut open filter assemblies on display. Usually comparing Fram, AC, etc. to a not so available brand name like WIX, Hastings, Baldwin etc. From what I've seen they are not filters of the same level of quality. It is like grabbing a FRAM filter from Wal-Mart, (aimed at the home "do it yourselfer") and comparing it to a much higher quality constructed filter such as offered for a diesel engine for use in a professional shop with a reputation to be of concern.

On my personal vehicles I use Carquest branded filters manufactured by Wix. These are the same filters branded NAPA, and a few other private brands. I've used FRAM a lot myself without any problems through the years, but I buy them by the case and they're always on my shelf. Just a matter of convienience.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most all my stuff uses FL1A (all Fords), but the Mack gets NAPA stuff since I get discount prices. Only one change a year, so not a lot of money spent on it.

Bad thing is they don't offer a HP1 anymore, so did run a Fram last couple years on race car. No problems, though I do crank on it til I get oil pressure before I give it ignition power.

Heard plenty of problems with blown up filters, lucky not me.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've that with FRAM as well but I think there is more to the story than people are saying ya know. Maybe the reason the oil filter blew up or collapsed was because of their stupidity or mistake and wanted to make FRAM look bad ya know. I've always used Fram and never had a problem.

Most all my stuff uses FL1A (all Fords), but the Mack gets NAPA stuff since I get discount prices. Only one change a year, so not a lot of money spent on it.

Bad thing is they don't offer a HP1 anymore, so did run a Fram last couple years on race car. No problems, though I do crank on it til I get oil pressure before I give it ignition power.

Hey Larry....Back in November when changing oil for the first time in my B I went to the NAPA center and priced a filter. The sales person had to order it from Memphis and took 2 days to get it. When I called on that friday to pick it up they did not have it yet but was told it would be in the next day which was saturday. So on saturday I just took off for the NAPA store. On arriving I asked for my sales person which they told me he was not in. So they looked up the filter and it was there and brought it out to the counter for me. They told me it would be $52.00 and I said no it won't. The person that quoted me the price said it would be $35.00. It was an intense few minutes because they brought out the manager inwhich I had to explain what I was quoted. And again I waited another few minutes to see if they were going to sell it to me or not.

To make a longer story short, I have a $35.00 dollar filter and will never again get a filter for near that price........and I recently found out that the saleperson no longer works for NAPA.

JUST MY USUAL LUCK!!!!!

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed something strange last time I changed the oil in the BroncWorth;I used Rotella and a FRAM filter,and fired it up. After running it for about 5 minutes while I put things away and emptied the drain pan,I looked in at the gauge and saw about 15 pounds of oil pressure. That seemed kinda low to me compared to before the oil change,so I took the bike and got a Motorcraft filter and put it on. Now the oil pressure is more than double what it was with the FRAM. Don't know if it was just a fluke or what,but I have to agree about going with OEM filters at the very least,and I too have preferred WIX when possible. Up here,Wix seems to be the County's best kept secret-nobody can(or WILL) tell me where to get 'em around here.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>