Did Not Know They Were So Heavy

been running heacy triaxles and enddumps for the last 15 or so years. mack all the way. the only way i would go. weight did'nt matter because i was in the heavy zone or overweight. just traded for a 2004 cx613 vision. only had 300,000 miles, 460 13 speed, 370 gears. got it cleaned up and fell in love with it. new shiny wheels, new shiny full fenders, buffed and waxed she's a real beauty. bought me a spreadaxle flat. went and hauled my first load today. it was really light, about 15,000 pounds. after i unloaded, i stopped by Pilot just to check my empty weight. with half full tanks, no headache rack, no tools just basic chains, straps and tarps, weighed 32,000 pounds. by the time that i get a headache rack, full tanks, some hand tools and basic necessities, i'm looking at around 34,000 - 35,000 pounds. i really like this little truck but the weight is killing me. are the newer 2006 - 2009 any lighter? anybody got any advise for a dumb old dumptrucker? thanks for your time.

Other dog say it ain't so. Did you say peterbilt! Oh well better than V%*&o

That's at the time of trip departure. At arrival from the dead head trip, the Pete weighs bout 2/3rd's starting weight due to fuel burn and parts falling off of it.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

At 34000# you can still net 23 ton payload. But you will need to learn where to center the load to axle out. That won't take long with a little trial and error. Our 3 axle RD rolloffs with 58k rears, double frame and empty 30 yard box weigh 34000#. That's heavy!

That's at the time of trip departure. At arrival from the dead head trip, the Pete weighs bout 2/3rd's starting weight due to fuel burn and parts falling off of it.......

Rob

we have a fleet of pickups that follow us everywhere to pick up all the parts that fall off-there's a pretty big fine for littering these days.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

we have a fleet of pickups that follow us everywhere to pick up all the parts that fall off-there's a pretty big fine for littering these days.

From a strictly business standpoint I ask the question: Does the total sumation of wages, benefits, wear and tear, and incidental expenditures operating this "fleet" outweigh the cost of absorbing the fines for littering the public thruways? Surmising that it is less expensive to the "bottom line" to pay these employees, leads me to the following analysis and conclusion: If you were to replace that Pete with a truck of "higher standards", (such as Mack) your profits would be of astronomical proportions when compared to todays' operations.

"Momma" even agrees.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

unhooked today truck weight 19,500 still gota add a cab protecter trucks a little chuby,but the trailmobile combo is gona have to go. im thinking a raven or east all aluminum might get me down to about 32,000 ? maybe? i would like to be able to haul 48,000. soon as my 8 year old nephew gets time to show me how to put a picture on here ill show it off.

unhooked today truck weight 19,500 still gota add a cab protecter trucks a little chuby,but the trailmobile combo is gona have to go. im thinking a raven or east all aluminum might get me down to about 32,000 ? maybe? i would like to be able to haul 48,000. soon as my 8 year old nephew gets time to show me how to put a picture on here ill show it off.

Find a good Ravens and you'll be close to 30,000. I've owned a couple of them and pulled many other brands, but the Ravens are the best in my opinion. My current trailer is a 45'x 96" spread with duel tool boxes, 15" cross-members, and a lift-axle and weighs in at a feathery 8,300 lbs. Put a 52,000 pound coil in the middle of it and it still had some arch left! Too bad they got bought out by Fontaine who then pissed away all the great design knowledge that Ravens built up over the years.

Find a good Ravens and you'll be close to 30,000. I've owned a couple of them and pulled many other brands, but the Ravens are the best in my opinion. My current trailer is a 45'x 96" spread with duel tool boxes, 15" cross-members, and a lift-axle and weighs in at a feathery 8,300 lbs. Put a 52,000 pound coil in the middle of it and it still had some arch left! Too bad they got bought out by Fontaine who then pissed away all the great design knowledge that Ravens built up over the years.

I agree, I was pulling an aluminum Ravens before Jeff bought the Fontaine i'm pulling now and a Ravens is hard to beat.

Macks are fairly heavy, relative to other brands similarly equipped.

I'm at 17,400 with mine...day cab, single 120 gal tank and 65 gal wet kit(2/3 full) 18sp, 12/40 axles. All Mack components though, I think that's the clincher weight-wise.

It's funny though. You're ditching the dump bucket for the flatbed. Around here the flatbed guys (mainly steel haulers) are swapping their skateboards for dump buckets and buying cards. It's getting to be standing room only nowadays...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

It's funny though. You're ditching the dump bucket for the flatbed. Around here the flatbed guys (mainly steel haulers) are swapping their skateboards for dump buckets and buying cards. It's getting to be standing room only nowadays...

I hear you there. Definitely slim pickens for flat-bed steel haulers. Many of the steel centers around here have their own company trucks so guess who's the odd man out.

around here most dump trucking is going to minority companies and im not a minority so gotta find something else. i think im gona like the cushy ride and quiet cab and a little time away from the old ball and chain

around here most dump trucking is going to minority companies and im not a minority so gotta find something else. i think im gona like the cushy ride and quiet cab and a little time away from the old ball and chain

Just put the truck in your wife or daughter's name. There are quite a few who've pulled that off.

I pull a short dump most of the time, although I've been hooked to a flatbed for the past two days hauling barriers off the highway. The truck looks good hooked to the 'skateboard'.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

My '09 Pinnacle with full tanks weighs a hair over 18,500, twin 120 tanks, MP8, auto shift, 56" flat top sleeper, polished alu. wheels, tanks, bat. boxes, etc.. We haul containers and weight is always an issue, my tractor with a 53' EMHU Dom. container/chassis setup, 3/4 tanks typically weighs 34,300 to 34,500 empty and I can still legally run 45,000 lbs without a problem.

Just put the truck in your wife or daughter's name. There are quite a few who've pulled that off.

I pull a short dump most of the time, although I've been hooked to a flatbed for the past two days hauling barriers off the highway. The truck looks good hooked to the 'skateboard'.

you say you are pulling a fontain now, other dog, i would like to know what you like and dislike, i looked at a fontain revolution, lots of new technology, looks realy cool but dont know if it will work,i would rather see someone else brake one in half first. guess thats kind of selfish but i could not afford that right now.

you say you are pulling a fontain now, other dog, i would like to know what you like and dislike, i looked at a fontain revolution, lots of new technology, looks realy cool but dont know if it will work,i would rather see someone else brake one in half first. guess thats kind of selfish but i could not afford that right now.

I pull a 48' Fontaine Phantom spread axle. I've had a 48,000+lb. single coil in the middle of it and didn't break it in half. They order all the trailers with the coil package though. I like it fine, haven't had any problems with it.