King Pins

Tapered will fall out pretty easy...been there! Took longer to get the tools out then knock the pins out of my B.

Straight pins............well, if they are like my Ford trucks....get ready to work a few days!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi Tim, Remember what Dirty Harry said? "A man's got to know his limitations". Mine is getting too envolved with repairs that take too long and keep me from working my stuff to make money. So if I'm not sure of how to do a certain repair or if I need special tools or equipment to do it sometimes I bite the bullet and pay somebody who can so I can get back to work ASAP. Last time was last fall when the thru shaft went on the DM tandem dump. I was really busy working and still had the "B" to keep going so the $1,140 I paid Trenton Mack to fix it was worth it. Bob

PS: Maybe they're adjustable, the B model's front axle are and after 23 years have been adjusted once and greased alot. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

tim. like bob said, see if they are adjustable. you may just have to wind them down a little. you can tell by lookin' at the bottom of the king pin. remember the ol' "sugar shack". i thought i had a bad one and was ready to change it and found out they were adjustable. a whole lot easier. j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

tim. like bob said, see if they are adjustable. you may just have to wind them down a little. you can tell by lookin' at the bottom of the king pin. remember the ol' "sugar shack". i thought i had a bad one and was ready to change it and found out they were adjustable. a whole lot easier. j.j.

Hey Bob and J.J., thanks I have looked at the adj. and cannot be tightened anymore. Today I take her out of winter storage and get things tip top. It was 70 degrees here yesterday...crazy but I'll take it and get to work, Tim

The adjustment is for the thrust button or thrust bearing for up and down play [ so that the axle is riding on the bearing instead of the spindle]. It Will Not take up play made by worn pins and or bushings.

Ti,

Ive done mine twice now, once cos the right hand stub axle broke and the other due to the accident.

remove the screwed bottom cap with the Mack tool or a peice of 1/4 steel welded to a handle, place a steel support directly under the stub axle forging, remove the grease cap from on top, place a neat peice of shaft on the top of the kingpin and give it one almighty f$cking smack with a sledge hamer, if you only tap it, it wont budge, and if you dont suport it, then the shock wont travel through.

the Mack king pin kit should comprise 2 kingpins and 4 sintered bearing shells.

nig :chili:

• 5 weeks later...