I bought a 1968 R608F

Virtual400

Is the serial number on the tag 1015?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

No it's serial number 1008. Finally got to talk with the chief of the fire department selling her. Sat for 7 years while they made up their mind to sell. The body, chrome, tires are in excellent condition but she doesn't run right now. Chief said she's got a stuck valve. Going to have to make shipping arrangements to bring her home.

does it have a real Mack engine? air brakes?orginal Mack body? I came close to buying a R model in N.J., was in a flood had a Scania engine, Howe body and some rust issues, should have got it , I know the fellow that bought it and it cleaned up nicely .

• 2 weeks later...

I also called about this truck ,was gonna bid ,,but then I seen a bunch of people run it up at the end and it was a lil outta my range ,and boy that chief likes to talk ,great guy to talk to,and Al thanks for the compliment on my R , took it to pump primers in Harrisburg and got first place for fastest water with it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-20888-0-33341500-1440261043_thumb.jSooooo... the truck arrived but on the way here something shook loose and the rear wheels would not turn. Caged the brakes but still no luck. We pulled the drive shaft and carefully winched her off the step deck that brought her here. Part way down the loading ramps the bolt holding the ramp to the step deck broke. Ended up needing a crane lift to safely get the job done. Cost $750 to get her off the trailer and towed the last mile to the house. I'm trying to get the pic's uploaded today.

post-20888-0-41508800-1440261250_thumb.j

post-20888-0-04379800-1440261259_thumb.j

Edited by Virtual400

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try to start her with the stuck valve. Just want to see if she'll run. The chief told me they hadn't started her for 7 years. Any hints to bringing her to life? I'm also looking for any manuals / schematics for the truck, engine and pump.

Also as a side note, the batteries wouldn't hold a charge so I pulled them and put another set in. Ran through all the switches and lights and it looks like everything works. Tested the starter and it turns. It has one of those old rotary style sirens that is extremely loud. I live in the mountains in WA state were a lot of forest fires are raging this year. The "siren test" scared the hell out of the folks that live near me. I ended up getting phone calls, texts and emails from everyone including a friend that lives a mile from me.

Edited by Virtual400

I would do some investigating before you try and start the engine. See if you can determine what caused the valve to hang up. You might get lucky with lubing the offending valve with PB Blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil and have it pop up. Could be a long shot. Lube the other valve stems while you are at it.

Have you contacted the Mack Museum with your VIN? If not, send your number plus a donation and they can send you a package of the info they have on the truck.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent 3 days going over several issues. New plugs, rotor and distributor cap. Ordered everything I needed to make new plug wires. Ordered new gas filters and worked to get gas from the gas tank to the engine. Ordered a square plug tool for my ratchet to remove the fuel tank plug. Trying to figure out what's locking up the rear wheels. Brakes are caged so it has to be something with the pump lock out but haven't figured it our yet. I have a long weekend off this weekend so going to hit it again.