Regional Popularity

I notice :mack1: seems to be popular in the Northeast as far as OTR/regional and garbage hauling operations is concerned. Here in the Mid-West :mack1: is popular with garbage outfits, dump outfits, tanker outfits, and not really popular as far as OTR/regional operations. Are :mack1: popular anywhere else besides the Northeast and Mid-West, if so in what type of operations are they popular in? I get excited when I see a :mack1: in OTR/regional operations because it's a rare site to see with other junk trucks being on the road due to companies purchasing them for cheap.

I notice :mack1: seems to be popular in the Northeast as far as OTR/regional and garbage hauling operations is concerned. Here in the Mid-West :mack1: is popular with garbage outfits, dump outfits, tanker outfits, and not really popular as far as OTR/regional operations. Are :mack1: popular anywhere else besides the Northeast and Mid-West, if so in what type of operations are they popular in? I get excited when I see a :mack1: in OTR/regional operations because it's a rare site to see with other junk trucks being on the road due to companies purchasing them for cheap.

South Roxana, Il?..we've hauled a pile of piling out there this year to the Conoco Philips refinery!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

South Roxana, Il?..we've hauled a pile of piling out there this year to the Conoco Philips refinery!

Yes sir, Conoco well it's now called WRB Refinery is expanding to add 10% more capacity, it's suppose to be done by 2011.

I recently took my first trip over the Rockies and into Spokane, WA. I had never travelled that far west before. I have studied trucking history so I was not surprised at the lack of :mack1: out west. Just regional preferences based on location of manufacture, I suppose. KW's and PETE's were originated on the west coast and still maintain popularity there. In more recent times, Mack has not had a big power engine to compete in the western mountain markets.

It was also interesting to me to see the different trailer and wheelbase configurations in various areas of our country, such as Rocky Mt. doubles and triples, and truck/ full trailer combos. Quite a few cabover trucks still in use as well, probably due to the longer trailers.

I recently took my first trip over the Rockies and into Spokane, WA. I had never travelled that far west before. I have studied trucking history so I was not surprised at the lack of :mack1: out west. Just regional preferences based on location of manufacture, I suppose. KW's and PETE's were originated on the west coast and still maintain popularity there. In more recent times, Mack has not had a big power engine to compete in the western mountain markets.

It was also interesting to me to see the different trailer and wheelbase configurations in various areas of our country, such as Rocky Mt. doubles and triples, and truck/ full trailer combos. Quite a few cabover trucks still in use as well, probably due to the longer trailers.

I made that trip to Puyallup this winter, my first trip to the great northwest too. I'd been to California several times, but it was 30 years ago. I loved it, except for the snow and ice part-you can really cover some ground in a day out there in the wide open spaces, with little traffic on the road, 70 or 75 mph speed limits, and it's just beautiful country too.

I certainly wouldn't mind making that trip again now that it's warm. Montana's probably even prettier now.

:mack1: err I mean Volvo now has the big power to compete with CAT getting out the market. :mack1: may not be a fancy truck but a work truck, I rather have me a work truck over a fancy truck any day!

Mack is the first truck buyers from other countries look for. The are probably more popular overseas and in South America than that are in the USA now.

(Sorry I just couldn't resist.)

That is a damn shame! :angry:

I made that trip to Puyallup this winter, my first trip to the great northwest too. I'd been to California several times, but it was 30 years ago. I loved it, except for the snow and ice part-you can really cover some ground in a day out there in the wide open spaces, with little traffic on the road, 70 or 75 mph speed limits, and it's just beautiful country too.

I certainly wouldn't mind making that trip again now that it's warm. Montana's probably even prettier now.

We really lucked out on the trip. I left the big truck home and went with a friend on a "vacation" trip to help him deliver an antique car. (5500 miles in 7 days; some vacation! No logbook or scale houses at any rate.) We went the week after Easter and had dry roads and warm temps all week. The week after our return, parts of Montana got 5 feet of snow.

We really lucked out on the trip. I left the big truck home and went with a friend on a "vacation" trip to help him deliver an antique car. (5500 miles in 7 days; some vacation! No logbook or scale houses at any rate.) We went the week after Easter and had dry roads and warm temps all week. The week after our return, parts of Montana got 5 feet of snow.

good thing with the no log book trip-I had mine and all paperwork checked 4 times on the trip, more than i'd usually have it checked in a year around these parts.

Mack is the first truck buyers from other countries look for. The are probably more popular overseas and in South America than that are in the USA now.

I'd guess that's probably because most companies won't lease an o/o's truck that's more than 5-7 years old...so once the truck gets to be 8-10 years old it has no value to anyone other than someone running under their own authority. 8-10 year old Macks are still perfectly capable of doing real work...them other truck brands not so much. :D

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Along with Volvo. Hate to say it but Volvo has earned allot of respect the world over. I saw a picture on Hanks that showed a Volvo with a burnt out cab with no windshield or side windows still working hauling a tanker full of fuel! Not saying Volvo is better but lets not kid ourselves. While Mack was making a name here in the US and Canada The Europeans were earning a name for themselves the world over.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I seen something I thought pretty neat this afternoon running around in OKC. There is a large freight yard belonging to US Express that they run bright red tractors that have been increasingly Volvo dominated. Today there were about 75 Volvo tractors with the corporate names stripped off and at least that many brand new Mack tractors that were as of yet unlettered.

Kinda nice to see that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I seen something I thought pretty neat this afternoon running around in OKC. There is a large freight yard belonging to US Express that they run bright red tractors that have been increasingly Volvo dominated. Today there were about 75 Volvo tractors with the corporate names stripped off and at least that many brand new Mack tractors that were as of yet unlettered.

Kinda nice to see that.

Rob

That is very interesting, given the general consensus that Volvo wants to do away with the Mack name and serve its OTR customers with Volvo branded trucks. Popular opinion does not always dictate truth. I have faith the Mack name isn't going anywhere.

Gregg

Kinda nice to see that.

Rob

Did I just read that right? US Xpress is giving up Volvo for Mack? Are they giving up them Junkliners too? :P

Did I just read that right? US Xpress is giving up Volvo for Mack? Are they giving up them Junkliners too? :P

I'll get by there this afternoon and snap a couple photos.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes sir, Conoco well it's now called WRB Refinery is expanding to add 10% more capacity, it's suppose to be done by 2011.

Hey Double L, do you haul in and out of the refinery? I haul propane out of the back end of the refinery. There are only a handful of us propane haulers that have any class and drive Macks. I don't get in there much in the summer but in the I'm in there 2 or 3 times a day

Hey Double L, do you haul in and out of the refinery? I haul propane out of the back end of the refinery. There are only a handful of us propane haulers that have any class and drive Macks. I don't get in there much in the summer but in the I'm in there 2 or 3 times a day

No sir I don't, I'm only 18 and have a CDL permit with tanker, double triple, and air brakes. Trying to find someone to let you use their truck for the CDL test is a pain in the rear. I see some propane haulers but they run Pete's or KW's. I don't remember seeing any propane hauler out there with a Mack.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Binghamton NY area we have one comp that had 20 Mack CL700 Tri axle dumps , 3 Granites tri axle dumps ,6 CH600 day cab tractors,2 CL700 day cab tractors and one CL700 Day cab tri axle tractor and they haul Earth products. They also have other brand names trucks which I wont say and there all green. There company name is Lopke Rock Products. Then other construction out fits in my area has the DM600's And RD600's . Also the asphalt company in our area been upgrading to slightly used granites and tradind in there RD600's. There 100% mack fleet. There tractors are all CH600's also. But no new Mack Titans.

Terry E Davis Of Johnson City N.Y.

Here in Binghamton NY area we have one comp that had 20 Mack CL700 Tri axle dumps , 3 Granites tri axle dumps ,6 CH600 day cab tractors,2 CL700 day cab tractors and one CL700 Day cab tri axle tractor and they haul Earth products. They also have other brand names trucks which I wont say and there all green. There company name is Lopke Rock Products. Then other construction out fits in my area has the DM600's And RD600's . Also the asphalt company in our area been upgrading to slightly used granites and tradind in there RD600's. There 100% mack fleet. There tractors are all CH600's also. But no new Mack Titans.

Terry E Davis Of Johnson City N.Y.

I am glad Lopke is upgrading their fleet a bit. Those old Diamond Reos and Autocars create a hazard pulling the hills at 20mph on I-81. Neat to see the old trucks still working though. Now if they could just paint 'em a different color...

I am glad Lopke is upgrading their fleet a bit. Those old Diamond Reos and Autocars create a hazard pulling the hills at 20mph on I-81. Neat to see the old trucks still working though. Now if they could just paint 'em a different color...

And their tailgates leak like a sieve

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

They took all of the older Autocars off the road and maybe running a couple as spares.They all sit on the back row. There still running all there Diamond Reos and they have 14 of them all the same. I use to not like there green also but now that I see it everyday its starting to look nice. It grows on u I guess. Also they have just one KW W9L dump. Most all of there Mack dumps they get out on Canada as u see there tag is set up right behind the cab which u see nothing like that set up in New York State. Also as u pass there building on route 17 u can see them all line up in a row and looks very impressive. One thing I know he is making alot of money the way he buy used trucks rather then buying new. Also he buys them in fleets not just one truck at a time. Before the Autocars he ran Brockways and before that whites and kenworths. His whites and kenworths use to be single axle day cab with a dump trailer behind them. That was back in the old days. All together he is running around 70 trucks now. I talk to the guy that works in is office almost everyweek and get updates on the trucks and every year he trying to update his trucks to newer trucks. So if anyone knows of a fleet of newer Mack Dumps for sale let me know.

Terry E Davis of Johnsson City N.Y.

• 3 months later...

here in the Denver area, a lot of the dirt haulers are running Macks, a couple of the larger companies that always ran Pete's or Freightshakers are looking to switch to Mack as well. The company I work for, we have a small fleet (12 trucks) all are Mack's hauling intermodal.