Allsion Automatic Macks

brutus998

All the Postal Service's Macks have Allisons and for the city driving we do we love 'em. They easily out accellerate a manual and have left a lot off " Brand x" drivers with 14 liter and bigger engines wondering waht was wrong with their engines. The Allison is damn near unbeakable too- rebuilds are rare, and the only time they break down is when a hose from the Allison to the oil cooler breaks. The mechanics just patch the leak, refill the system, ad she's good as new.

brutus998,

With the "Change" over to "Granites" the "boss" is trying the new Allisons...The 2004's are 6 speeds with the Mack 400..and the 2005 has the 427 ( salesman said we might getter better mpg :) )....I was given the option on my 2005 and stayed with the 8LL with my 400..( I still like to shift :lol::lol: )......

Now take into account these are "Dump Buckets" and we still "punish" them...the '04s have close to 100,000 trouble free miles (transmission wise ;) ) BUT the mpgs suffered so far.a good 10-15 gallons a day more..

Snoope back quiet

Did a septic a few years ago and had to have about 25 loads of sand hauled in about 500 feet off the blacktop through some really soft bad ground. The DMs and RDs with clutches just got buried but the RD tandems with those Allison autos were awesome. Went through that bad ground like they were on tracks. Another outfit I work with have triaxles with Allisons but the drivers don't like 'em claiming that they're geared to high for the highway. I don't know much about the different options Allison has to offer but those RDs that day really saved my butt.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

does anyone know the dimensions of the cooler for the big allison? how are they behind a maxidyne motor?

i have a good 300 and a 6 speed planned for my 6 wheel dump, but an automatic seems like an easier installation. i've seen fire trucks listed for sale as late as 1989 with e-6 350 two valves, engine mount cooler and tip turbine, does that sound right or a misprint? scott

scott,

That sounds right... That is exactly what motor I run... My personal opion is the 350 2 valve is the best motor Mack ever made... My grandfather ran them for years and he claims once mack went to the 4 valve heads "they went to crap, but you couldnt tear up a 350 2 valve if you tried." In my 83 there is unbelieveable torque in first gear it gets amazing traction... The only downfall is that the tranny only allows a top speed of 63 MPH... I know you can get a 4 speed auxiliary, but I have heard they are a pain in the but messing with the linkage. My uncle had an allison behind a 3406b cat with a 4 speed auxilary and that thing would absolutely haul arse! I will say that make sure you get a good automitc if buying a used one because I have heard they are VERY expensive to overhaul and the transmission is really big and heavy compared to a manual so instillation/ working on them is sometimes fun.

I have a 1990 RD with a 270 four valve and five speed auto 20 front 58 rears 14ft dump box and it is one sweet driving truck, the weard thing is it pulls the same empty or loaded, I've been working it for over a year and havent had a problem with it yet. Off road it's owesome it pulls like a son of B and the traction is unbelivable.

we wn a concrete business, own Mack for 50 years. we bought oshkosh in 1997 with 350 cummins and Allisson 4 speed automatic. it's awesome. no more clutch adjusment, 100 times better on the job sites, smooter on all the trucks (not all the driver's know everything on shifting...) no problem with them...

I prefer to keep on shifting my Mack, but prefer to see driver with automatic...