Gasket Remover:

Rob

What do you guys use for really baked on gaskets? I don't want to scar up some aluminum parts with a scraper. I've tried Permatex spray remover and it has not worked. I even soaked some of the parts in my parts washer overnight to no avail.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

We use 3m Roloc discs on a die grinder. You can find them at most parts places. The Scotch-brite disc works great but will gouge aluminum if not careful. Shouldn't use them on highly machined parts like heads but there ok for hub caps and such. The bristle discs won't gouge the aluminum but are slower. Spray on gasket removers take to long, you have to soak it down good and wait forever.

Brian

Ditto on the the first two responses. The 3M bristle and Scotch Brite discs come in assorted hardness's and grit's that will do the job just fine. I have used both on aluminum with good results when used on a high speed air sander or die grinder. However you must be very careful not to eat up the aluminum by getting too agressive. On really thick stubborn gaskets I usually use the Scotch Brite disc's until I'm almost down to the aluminum then finish it off with the bristle discs. A little heavy grease or Copper Coat on the new gasket really helps if you ever have to take it apart again.

I've used roloc discs many times on parts that are not critical, or iron. These parts are sealing surfaces on a Mack transmission case. I think the thing was rebuilt once and a lot of gasket shellac used when reassembled. I didn't want to go this route because of the aluminum parts and possibility of damage.

I will go ahead and follow the suggestions listed. Sure appreciate it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A sharp razor blade and a set of sore fingers gets it clean for me...........LOL!!!

Get some good brake clean(spray can), as they usually cuts into the paper and gasket glue and helps release it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hey Rob,

Sounds like you need to find a old dishwasher at a yard sale or something. works like a washer cabinet.

Fred

Boy, that would sure make the mother-in-law happy.

Rob

most all comercial truck mechanics us the rotoloc pads but you have to be carefull and slow on alummin and if helps to go back to the old scrapling way of getting the gasket off for awhile and then you learn to like the pads. There is some guys that use the air scrapers but it is not for me. I have used them on the DD housing were no gasket is used with good luck.

glenn akers

I agree with Freightrain on the brake/carb cleaner to loosen things up. If you are really concerned about nicks try good old sandpaper. Go slow and keep the paper clean. At East Mfg. we sand out a lot of scratches. They start with 80 grit then work up to a finish with 220 grit. If you use sandpaper it may leave a nice "texture" on your parts to give your new gasket some surface to grip.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Greg, you work at East? Do you know Leroy Dinger?

Yep I know him. I also know Gordan Crow who has the blue Anglia. I've been laid off since June and have been working a few different EMS jobs.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?