Tiger Tool, King Pin Press

Has anyone had any experience with the Tiger Tool king pin press?  I'm wanting to change out some king pins on my R600 with an 18,000lbs steer axle, and I want to set my self up to win, in what would certainly be a tough job otherwise. 

I am assuming this unit would work on a Mack axle....but I'm not sure.   Any thoughts would be great before I dump this kind of $ at a tool.

Thanks!

https://tigertool.com/products/king-pin-press

Not suggesting it will or wont work

However for this type of coin I feel you could buy a engine hoist and 50 ton press and use these for so much more than just king pins 

Engine hoist to lift the axle into the press and the press to change the king pins

Anyway, that's just a thought

Paul 

• Like 1

I have used OTC's king pin press on tapered pins on the Double Deck buses. What I can say is: OTC's press looks a lot more beefy than Tiger Tools. I maxed out the OTC, and added heat to get the pins out, it sounded like a small bomb going off and drove the pin and the brick floor about 3" down when the pin let go.

I like Tiger Tools U joint tool, but that pin press doesn't look like it would be strong enough. Straight pins, you might be ok, but if you have taper pins, then you want something with some meat behind it.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/otc-king-pin-anchor-hydraulic-pin-pusher-with-10k-psi-pump-otc4240ap?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNyR_eXjhgMVWTcIBR39dwyuEAQYAyABEgKrPvD_BwE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

what year is the 'R'?   I never used a tool like that, only ever set the axle beam on stands, pulled the wheels, and some times the backing plates, and knocked them out with a sledge hammer and a home made steel handle with an old king pin welded to one end of it. it take s 2 guys.. the bushings can be pushed out with the metal cutting bit on a good air hammer if they are the thicker brass bushings, if the bushings have a seam in them then you can drive a sharp beater screw driver in where the seam is and they will fall out.  of course you may have to buff out the bore due to deep scratches..  not need to be abusive, just diligent..   theres more but I want to see your response. 

Its a 75.

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Yup agree with Joe the hardest part is usually getting the nut off the bottom the rest is a cake walk if it’s a Mack axle!

It is a Mack axle.  Are the king pins more cooperative in them, rather then an off breed axle?

it just takes some work and attention so as to not damage the top of the knuckle as you drive out the old pin, once it moves a small amout it wil drift or drop out..  its tapered and it only needs to move laess than an inch,  assuming your steering knucles arent siezed..  

• Like 2

Spend your money on the king pin nut tool from Kenmore, it comes with both size sockets for all Mack steering axles as well as thread chasers to clean up the threads.  We do same as Joey. Crib up the axle beam, disassemble hub, balance an old king pin on from the previous king pin job, and beat the hell out of it patiently. Doesn't usually take us too much beating, these pins are tapered. Once they pop they come right out, unlike a straight king pin that can be gummed up the whole way out.

Sidenote, I'm a scrawny 5'11" 150 pounder. I can swing a 6 pound sledge a lot harder than I can swing an 8 pound sledge.  Use the tools you can control.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 2

Amen JoeH,,,  the top cap may also be pinned in, and the welch plug types can be punctured with a sharp punch and twisted out,,  you may squirt a bit of grease on you , but so what... I hesitate at times to say how many times I have done a repair, because I dont want to sound like a know it all,   in this case,,, not a know it all, but a know quite a bit..  guy.  dozens of king pin sets in Mack axles...  

• Like 1

I borrowed one from local Mack dealer a few years ago, I think it was at least 3/4" drive. Brand name started with Ken, came with 2 sockets and the matching thread chasers. Worked fantastic.

• Like 1

https://www.tillmantools.com/Kent-Moore-J-44004-King-Pin-Cap-Tool-Kit-p/kmtj-44004.htm

Joey got me straightened out! I was thinking 22002, but it was 44004. This is the kit my local dealer lent me, it was fantastic.  Might buy this set next time I have to do king pins.  The + fits nicely into the caps, you can put an air wrench on it, then run the thread chaser in to clean up threads after you get the cap out. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 1:14 PM, Joey Mack said:

JoeH,,,  you are on top of this !!!  Full Floater got some good info on this thread..   

Did I ever!

I'm now leaning towards tackling the king pin job without the Tiger Tool or equivalent....   still thinkin about it...

Depending on what tools you have available, plenty of axles pulled out and just press the king pin out with a shop press

As long as it gets done

Last lot I did was on a Isuzu truck and just geated the spindle up and had a piece of maybe 1 inch round bar as punch weld on a handle, a mate just held the punch after heating and I belted the pin out

I have just used a 20 ton jack chained under a spindle with a bit of pipe over stub axle, it's a pretty fiddley but worked (my least preferred way)

Paul

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Depending on what tools you have available, plenty of axles pulled out and just press the king pin out with a shop press

As long as it gets done

Last lot I did was on a Isuzu truck and just geated the spindle up and had a piece of maybe 1 inch round bar as punch weld on a handle, a mate just held the punch after heating and I belted the pin out

I have just used a 20 ton jack chained under a spindle with a bit of pipe over stub axle, it's a pretty fiddley but worked (my least preferred way)

Paul

Yes.   In this particular case, I am really trying to leave the axle in place, in the truck.  When the truck was getting resurrected (I should have done the king pins then) I would have pulled the axle at that time and done it in a press, which I have.  But it's now in service and am trying to do it in the most time efficient way.   Plus i've just put new leaf springs in it and all that jazz and would like to leave all that alone.  Again, I should have done the king pins at that time.

• Like 1