E7 exhaust manifold leak

Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

Posted (edited)

Working on putting a 1990 RD688 dump truck back on the road.

Has the 400 E7, 12 speed, camelback, top loader rears (maybe all do??  I've seen some with Eaton diffs and 5-18 speeds)

Has an exhaust leak between head and manifold at for sure the back cylinder, possibly the 2nd.

Was really noticeable starting it one morning with the hood open, as it'll smoke for a few seconds.

Are the gaskets and studs the same for all E7s?  I can order a kit for around $225.  I think they are 12mm studs, which makes me wonder, metric was quite rare until late 90s into 2000s.

None of the kits specify a year range or anything denoting there's different kits off a CPL, serial, etc so makes me think they're all the same.

Edited by Icehole

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yes they are 12MM studs.  PAI has a kit and the gaskets, felpro makes the gaskets..  be sure to put high temp sealant on the threads for the bottom studs. Those holes are live right in to the pushrod bore.. also, pay attention to how deep you go with them. You may hit the push rod, E-7's have thinner push rods than E-Techs, but just get an understanding of what you have..   Jojo

Just to add to Joeys comment there do a retorque after a few heat and cool cycles say a week or two of work do it cold!   
just sayin!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Ooops,, I forgot the torque routine,,  25 lbft,, then 50 lbft, then finish at 100 lbft.....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Ooops,, I forgot the torque routine,,  25 lbft,, then 50 lbft, then finish at 100 lbft.....

Yup you’re slipping buddy!😂

• Haha 1

this may sound silly,, but I wish there was a big truck junk yard near me so I could just walk around and look at trucks to help me remember the things that slip my mind..  I can tell that I am losing the quick reflex of answering questions on here.  and I used to rattle this stuff off in an instant..   Oh Well,,,   :)  Jojo

Good deal.

Hoping I caught it early enough that the head or manifold isn't eroded.

Well... and that I don't have to drill out every stud.  I gave them some Kroll a couple weeks ago over a few days.

12 hours ago, Mark T said:

We still luv ya 

Yup we do!  Just except getting old Buddy  you'll be fine! Wheeling to the junk yard in your wheel chair to remember where you been probably will help later on! You got a year or two left!😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FYI your manifold could be eroded. My 95 was when we bought it, back cylinder.  Caught it when the engine hydro locked after a rain storm shortly after we bought it.  Pulled the manifold, used cast iron welding rods then ground it back down, haven't had a problem in ~13 years since.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, fjh said:

Yup you’re slipping buddy!😂

he's NOT slipping! this was his way of testing who  is paying attention . after joey retires, He's going to be a teacher in a technical school for mechanical studies. this "slip "was just setting format for teacher to students.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

when I retire, there wont be anyone left that wants to learn how to fix something that might get them dirty, mess their hair and or break a nail...  Have you seen todays ''Male's'' ??  :) 

OOOOH Ya!  Amen My  Brother TESTIFY  ! 

• Like 1

Quite Honestly ! We had a little girl at the shop she started out in the office billing She was into racing with her dad! She decided to take on the trade ! She exceled at it she could run circles around me and a few others at the computer stuff she was 5ft 6 or so she could  run circles around most of the guys doing a brake job Drums included and most any other task you thru at her! Had to help her once and awhile Welding was one of her short comings Had to train her to think like a Guy a bit !  But she was invaluable with her tiny little hands for this new rubbish that they build with no room for the big mittens like mine! IE: Fan belts ect ! She got her Trade and now has a Family of  two  and moved back into the warranty department ! Doing claims! 

Just sayin!

Male or Female They are out there!!   Just not many!

• Like 1

When my wife and I worked together at a Mack service dealer, sometimes she would help me. She has done a couple sets of cam bushings with me, during an in-frame. Then Top Brass said that she cant do that anymore, it makes the other guys look bad..  Oh well, it was kinda cool to have my wife help me.. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 880joe said:

I think the early e7 is thicker where stud goes through the manifold than the later e7 so yours may need longer studs

Hope not, already ordered the kit.  Seperate the gaskets were $55, so paid ~$170 for the studs and nuts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Turbo studs on ASET are different 

Edited by Joey Mack
Pour sell fone sperring