ASET AC engine woes

On 2/8/2024 at 7:26 PM, dieselpowerstroke said:

So it seems they are willing to hillbilly my new injector lines to make them seal to the cracked nozzles. Like, really?  But also he said afterwards, they would just slobber oil slightly down the side of the head and

Is anyone else scratching their head as to how you get an oil leak from fuel injector lines mating up to the injectors?...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

Is anyone else scratching their head as to how you get an oil leak from fuel injector lines mating up to the injectors?...

Diselpowerstroke this motors service manual is free somewhere online just bing or yahoo it.

i have to say after little reading im surprised they'd machine exhaust stud holes into push rod bore, allowing oil to leak if threads arent sealed. ehhh bigger camshaft meant moving camshaft outboard more, then lead to push rod bores angled 4* as well as bigger bores. lots going on, sometimes you dont have room.

i see why they said it cant be done, the counter bore is not just a flange at top, but a deep ~ 4" deep counter bore. doubt they have that tool that Joey Mack showed. Although standard production counterbore depth is 3.998–4.002", with max machining  down to 4.040 idk how many refreshes this casting has had but i doubt 0.038. 

and for fuel terms its 6 individual unit injectors(cam stroked, electronically metered) feeding injection lines, which have a captured "pass thru nut", which screws into side of block pressing the injection line nose into the NOZZLE(technically not an injector). the NOZZLES are just valves and are vertical in head. held down by a cap/plug. the nozzle (cup) are removable just thread a puller into the cup and pull it out. Sealed with locktight on lower and upper seal primeters then install with an installer/aligner. seems like the E6 4 valve heads, that had nozzle in the center.

Edited by glenbjackson
  • Like 1

Thanks gentlemen for your knowledge. I have a better understanding already. I will have to search for an engine manual and get one, now I want to learn about this engine for myself, just because now I KNOW they are lying to me about it.

We bought this truck from another place, a used truck dealer. Talked to the owner about it, and since this truck has so many issues, he is willing to allow us to switch it for another truck on his lot. Very unexpected of him but a very good business move to keep our business. He doesnt seem worried about our truck at all, says he will throw a used engine in it and it wont be a problem to resell. So when the Volvo/Mack dealer is done dicking around with the truck, we will pay their stupid bill, throw an absolute fit at them armed with the knowledge you guys have given me, then go swap the truck out with the used truck place. Might try a different brand this time.

Thank you very much for all your input everyone, I very much appreciate it! Im sure this thread will help someone else in the future! Whenever they get the truck done, i will let you guys know what BS they try to feed me on the way out of the shop.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dieselpowerstroke said:

Thanks gentlemen for your knowledge. I have a better understanding already. I will have to search for an engine manual and get one, now I want to learn about this engine for myself, just because now I KNOW they are lying to me about it.

We bought this truck from another place, a used truck dealer. Talked to the owner about it, and since this truck has so many issues, he is willing to allow us to switch it for another truck on his lot. Very unexpected of him but a very good business move to keep our business. He doesnt seem worried about our truck at all, says he will throw a used engine in it and it wont be a problem to resell. So when the Volvo/Mack dealer is done dicking around with the truck, we will pay their stupid bill, throw an absolute fit at them armed with the knowledge you guys have given me, then go swap the truck out with the used truck place. Might try a different brand this time.

Thank you very much for all your input everyone, I very much appreciate it! Im sure this thread will help someone else in the future! Whenever they get the truck done, i will let you guys know what BS they try to feed me on the way out of the shop.

Well At the very least you have learned where not to take a truck for repairs! ANY TRUCK!  Can't imagine what they would have told you had you brought them a Pete with a Cat or Cummins engine in it for repairs!🙄May be they would have you change out the Air in the Tires or something@ 150 an hour ! 

Sorry this Happened to you! Not all Mack dealers Are like this How ever now a days its hard to find reputable people to work !

You'll  see multiple complaints on this site By a lot of us on this subject!

Good luck with your truck hunting Bro!

Guy where I live here has a E Tech (pre self destructive EGR)   He took it to a diesel repair shop because the EML was on (truck ran fine)  He wa stold the light wa son because it needed 6 unit pumps and six injectors. Then they told him they needed @ $9000.00 for parts before they went ahead with the repair. He questioned them and they were adament the codes were coming from both the unit pumps and injectors themselves.  This wasn't a Mack dealer, and that was because they gave him every excuse why it'd be weeks before they could even get it in.  So now it's been running around with the light on for a couple mounths (lol)  Personally, I think the old girl needs an engine harness, point is this is one more of countless examples of what truck repair has devolved into.  

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Guy where I live here has a E Tech (pre self destructive EGR)   He took it to a diesel repair shop because the EML was on (truck ran fine)  He wa stold the light wa son because it needed 6 unit pumps and six injectors. Then they told him they needed @ $9000.00 for parts before they went ahead with the repair. He questioned them and they were adament the codes were coming from both the unit pumps and injectors themselves.  This wasn't a Mack dealer, and that was because they gave him every excuse why it'd be weeks before they could even get it in.  So now it's been running around with the light on for a couple mounths (lol)  Personally, I think the old girl needs an engine harness, point is this is one more of countless examples of what truck repair has devolved into.  

Experience based diagnostics ! Multiple codes for all six usually evolved into a fuel transfer pump issue ! Low fuel pressure! Not always but most times!

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Experience based diagnostics ! Multiple codes for all six usually evolved into a fuel transfer pump issue ! Low fuel pressure! Not always but most times!

These guys assured the owner the codes were right from the injector itself (lol)  Can you imagine if you're correct ?  Then they'd gladly add on to what would be a twelve thousand dollar bill already.  Not to mention what else didn't live through their fact finding treasure hunt.  Truck repair is out of control.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark T said:

These guys assured the owner the codes were right from the injector itself (lol)  Can you imagine if you're correct ?  Then they'd gladly add on to what would be a twelve thousand dollar bill already.  Not to mention what else didn't live through their fact finding treasure hunt.  Truck repair is out of control.

The problem is lack of experience unfortunately the books can’t replace experience!  Been there done that multiple times helps speed things up! Some one always becomes a Guinea pig at some point! These guys are start over where us guys have been already!on the ac aset these guys are reading from a book no real world experience! Rattling off a bunch of BS they know zero about! The MP engines  had a learning curve the new guys coming along are learning them and their quirks some guys just keep following the computer screen some will innovate and come up with solutions! An quicker ways to get the job done!

4 hours ago, dieselpowerstroke said:

Nooo stay mack yo!!!! They are beast!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fjh said:

The problem is lack of experience unfortunately the books can’t replace experience!  Been there done that multiple times helps speed things up! Some one always becomes a Guinea pig at some point! These guys are start over where us guys have been already!on the ac aset these guys are reading from a book no real world experience! Rattling off a bunch of BS they know zero about! The MP engines  had a learning curve the new guys coming along are learning them and their quirks some guys just keep following the computer screen some will innovate and come up with solutions! An quicker ways to get the job done!

Can't go from playing candy crush to diagnosing issues with a truck.  For the money they're talking about ?  seems there's better ways to approach the customer other than ( we'll just keep charging you for whatever ) like maybe turning down the job in the first place.  I agree everyone has to learn, but so many of these guys don't learn. So we pay and pay and pay for nothing . Then here we get to pay for student loans for someone else who likely learned nothing.  Sorry to go off here , but more and more you see this nonsense. Take a truck for repairs , don't get them and more often than not be told you're wrong for expecting them.  It's a strange new way of conducting affairs, and hard to adjust to. 

• Like 1

your too kind Mark..  Do you think $5,000.00 for labor is low?  I'm just curious.  These builds cost between 10-20 K depending on customer request and re-using good parts.  Of course I want to install a fresh turbo, oil pump (unless it passes my inspection)  water pump, nozzles, oil cooler, air compressor, and have the heads done.. I cant machine the heads or do valve guides, but I can lap valves (water test them)  and install new seals.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

your too kind Mark..  Do you think $5,000.00 for labor is low?  I'm just curious.  These builds cost between 10-20 K depending on customer request and re-using good parts.  Of course I want to install a fresh turbo, oil pump (unless it passes my inspection)  water pump, nozzles, oil cooler, air compressor, and have the heads done.. I cant machine the heads or do valve guides, but I can lap valves (water test them)  and install new seals.. 

I think it is on the low side.  I don't know what the market will bare where you live.  I know there's fewer and fewer guys doing anything with Macks here. (older or newer) Grey engines are either no one touches them, or if you're lucky you know a guy.  I'm sure you know what you want for your time and all, but that number is way more than fair to a customer for what you're doing . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

bring it up to $6500.oo labor ($500.oo for me ) ' I'll load my toolbox (3 deck matco ) and two other smaller boxes monday am ''be there!! LOL . nah  = can't. if  only 30 yrs younger. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

maybe I need to post an ad..  Bring me your E-7/ E-Tech's and I will rebuild them.  $5,000.00 labor, plus parts.  You can supply the parts as long as I approve of them.  

Here is what it will look like when its done..

0.jpg

KIMG1142.JPG

What not painted !! LMAO> looks good. hopefully questions on other topic discussing new lines and fittings will look at this picture to see older style fittings vs new two piece fittings. new style #8 going in older style #6 out/return?

11 hours ago, Mark T said:

Please tell him to run the blink code test and figure out what the codes really are....