Mack B Model Custom/Repower/Chassis Swap

I'd agree with the DT466 idea since cummins can be a bit pricy to find. Plus DT466 is rebuildable!! John Deere engines can also be pretty easy to find and are about the same as a DT466. 

Eaton 6 or 7 speed is what I would go for but if you feel up to plumbing in air lines or even driving with twin sticks you can put any transmission in you want. 

I'm game for just about any combo that is EASY to find parts and EASY to maintain.  Nothing worse than finding a project and all the parts to support it are like hens teeth.  In the last 25 years, I have done DOZENS of restorations.  Cars, tractors, soda machines, jukeboxes, pinball machines, vintage machining tools, antique farm implements, furniture, clocks, and on and on.......I'm a glutton for punishment.  

I was thinking it might be easier to buy a whole truck to swap parts off of, like a pre 1994 International with engine/transmission and axle.  Swap it all over to a Mack B61.  I would like a stick, but my wife may also want/need to drive it.  I kinda want to put a roll back on it to haul equipment rather than use a trailer, might also help with the ride.

Anyone know what is the limit for posts on this forum?  I got a notification that I had met the maximum amount of posts for the day.  Is that for new guys?

1 hour ago, r8f1k said:

I'm game for just about any combo that is EASY to find parts and EASY to maintain.  Nothing worse than finding a project and all the parts to support it are like hens teeth.  In the last 25 years, I have done DOZENS of restorations.  Cars, tractors, soda machines, jukeboxes, pinball machines, vintage machining tools, antique farm implements, furniture, clocks, and on and on.......I'm a glutton for punishment.  

I was thinking it might be easier to buy a whole truck to swap 

Anyone know what is the limit for posts on this forum?  I got a notification that I had met the maximum amount of posts for the day.  Is that for new guys?

It very well may be a restriction on new members. 

I have not heard or seen it before.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 hours ago, r8f1k said:

I was thinking it might be easier to buy a whole truck to swap parts off of, like a pre 1994 International with engine/transmission and axle.  Swap it all over to a Mack B61.  I would like a stick, but my wife may also want/need to drive it.  I kinda want to put a roll back on it to haul equipment rather than use a trailer, might also help with the ride.

There was a fellow a few years back that bought a bus and used the whole driveline for his B.  Front/rear axles (hydro boost), motor/trans.  He did have to narrow the front axle to fit .  B's are pretty narrow.  All mechanical, no computer if you can find an old enough bus.  I'll try to find his build, there were tons of pictures.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

32 minutes ago, r8f1k said:

Funny you say that, I was just thinking this morning on the way to work about using a bus!!!  Single rear axle, probably an IH engine.....

Also enough frame length to mount a roll back?? Might have shorten it in back of the drive axle??  That Diamond REO you pictured looks about right to convert into a roll back??

Brocky

10 hours ago, r8f1k said:

I post all kinds on all kinds of stuff all the time. Probably just an anti spam feature til you've established yourself. log in every day for a week, it'll get you a badge. 

I have found a decent B61 with a Mack diesel in it.  Owner says it is a 673.  Any thoughts on keeping the 673 and swapping a better/more roadworthy transmission?  It has a tandem axle, I would be willing to swap an axle, but what is the IDEAL thing to look for?  Factory air ride?  Thoughts?

Ideal is go to a junk yard and see if they have a rear single axle cutoff with a suspension you like and axle ratio that'll get you the top speeds you're looking for.  Take note of outside frame rail measurements, I believe Mack frame rails are a slightly different spacing than other manufacturers. May require shims of some sort to match up another brand suspension to the Mack. My Mack experience doesn't begin until you land in a mid 1970's R model.

• Like 1

Note that trucks of this era were built when highway speed limits nationally were 55 mph, so that's typically what you can expect any old dog to be built to do. Gearing an old dog to go 75 mph is probably doable, but remember the steering geometry and linkage may or may not be happy going that fast. My '79 R686ST keeps you on your toes to make sure you stay in your lane, albeit it's a top heavy truck with light frame and springs.

14 hours ago, JoeH said:

Are the midliners the ones that are awful to find parts for? Like $10,000 for the brake treadle valve?

yup. midliners are signified by the "MS" or "CS" in their model. as in MS200, MS250, or MS300 and built by RVI of france. RVI is or was Renault.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..