Any intrest in Mack B61 Model Kits in 1/25 scale?

Man!  How long I wanted to hear that!  I ended up buying a bunch of First Gear Diecast 1/25 scale B-models because no kit was available.

I don't build many models anymore (no time, old hands, old eyes, etc.).  But I would probably grab a couple (or more) for the "just in case" situation.

• Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

MAN HAVE YOU GOT MY VOTE ;;;YES. since the passing of Jim Etter (AIM ) yrs ago and now the sad passing of Dave Natale (A IT M) , no models resin or other to be found. sad to say the last few AMT models bought were very discouraging. I'm running out of B- LTL  model  parts. 

A R-700   can be built with todays models; take two R -600 kits and stretch the nose and frame. there is a superliner kit out there believe it is 1/32 scale. I have an R-700 actual hood (1/25th) scale in resin that has been waiting 40 + yrs to be built.  engine (300+) for george stone constructions R -600 came from A I M ;jim etter many yrs ago. almost impossible to find anyone doing resin kits/parts . its all that computer built stuff. would be a major welcome for AMT to build "out of the norm stuff" for the truck builders. hopefully AMT stays with the "legend" built like a Mack.  rails on the R's seem  smaller and thinner.

I built several of the R685 kits over the years.  On the later ones, the quality had deteriorated somewhat and the parting lines had grown substantially.  I always wished they had done a kit of the older R models with the steel dash.  Some of AITM's had the old dash.

Never enough time or options!

• Like 1

You know, Barry, lots of the better kits I remember did have options in the box.  Not that difficult to set up a frame for single or dual axles, or even to leave the frame long to allow end user customization.  Multiple driveshafts (or cut-to-length pieces), extra crossmembers...not a big deal.

Lots of the kits I built had both spoke and disc wheels in the kits.  Again, builder's choice.

This thing looks like it would be geared more toward the serious builder/collector than the casual builder.  So, I personally think the quality and flexibility of the kit might be more important than the selling price.  But, that's just one Weasel's opinion.

• Like 2

I did have a cast steel wrecker I bought at Napa about 10 years ago. I wound up giving it to a friend of mine. That was a huge fan of B models for so much help with putting up my garage. It was bad ass very detailed Napa stickers on it spoke wheels. Excellent. I’ve only seen that one. I had. I’ve never seen them for sale anywhere else… bob

• Like 1

first gear did make a number of 1/25th scale trucks= Mack and others.  the Red mack tractor 1/25 scale is detailed . mine  had a couple of unfortunate "accidents" while being boxed  during trip to TN and back to over tax CT. it's in need of shop repair and new parts ( front wheel etc). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

You know, Barry, lots of the better kits I remember did have options in the box.  Not that difficult to set up a frame for single or dual axles, or even to leave the frame long to allow end user customization.  Multiple driveshafts (or cut-to-length pieces), extra crossmembers...not a big deal.

Lots of the kits I built had both spoke and disc wheels in the kits.  Again, builder's choice.

This thing looks like it would be geared more toward the serious builder/collector than the casual builder.  So, I personally think the quality and flexibility of the kit might be more important than the selling price.  But, that's just one Weasel's opinion.

with todays kit building , it's easier to buy a number of kits for parts needed for special builds. I still have the book from A I M (Jim Etter) of yrs back which allowed the builder to basically buy every part needed for special builds. cabs, rails, engines, trans ,wheels etc. all parts were either resin or pewter. todays kits aren't 10.00- $12.00 anymore . have bought a whole kit just for the fuel tanks or frames. I CAN - retired. I don't spend it the kids think it's theirs LOL.

• Like 1

for me this topic is a great addition to the forum. I know there are truck model sites ,this being on here keeps with the Mack as headliner. HD rain in CT ; spent time yesterday reading old post ; which surprisingly go back to 2013. 

Back to models I’m sure I’ll be building more of them after retirement right now. I really don’t have a whole Lotta time to do anything especially during the week didn’t even finish up yesterday till 8 o’clock started at 6:30.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Bobby Covert said:

Absolutely.  I’ve got 3 B’s from AITM. They are unbuilt. I fear there may not be more. I see myself getting multiple models of this.  They could make other B’s easily too . Just by changing the front end. 

did you order the cab (B's) conversions or the complete  truck kit ??  all truck models being manufactured today are 3-D printed. there  are one or two companies doing 

cab conversions . I haven't heard latest info on what's happening (if anything ) to AITM ; late Dave Natale .  looking forward to a positive on the scale B's from BMT 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, Biggu said:

That's a hard YES fro  me too

Jeff

original post from Barry is ,He's trying for a complete B-model kit, not just a cab conversion which is great. I have noticed the DM-600 model kits are becoming difficult to find as are the early R-models. the spin off R kits have much to be desired.