Pictures of the Week

other dog

i hated the T800. way too small big big drivers. |and i love the new digital dash in the 2022 T880. 

you can determine which gauges you want to see and where you want to see them, and blank out the useless ones like rear axle temp. 

two i would like to have back are pyrometer, and trans temp.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 9/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, tjc transport said:

i hated the T800. way too small big big drivers. |and i love the new digital dash in the 2022 T880. 

you can determine which gauges you want to see and where you want to see them, and blank out the useless ones like rear axle temp. 

two i would like to have back are pyrometer, and trans temp.

are you saying they are doing away with real gauges ?? when a big rigs is down on side of highway it could be from digital dash screw up !!!!😱. so glad I'm on way out and don't "work" on new stuff.  i thought it is bad enough stores are doing away with cashiers. 

• Like 1

pretty much trying to do away with real gauges, yup. 

i have two mechanical gauge in the 2022 triaxle, and they are for pusher axle pressure, and brake applied air pressure. 

the tandem with air ride has three. two are suspension air gauges, the third is brake applied pressure.

everything else is digital. 

• Like 1

My '92 Marmon used mostly mechanical 270 sweep gauges, electrical for fuel, gear box temps and originally engine temp. I replaced engine with mechanical. Cable driven tach and speedo.  Had to replace the speedo and went with electric off the tailshaft. allowed for easy 2 spd install.ng

I think the reason your seeing more and more "electronic" gauge clusters is the ECM is monitoring the same stuff on the SAE data link, using the info to de-rate if a problem is detected. So just simpler to use the data link and electronic gauges. I would prefer the redundancy of separate gauges, but if the ECM is going to de rate or shut down if its sensor is out, you knowing it is the fault isn't going to allow you to override the ECM.

one of the many reasons I never had an electronic.

i do not pay attention to any gauges but the speedometer while driving. i usually don't even look at gauges when stopped. if anything happens the computer will let me know there is an issue with warning buzzers.

16 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

gotta say Bob that's quite the comparison. if I still had my pig I would ask her ; she would be honored ;;;I guess. LOL

Seems like every change they make here lately. They get worse looking. Damn glad I’m almost out of this racket. … 

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i do not pay attention to any gauges but the speedometer while driving. i usually don't even look at gauges when stopped. if anything happens the computer will let me know there is an issue with warning buzzers.

Yeah, same here are usually only watch the tach because I usually down  shift manually  since it takes computer too long to decide ..  and with three trailers two Congers I keep an eye on the air because there’s always something leaking somewhere other than that the engine just shuts off if there’s any issues as well as the big red flash that you cannot possibly miss 

I just assume they went to plastic electric panel to save money . I have not seen one yet, but one of our brand new  trucks went over to kenworth right off the get-go because it wasn’t working been over there three or four weeks now. Not sure what the delay is. Probably have to send to E. Oshkosh for a replacement board. Who knows

• Haha 1

i do not have air leaks Bob. when these trucks were brand new they would not hold air.   the tandem would loose 10 psi per minute.... the triaxle was only around 5 psi per minute.
i refused delivery until ALL air leaks were fixed.

they can now sit for 7 days and only loose less than 5 pounds air pressure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Oh, forgot to mention Tom that looks amazing. Thanks for sharing…. Bob

Thanks Bob, it must have been pretty good, it sure disappeared quick! I wouldn't even have gotten a taste of it myself if Zina hadn't stashed some away for me in a Tupperware container before it was all gone. 

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 minute ago, tjc transport said:

i do not have air leaks Bob. when these trucks were brand new they would not hold air.   the tandem would loose 10 psi per minute.... the triaxle was only around 5 psi per minute.
i refused delivery until ALL air leaks were fixed.

they can now sit for 7 days and only loose less than 5 pounds air pressure.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I drove a '77 F model that apparently had absolutely zero air leaks anywhere. It's the only truck I ever drove that I could park on Friday and when i'd get in it to leave on Sunday it would still have 120 pounds of air.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.