Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

is there a possibility the cab was changed without changing door vin tag?? i could understand a twin being  converted to a single. unless it was a long wheelbase single originally then tandems installed . does the door tag match the frame serial number ?  seems a little investigating is called for. different paint color ?? do the frame rails look "tampered with"?  cab change seems my vote ,

• Like 1

picture of right front shows red painted bumper/ cab . under cab definite line taped off separating red from black frame. possibly why the turquoise paint on rears. hopefully a vin on frame rail will be different then door and an  easier chance to acquire parts more accurately.

I saw the picture of the rear frame.  I didnt see a seam or joint where the frame was stretched..  Maybe Bob can take a look for a seam, and also look on the frame for the VIN.  Mech, The VIN is on the right front frame rail, right?  I know on newer trucks it is, but I cant remember on the 70's models. 

I’ve seen it once I’m gonna go out there and look at it now I am going to move it around anyway starts doing some sanding on the nose I shouldn’t say start I should say continue but no you got me going. I’m going to go look at it right now.

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I saw the picture of the rear frame.  I didnt see a seam or joint where the frame was stretched..  Maybe Bob can take a look for a seam, and also look on the frame for the VIN.  Mech, The VIN is on the right front frame rail, right?  I know on newer trucks it is, but I cant remember on the 70's models. 

Yes, the VIN should be on the outside of the RH frame rail, between the axle and the cab.  

image.png.2a25d704950700bccafa60ff41f85510.png

image.png.0604f7c9eb6e51f1cd92caceb87d63a2.png

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

since the frame vin matches the door. i'd say it was a misinterpretation of  model/ serial number reading. a DM607 S could have been taken as a single axle  by memory.  actually a single axle is a T , DM world a S would come under light weight DM vs a DM----SX ; heavy weight .

OK, thanks for that so it looks like somebody change the rear end for some reason you think they would’ve use something with some tall gears instead of this farm tractor rear end but then they probably got them pretty right and being a dump truck. It probably didn’t go very far.

Thanks I broke all three screws on one of the hood latch catches. I knew it was going to happen. I got disgusted and one in the house ha ha plenty of time for that thing. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I think I’ll just use the rest of the day to relax, thanks for that 

36 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

since the frame vin matches the door. I'd say it was a misinterpretation of  model/ serial number reading. a DM607 S could have been taken as a single axle  by memory.  actually a single axle is a T , DM world a S would come under light weight DM vs a DM----SX ; heavy weight .

Yes, "T" would be a tractor.  "P" would be a platform (straight truck).  Not many "P" trucks around, from what I have seen.  Mostly tractors.

An "S" would definitely be a tandem.  An "ST" would always be a tandem-axle tractor.  An "S" could be attached to either "P" or "T", I suppose.  But I don't know if I ever saw an "SP".  "X" was heavy-duty.  "SX" would be a heavy-duty tandem-axle.

They used that same nomenclature through a lot of the models.  B, F, R, U, DM, just to name a few.  Another elegant system Mack used, that Volvo never gave a rat's rear about.

Actually, I just found a brochure in my list showing an "R700S" tandem-axle truck that was not an "R700ST" tandem-axle tractor.  So, they must have just decided not to use the "P" in some applications.  That brochure was a 1972. But, I found other brochures as late as 1976 that still listed certain models as "P"s.

• Like 1

I have these (very) rough scans of a bunch of the old brochures.  I would love to screenshot as many of them as I can and post them on here somewhere.  Maybe in the wiki section?  Some would be hard to read, but on some you can make out the different engines between different models, and you can always see the number of axles!

What does anybody think????  Here's a sample (1965, I believe).

image.thumb.png.8bb46491a5528663f90b0b905630b505.png

Just now, mowerman said:

I have the same problem. I ordinarily go through other guys on here and have them do it since I can’t even post one photo a day sometimes ha ha.

I'll be glad to post what I have.  Just like to know how it would work best for the guys.  A Wiki article?  A new "Old Brochures" thread in the antique section?