Finally got to go for drive

That’s back when I was riding around with my pop  in the U models foaming at the mouth to be old enough to drive one ha ha I was just a young teenager . Had a long wait to be able to get behind the wheel….  I remember back, then going from Massachusetts to New Jersey There was thousands of them out there running that lane Bob

Every time I see pictures of these when they were new I want to cry!  What I wouldn't give to have one of these "new old stock" trucks.  There's a picture in one of my books of a pair of single-axle R600s...one with the Thermodyne and one with the Maxidyne.  If I had the two in that picture, I would be set!

I keep watching for one of the old CA36 cabs to show up.  If I ever find a solid one, it'd be worth finding a truck just to put it on.  Can you imagine finding one of those cabs in a warehouse somewhere?  What would it bring at auction?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Well, the closest I got was my 87U model I bought it two years old with 175,000 miles on it it was white I had the dealer paint it red part of the purchase so it pretty much almost look like those brochure photos. You couldn’t even smell the paint, so it was pretty much immaculate inside and out. Bob

I generally don’t worry about what everybody else thinks about my stuff as long as I am happy with it, but with the spoke  wheels out here and they are terribly out of place unless of course you were working with an antique… Bob

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes Same here … most of us are in the same boat lol… job alone 55 or so hrs a week and that’s without any issues Bob

Well luckily for me I dont get stuck at work passed 6 very often but we always have lots of work to do.

Most of us have yard work to do house parties barbecues bowl, games, trips, honeydews the list just goes on. Yes, a 9 to 5 job would be wonderful. I could do a little bit each day as it is now I can’t do anything at all during the week I am beat to death when I get home, I’m sure I’m not the only one .. Bob

7 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Every time I see pictures of these when they were new I want to cry!  What I wouldn't give to have one of these "new old stock" trucks.  There's a picture in one of my books of a pair of single-axle R600s...one with the Thermodyne and one with the Maxidyne.  If I had the two in that picture, I would be set!

I keep watching for one of the old CA36 cabs to show up.  If I ever find a solid one, it'd be worth finding a truck just to put it on.  Can you imagine finding one of those cabs in a warehouse somewhere?  What would it bring at auction?

somewhere  I  have a picture posted of ole number 1  =R607T 1001. has been rebuilt a few times but still in excellent condition. can notice differences in it versus "newer" R's. still has basically the B model radiator set up. has an electrical situation I was suppose to look at long while back. haven't got there yet. owner one heck of a great person.  NO it's NOT for sale. Mack tried yrs ago to buy it back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Since you mentioned the R607!

image.thumb.png.4a224d15d9587579450980706a100b37.png

look close you can see the difference in the R611ST and R607T picture vs the R611T.  R 611T has the new style mack letters for emblem . other two have the original one plate emblem on the front of hood for Mack.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Sounds like a Duplex.  2 sticks?  Got picture of shift plate?  Could be 9-speed (overdrive) or 10-speed (direct).  Very common behind a 673T.  On the gearcase at the front of the engine, you should see numbers like "T673" or some variation (see below).  Those numbers can help identify the specific variant of the engine.  This one says "T673C", indicating the 250HP version, the ENDT-673C.  Also, there could be a tag on the engine that shows the actual HP rating.  On the pump, maybe?  Can't remember.

R611T...The "611" indicates that it came with a ENDT-673 Thermodyne of some version.  The "T", if you didn't already know, indicates that it was a single-screw Tractor.  "ST" would have been the tandem-axle version.

We need more pictures!  We love pictures!

image.png.e92659323b613b25930733eb29914a0d.png

This is the shift plate. I believe the transmission is a TRD(L) 722(0) it has two sticks and a third one to engage the pto in forward or reverse. I’ll look for some engine numbers this weekend but in another thread I asked about the vin number because on the title the vin number says ENDT673C. According to what I’ve been told is that they didn’t really do the vin thing back in 69 and using the engine code was something they did. 

748D3224-1C19-45B0-B425-91FB655C6AA0.jpeg

10 hours ago, mowerman said:

My god I would love to have that truck in the brochure photo brand spanking new as we know most of us wind up with them after they have been beat to death and need everything lol Bob

It would have been really cool to see my truck when it was brand new.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

are you trying to make me feel old??LOL .I drove those in the brochure  when they were brand new. LMAO🤣.

If you really wanna feel old, my mom was 8 in 1969 when my Mack was built. Lol I wasn’t even thought of yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robo987 said:

If you really wanna feel old, my mom was 8 in 1969 when my Mack was built. Lol I wasn’t even thought of yet.

I was 4...:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

7 hours ago, Robo987 said:

The transmission may actually be just a 722 and not a 722(0).

Yes, then you have a direct drive trans.  The "0" at the end would have made it an overdrive model, and it would be called a 9-speed (hi-4th and lo-5th would have been basically the same gear).  With the direct 10-speed, you can split each gear in the main using the compound.  On the 9-speed model, you could split the first 4 and only (typically) use hi-5th.  Depending on the axle ratio, you should be good for 60mph or so.

If you do have the 673C, that is (IMHO) one of the best versions of the Thermodyne.  I had that in the '70 I had, and I drove one (too) many years ago to pull a lowboy trailer.  Seems like it was a '66 or '67.  Had the 18-speed Quadruplex.  Was a tough, tough motor.  Of course, it was nothing compared to the HP of the later ones.  But, it was a good, reliable piece.

The one I drove back then had the air filter retrofitted to use a paper element inside the original oil-bath housing.  When I had my other one a few years back, I tried to find one of those conversion kits, but had no luck at all.  I think Donaldson has a complete unit that will work, though, if you're interested.

Got to admit to being more than a little jealous!  That truck has great potential.

2 hours ago, Robo987 said:

The guy I bought it from said it’ll do about 65. I’ll look into potentially changing gears and getting a little more speed out of it later on after I get everything else done. I plan on keeping the oil bath filter. As long as they are maintained there’s nothing wrong with it, plus I really like the look of the tall filter housing. This thing has so much potential, it’s used and obviously needs some stuff done to it but it’s not a rusted piece of crap. It got lucky and was used in a time when the hands were actually decent and took care of things. I’m excited to start working on it, gonna try to do some YouTube videos and film the process.

Mine had 4.17:1 rears under it, and it would do 60-62 easily.  65 was possible, but it was turning pretty high by then.  Didn't really want to wind it much beyond there.  It had 11.00-22.5 tires.  Taller tires would have made it move along a little faster.  On the build sheet, the original purchaser had asked for 60 MPH.  So, they gave him a little extra.

Yep, you've got yourself a real good one there!  Enjoy!

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robo987 said:

The guy I bought it from said it’ll do about 65. I’ll look into potentially changing gears and getting a little more speed out of it later on after I get everything else done. I plan on keeping the oil bath filter. As long as they are maintained there’s nothing wrong with it, plus I really like the look of the tall filter housing. This thing has so much potential, it’s used and obviously needs some stuff done to it but it’s not a rusted piece of crap. It got lucky and was used in a time when the hands were actually decent and took care of things. I’m excited to start working on it, gonna try to do some YouTube videos and film the process.

Have you sent into the Mack Museum yet to get all the build information and data for it yet? The big packet of information they will send you is neat to have. It will tell you all the specs on how it was ordered, who ordered it, etc. They will provide all the serial numbers of the main components so you can tell if its a "numbers matching" truck. Not that any of that really matters but its just neat to know the history of the truck. Beast part is the information is basically free. They ask for a small donation but its not required.

• Like 2