Power Steering

Anybody converted a B61 over to a more practical power steering? Mine has the old style with the PS pump mounted on the back of the generator but its going to get changed to an updated alternator so I loose my pump. Thanks

Yes, big time. When I repowered my B42 I installed a large Sheppard box and ran it off a small pump at the back of the generator. When I upgraded to a 237 it came with a larger pump at the back of the compressor. I also upgraded the reservoir from a R model. I searched for a 237 with that arrangement. That pump arrangement made a world of difference in the boxes operation. The other option is a Garrison add on unit, using the original box, an add on piston on the tie rod and a built in valve unit on the drag link. I can get you pictures next week, if you’d like.

• Like 1

If you could post a picture the 237 with the large pump on the back of the compressor that would really help me a lot. That way I know whar I an looking for.Right now there is a 673 in the truck, are most air compressors interchanagble? Thanks

Yes, you can find a compressor that has an open back to attach a power steering pump.

Be careful swapping compressors.  Some (all?) have an oil feed tube that goes into the front of the input shaft which can easily be lost during the operation.

Here is a little light reading for you...

Mack_Tu-Flo Power Steering.pdf

And here is a picture of a Bendix compressor on an ENDT-673C.  The power steering pump is circled in red.

image.png.5dcbb5d0fc188f51ecc4f608da48481b.png

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

13 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

I’ve seen two styles of attachment, what you posted (that’s what I have) and an earlier version that’s belt driven off a pulley and with the pump mounted to a bracket. The direct mount is the preferable one in my view..

Agreed.

I may be wrong (again) ; the compressor capable of mounting PS pump has a slot  in "crankshaft " end to which the PS coupler bolts to? one allen bolt holds coupler to crank? seems I some what remember there  is a tiny oil port in crank/ coupler combo; ?? PS pump shaft  5/8-3/4 splined.

I believe there are 2 different styles.  One has 3 bolts and the other is like Mecho is describing (one bolt and a key).  Both have a splined bore on the other end to accept the P/S pump shaft, IIRC.

Here is one example...

image.png.dd61fae84a9168cfff5e6d8114e473dd.png

And here is another style...

image.png.45f1f44c22acd1694116f097c940d965.png

Part "B" in the image...

image.png.139a1c9d8eb3d6106023a555febd341a.png

Both the part numbers in the list I posted still pull up on Google from various sources.  So, I believe the numbers are still good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 7:04 AM, nam vet said:

Anybody converted a B61 over to a more practical power steering? Mine has the old style with the PS pump mounted on the back of the generator but its going to get changed to an updated alternator so I loose my pump. Thanks

Ever figure out anything on this???

Somebody asked if I had found a solution to my PS situation. My donor truck{engine,trans} arrived yesterday. As soon as I get a chance to check out the compressor and see whats up, I will know which direction I am headed. Thanks to everyone who posted info and took the time to send diagrams and internet links.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Here's what I am up against. The closest Mack dealer to me has changed hands and the people running the parts counter are on the younger side with limited experience, so when I explain what I am trying to accomplish it kinda confuses them. I have contacted 2 truck salvage yards in my area and they told me I could come up and "look around."  Here's my question,is there a kit out there or somebody with the expertise that can take my generator and change the insides over to an alternator? That way my generator looks original and mounts in the stock location, and I can keep my PS pump mounted in the stock location on the back of the generator/alternator. Thanks

Why do you want to make it into an alternator? A 6V generator in good condition will make 15+ volts when not connected to a battery. All you would need to do is install a 12V regulator in lieu of the 6V. Not the ideal solution but works very well for a long time. Eventually the fields in the generator will burn up by doing this but it will take a very long time considering how little electronics there are on a 1957 B model. Personally I would try that first....

• Like 1

Then once the fields in the generator burn up (if it ever happens) just get them changed to 12V. No need for an alternator. Especially in this case when eliminating the generator gives you power steering pump issues. 

Wow.Great info.One final question. You mentioned the lack of electronics. This truck is a wrecker with beacons,flashing lights and just cool old running lights. Its a toy,Christmas parades etc and will probably sit in the yard a lot of the time. Will the big elec draw from the added lights burn the generator fields more quickly? Thanks again for your help

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Why do you want to make it into an alternator? A 6V generator in good condition will make 15+ volts when not connected to a battery. All you would need to do is install a 12V regulator in lieu of the 6V. Not the ideal solution but works very well for a long time. Eventually the fields in the generator will burn up by doing this but it will take a very long time considering how little electronics there are on a 1957 B model. Personally I would try that first....

His generator should be 12 volts already, if it is charging ok i wouldn't change a thing.   terry:MackLogo:

There is mob in the states that convert generators to alternators but they look the same as a generator when done

They do them for old caterpillar generators so I would think a Mack truck one shouldn't be a issue

Maybe sign up to the ACMOC forum and ask there or do some googling 

Paul

• Like 1

Try Don's Starters and Alternators( www.gener-nator.com) in Lane County, OR. They do generator to Alternator conversions using the original case.

Although, I would do the compressor/pump arrangement and then convert to an alternator. I think you'll be happier with that set up.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, nam vet said:

Wow.Great info.One final question. You mentioned the lack of electronics. This truck is a wrecker with beacons,flashing lights and just cool old running lights. Its a toy,Christmas parades etc and will probably sit in the yard a lot of the time. Will the big elec draw from the added lights burn the generator fields more quickly? Thanks again for your help

On 5/19/2023 at 3:24 PM, terry said:

His generator should be 12 volts already, if it is charging ok i wouldn't change a thing.   terry

Yea I guess I don't really know what is going on here. If its a 6V system then running a 12V regulator on the 6V generator (assuming its in good working order) will work for quite a while. How long considering the extra beacons and strobe lights? I have no clue. I was thinking along the lines of a typical antique truck like a road tractor or flatbed that really only has headlights and a heater blower motor maybe and only gets driven a few times a month. These old B models had air wipers and no radio or power accessories whatsoever. And most trucks don't get driven in the winter or at night so really that just leaves the turn signals and starter.

If its a 12V generator then just leave it alone unless its not working. If its not working just get it rebuilt so you can keep your power steering pump arrangement alone. No need to switch it to an alternator. 

• Like 1