E9

So I found this stuck to my drain plug when I changed oil on my e9 does anyone have an idea what it is it looks like a bushing of some sort but not a main or rod I thought maybe it was from the air compressor so I took an old one apart and nothing in it that’s similar so I’m thinking either wrist pin bushing or maybe the turbo bushing any help is appreciated pictures added below 

7A45BC4F-708F-4B75-A22F-223786DCD22C.jpeg

3B74FBC5-31E9-4BEC-916B-97EB191244A2.jpeg

C6799F98-7EDC-4FE5-9C78-977C212A7276.jpeg

B9C6ABD1-0736-4106-975A-8A7C75FA88E8.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mack superdog said:

So I found this stuck to my drain plug when I changed oil on my e9 does anyone have an idea what it is it looks like a bushing of some sort but not a main or rod I thought maybe it was from the air compressor so I took an old one apart and nothing in it that’s similar so I’m thinking either wrist pin bushing or maybe the turbo bushing any help is appreciated pictures added below 

7A45BC4F-708F-4B75-A22F-223786DCD22C.jpeg

3B74FBC5-31E9-4BEC-916B-97EB191244A2.jpeg

C6799F98-7EDC-4FE5-9C78-977C212A7276.jpeg

B9C6ABD1-0736-4106-975A-8A7C75FA88E8.jpeg

Wrist pin bushing is the most common failure ! Specially  If you got the engine turned up !The shape is very similar to  wrist pin! to big for turbo peices !  compressors is ball bearing!

Just sayin!

expanded picture large as possible , tough call. based on smooth sides a liner piece would be in top five possibilities. any other contaminates in oil. this is a situation why i always use a clean drain pan when oil changing.  let old oil set a while then run a magnet through see what fine particles show up. oil analysis might help. how was engine running ?? noise/pressure etc

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

expanded picture large as possible , tough call. based on smooth sides a liner piece would be in top five possibilities. any other contaminates in oil. this is a situation why i always use a clean drain pan when oil changing.  let old oil set a while then run a magnet through see what fine particles show up. oil analysis might help. how was engine running ?? noise/pressure etc

That was the only piece I cut all 3 oil filters apart and there was nothing at all in the papers truck runs fine and has good oil pressure I was just changing oil as normal I do it every 10k miles 

• Like 1

could be one of those things which will never amount to anything; but has more of a mental strain on you ;;, always wondering driving down the road. if not being done at present time , possibly oil sampling if there is availability . helps monitor internals. 

• Like 1

Wrist pin bushings come out in chunks like that rarely any fuzz keep a close ear on that! If you find more next oil change pull the pan and start looking just sayin! Hopefully it makes it to the change with out a failure!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

Probably better to pull the pan off and give it a thorough look at the wrist pins.  You might find yourself looking in there without removing the pan.

It is really hard to find the offending rod until the chunks are bigger ! Usually happens on the bottom of the bushing though! you need to bring each piston to the bottom and look real close!

• Like 2

That certainly looks like it is Bi-metal with a large radius. It maybe a piece off a well worn crankshaft thrust bearing. The rear side bearing does wear especially with a stiff clutch and being held down for extended periods of time. This could be the outer lip that is generated as the crank wears into the bearing. Crank walk and adjusting the clutch would be a sign of this.

Edited by AZB755V8
  • Like 1